ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That feeling when your hard 10k looks like this on Strava when you're done. Stupid "smart"phone!

Samsung? My wife`s samsung S9 is just as useless.....

blixem

This year, four competitors will be RUNNING TO RHODES. Yes, you read correctly, Andy Wesson, Nicky Booyens, Peter Purchase and Dean Barclay will be taking on the full 480km RTR route on foot. Fear not, they are all very experienced ultra-endurance athletes, all having previously completed the 417km Munga Trail. They start in the 2nd batch on 16 March and will aim to do it within the same cut-offs and rules as applied to riders. 

blixem

This year, four competitors will be RUNNING TO RHODES. Yes, you read correctly, Andy Wesson, Nicky Booyens, Peter Purchase and Dean Barclay will be taking on the full 480km RTR route on foot. Fear not, they are all very experienced ultra-endurance athletes, all having previously completed the 417km Munga Trail. They start in the 2nd batch on 16 March and will aim to do it within the same cut-offs and rules as applied to riders. 

Where did you see this announcement?

I have been sitting on that secret for months now, waiting for the announcement. I know they are all rather excited and been prepping for months already. 

blixem

Munga is cancelled now isn't it? So the crazies need to start taking over other sports... I like it

Munga is cancelled now isn't it? So the crazies need to start taking over other sports... I like it

I have also been sitting on that news for months!

It makes sense to use the existing infrastructure to support them. 100 to 140km between aid stations is the BIG difference between this and a 'normal' ultra trail.

It's not the first time people are attempting to traverse the Freedom trail on foot. A few years ago, Australian runner Samantha Gash attempted the entire route. I can't recall how they got on but I remember the attempt. She has subsequently run across India and all sorts of ridiculous things.

I met her when she was here for EA 2016. All 5 foot of her!

I had a brilliant Pirates 21km run today. With 5km to go I realised I could possibly go sub 1h40 but missed it with 6 seconds.

Best run I have ever had. Legs just wanted to Go the entire way.

Very nice, that's a proper route, so 1:40 is great going

I did my first marathon yesterday - Peninsula.  Finished in 5:04, bonked in the last 2km to miss a sub 5 for Oceans.  Now I'm trying to decide if I should do West coast a week after my first CT cycle tour, to try again.

42km is soooo much further than 21km!  :eek:

I did my first marathon yesterday - Peninsula.  Finished in 5:04, bonked in the last 2km to miss a sub 5 for Oceans.  Now I'm trying to decide if I should do West coast a week after my first CT cycle tour, to try again.

Hard luck... .the jump from 21km to a marathon is massive. Always try do some incremental distances between beforehand to get your body and mind prepared...

OMTOM qualifying closes 9 March unless I am mistaken, so West Coast would be too late unless I have the wrong info. 

I also did Peninsula yesterday. It was touch and go after having not run since 3 days before Red Hill marathon due to severe Gastric flu and then nasal congestion and 'real' flu in the week leading up.

Managed a deliberately slow, 6min/km 4:13 to qualify for Oceans and get the ball rolling again properly after a month of Illness and bad luck.

As Andrew says, you need to do some runs over 30km in the build up if you're not used to the distance.

The jump from 42 to 56 is even bigger if you're not used to it. My advice would be to do 2 more marathons this year, then Red Hill or Peninsula 2021 and crack Oceans in 2021.

If you're struggling for a sub 5 now, the 5 weeks you have left between now and then probably isn't enough to get you home comfortably.