ScottCM

Always good to get the view of the people this really affects :thumbup:

Change is always difficult to manage - especially with so much history involved. Quite like your idea of positions instead... 10-20 in both cats get Wally. But that I guess would also upset the men then... imagine you klap your first and only sub 6 next year and finish 23rd.

Does seem off to say goodbye to the option of a medal for ladies...

Sub 7 Wally

Sub 7:30 Silver

Always tricky these things

Yeah, as with any change there will always be split opinion. I imagine some of the women in Ferret's group have their eye on something higher than silver though. Mia, Vicky and Franci all have the potential for gold.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the naming of the mens and ladies medal for certain times, I wonder how long before the gender neutrals will start making some noise.

My not so brilliant early statistical prediction for the 2019 results... fewer Bill Rowans run but more sub 10's

So in a way, this is gonna increase the value of your BR Stretchy [emoji106]

I've got a mate that hovers around 9:45 to 10... He's quite capable of a BR... First thing I said to him this morning is... He's gonna get lazy and just accept the new medal instead of working towards his BR

I've got a mate that hovers around 9:45 to 10... He's quite capable of a BR... First thing I said to him this morning is... He's gonna get lazy and just accept the new medal instead of working towards his BR

Lazy 9:45 Comrades runner...  :ph34r:

Because It's being advertised as a women's Wally Hayward.. Which it's not. You quoted the numbers.. But in 2015 there was not one Wally Hayward given out... So it's not always easily attainable by a handful

That got me wondering how far back we'd have to go to find a race where no women would have been eligible for a Roche-Kelly. It ends up being 1992. The woman who finished in 10th place there posted a time of 07:39.

Interestingly, only the first three women were awarded gold, compared to the top ten men. In 1995 it was increased to five golds and only changed to ten golds in 1998. The Bill Rowan was introduced a year later and the Wally Hayward medal was introduced in 2009, a lot more recently than I thought. There must have been wailing and gnashing of teeth from the purists.

Since its introduction ten years ago, 98 men have earned a Wally Hayward and 99 women have earned a silver. Going back 20 years that figure changes to 214 Haywards and 195 women silvers.

Since its introduction ten years ago, 98 men have earned a Wally Hayward and 99 women have earned a silver. Going back 20 years that figure changes to 214 Haywards and 195 women silvers.

I'm a Big Stats person Myself so Thanks for this, very interesting

I don't necessarily think its unfair where the time Bracket lies, and your stats prove that it is "Equality" as it will get.

I'm obviously No women but I do know I worked bloody hard for my Silver medal for years, and I know some of them would still rather have the Purist Comrades silver medal... 2nd hardest Silver in the country behind Two Oceans Ultra..

My not so brilliant early statistical prediction for the 2019 results... fewer Bill Rowans run but more sub 10's 

So in a way, this is gonna increase the value of your BR Stretchy  :thumbup:

Exactly the same as when the Bill Rowan was introduced, less Silvers more BR's

Easier to settle than bleed through your eyeballs chasing slightly out of reach targets..

So how did everyones CTM go?

I wasnt quite used to the long distance (and only started training 8 weeks prior). I manage to squeak out a 3h40. I was really pushing for a 3h30 but the wheels came off at 30km

On the plus side I managed a new PB at gun run yesterday. Ran a 1h33 half marathon. Hopefully i'll be getting a sub 1h30 soon

So how did everyones CTM go?

I wasnt quite used to the long distance (and only started training 8 weeks prior). I manage to squeak out a 3h40. I was really pushing for a 3h30 but the wheels came off at 30km

On the plus side I managed a new PB at gun run yesterday. Ran a 1h33 half marathon. Hopefully i'll be getting a sub 1h30 soon

Sounds like the gun was a fast race. Friend of mine smashed a 1:21 pb for that

This is me not suffering from fomo at all [emoji30]. Geez the okes ran fast times at the CTM and Gun Run. Would have loved to do it but according to the doctor I’ll most likely only start running January next year [emoji30]

Edited by Ronniek

More importantly ... How did the hill-sprints-of-death go?

I know I'm not going to enjoy any of the answers to this but… what is the simplest way of measuring one's max HR? Lots of conflicting answers on the internet. I know there's the rough formula but I'm more interested in a (dreaded) real world test.

More importantly ... How did the hill-sprints-of-death go?

Eeeeeish, haven't braved them yet. Also need to find a wingman to keep an eye on me (or film for YouTube) for the purposes of both holding me accountable to push my hardest or resuscitating me.

But my nutrition test went well over the weekend. I was trying to experiment with my calculations for calories in vs calories out and, although it was admittedly a very easy paced run, I feel like I got the eating thing right. If I can feel as good as that on race day I'll be a happy man.