ScottCM

Yip most good runners can get a sub 90min 21km with a bit of training. But to go sub 75min is where he is making a fool of himself.

Going from 4:17min/km down to 3:34min/km is a massive leap

He probably saw some Kenya runner averaging sub 3min/km and thought how hard can it be.

He's obviously got a very impressive engine to do a sub 90 with only 6 weeks of running. But that 75 was indeed a pipe dream.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I've seen them.   Unfortunately they still don't come close to the price of the Aonijie.   I get those Takelot prices -25% as well.

Did you end up getting one of these? Takelot seems out of stock (their supplier is listed as out of stock) so I'm tempted to buy one through Alixexpress.

I checked in and saw that tjop who wanted to run a 75 half just managed a sub 90. A good achievement no doubt.. But far from his bragging goal

What's his timeline again? 

Either way, to go from little running experience to knocking out a 1:30 is very impressive! The course he ran also seems pretty crappy - lots of turns, a bit of elevation and a double loop. 

If he's still got some training time available and can find a flat out 'n back route, I think he should come close to a 75min. 

Anyone else experience this before with their Garmin devices? Went for a run this morning, using my HRM Tri for HR, got home and synced the watch with the strap (to download the HR data) and the took it off. A bit later, I synced my watch to my phone and saw that crazy HR spike. 

post-62668-0-22482800-1561967970_thumb.png

Now, I'm quite sure if my HR reached 243 bpm whilst ironing a shirt, I wouldn't be typing this. Similar thing happened a while back. 

I'm not too fussed, as long as my HR readings are generally accurate, but anyone knows what might cause this? 

What's his timeline again?

Either way, to go from little running experience to knocking out a 1:30 is very impressive! The course he ran also seems pretty crappy - lots of turns, a bit of elevation and a double loop.

If he's still got some training time available and can find a flat out 'n back route, I think he should come close to a 75min.

That was his timeline.. He failed... Chap I run with ran the same time in a race that had the same elevation but was over mountain trail, stairs, beach and road.. his pb is 1:25 and some change in a flat fast half marathon route. I'm not saying he couldn't... But knocking off 5 minutes even once you are under 90 takes a massive effort Edited by Stretch

Anyone else experience this before with their Garmin devices? Went for a run this morning, using my HRM Tri for HR, got home and synced the watch with the strap (to download the HR data) and the took it off. A bit later, I synced my watch to my phone and saw that crazy HR spike.

IMG_5287.PNG

Now, I'm quite sure if my HR reached 243 bpm whilst ironing a shirt, I wouldn't be typing this. Similar thing happened a while back.

I'm not too fussed, as long as my HR readings are generally accurate, but anyone knows what might cause this?

The times I’ve experienced this has been linked to electricity/appliances.

During a training session, high voltage power lines in the vicinity can cause these spikes. I’ve also seen it happen when I get too close to an induction cooktop.

Perhaps you got something similar while ironing that shirt...

That was his timeline.. He failed... Chap I run with ran the same time in a race that had the same elevation but was over mountain trail, stairs, beach and road.. She his pb is 1:25 and some change in a flat fast half marathon route. I'm not saying he couldn't... But knocking off 5 minutes even once you are under 90 takes a massive effort

Ah, okay. 

Yeah, I think once you break through 1:30, it becomes almost exponentially more difficult to make big leaps in your pace. 

I think he's got the engine and the build to be a fast runner, perhaps with more time. 

Ultimately, his goal was overly ambitious, but he gave it a good go. 

The times I’ve experienced this has been linked to electricity/appliances.

During a training session, high voltage power lines in the vicinity can cause these spikes. I’ve also seen it happen when I get too close to an induction cooktop.

Perhaps you got something similar while ironing that shirt...

Guess that could be the case. 

Will keep an eye on it. 

That feeling you have, when:

You've graduated from C25K to the 10k bridge program (halfway done) and you've just had good (for you) 9Ks on the prior 2 days, now it's the Sunday run and you've turned yourself inside out to go longer than 10Ks.

You look at Strava on your phone as you finish and you see "press start".

Embrace the Suck.

Did my first race since my lovely bout of pneumonia, nearly exactly 1 month after the last meds were taken.

The trailseeker 40km trail run at buffelsdrift was actually a really good route, tougher than expected but a great run good mix of tech and open dirt roads.

I was on pace to go 3h40m until about 37km when the wheels came off badly, snuck through just over 4 hours in the end. 

Pretty happy to be running properly again with a happier pair of longs, no niggles and no pain so all good. Now the final push to Itera in 6 weeks. 3 or 4 big weeks ahead still

Did you end up getting one of these? Takelot seems out of stock (their supplier is listed as out of stock) so I'm tempted to buy one through Alixexpress.

Not yet, only in a few months' time.   Please give feedback when you get yours.