ScottCM

He makes customised orthotics according to your video analysis. The orthotics last 3 years (depending on the number of kms your run). I have seen him twice in the 6 years. 

Comic Sans Hacc!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had such a laugh now - just have to share.

For various reasons I had to go and fetch my daughter today, take her to some appointments, etc. 

We sit chatting about this virus and I ask her - so how's it affecting you guys at school. Other than extended holidays, of course. (Background - she's in an all-girls school...) So she says... well, apparently we now have to catch up work via Google classroom - that's just not holiday! I really cannot fault her logic there.

And then being the positive one she is continues into... So we know and have been told the hug thing is a bit of a no-no. So now most of them do the "elbow pump". 

And then... (That's my girl!) she and her buddy worked out this really freaking cool "foot shake"! As a greeting, she even taught me it. Unreal - they just don't let anything phase them and find a solution! 

Ja well, it's a bit off the running topic. So I called Oceans right, who knows what may happen in the time to Comrades. I honestly told my wife on Friday evening - I'm not running Oceans. There's just no way I can take a sachet and pop it into my mouth not knowing where it's been. (I know I'll get slayed for not carrying my own)

And I think the moral of the story is - we must be like the kids. They simply roll with the punches. There are some thing money can't replace. I am fortunate to have a beaut of a mountain in my back yard. I expect to use it extensively over the coming few months, both running and riding.

We may not have a next target race. So what?! Be ready for one when it comes along. Stay healthy, stay safe, stay active.

Races being cancelled all over the place, but still the CMA keeps quiet and says the race will continue. I honestly dont think this virus will magically disappear withing 2 months. There are people that dont have much money that's booking places to stay in Durban. They could rather use that money to stock up on essential goods if things get worse. Just my 2c.

Is everyone still sticking to their training schedules? With all the uncertainty I'm sure the motivation is low. I've got some big weeks coming up, so I'll just keep running for the sake of running. If Comrades gets canceled at least I'll get out of winter fit and ready for the first 2021qualifer. If the world didn't end by then.

If by any chance Comrades continues and the rate at which races got cancelled

I really feel sorry for anyone who has not qualified yet and that are planning on going.

Not a lot of opportunties left.

Is everyone still sticking to their training schedules?

If you look at other countries, it takes about 3 months for the infection curve to flatten. Im calling it now and planning on a 3 month break. I will bike more, and scale back to 2-3 10km runs per week

but still the CMA keeps quiet 

The silence is deafening yes. 

I think it is poor that there is no communication, even if they don't have the decision as yet (which I believe they are still waiting and hoping it can continue), just communicate it.

PS: If it goes ahead, I'm not sure I want to go line up there between the thousands and tear open water sachets with my mouth... 

Edited by Jackes

https://coachparry.com/running-uncertain-times-covid-19/

The first thing I want to encourage you to do is to keep running. 

There is lots of literature that points to the fact that moderate exercise boosts the immune system so it is in your best interest to keep on running. 

There is also plenty of research that shows that hard training can cause a dip in your immune system so you do want to curb those really hard training sessions in the coming 4-8 weeks.

I really feel sorry for anyone who has not qualified yet and that are planning on going.

This was interesting for me regarding Comrades qualifications... 

https://www.facebook.com/norrie.williamson.9/posts/10158435523460087

Therefore a decision now by CMA would be flawed IMO - however an announcement reinforcing how they will monitor the situation is required and how often they will make updates is key to managing expectations

Qualification:

This really is NOT an issue if one considers history:

The qualification was NEVER introduced for health reasons (that was an excuse used in the past two decades by those who didn’t know the history )

In 1975 the organisers (collegian Harriers) brought in both a 1500 runner limit and a 4:30 marathon qualifier to ensure that not more than 1500 runners (and their cars / bikes for seconding as there were no tables ) would be on the road. There was genuine concern that provincial authorities were going to stop the race due to congestion on roads

In fact the 1975 had 1668 entries with qualifying times and the 168 were rejected

The cap of 1500 was dropped in future years and when limits were reintroduced even the comrades chair of the time could not quote or answer questions on the history

(he passed the question to an older member of the public at the media conference as to why that gent thought the qualifier had been introduced. . Speaks volumes of some of the past Comrades board knowledge )

You can add Irene Ultra to the list

Waiting for Wally Hayward, saw the Fresh Trails at Wolwespruit has been postponed to May.

I'm pretty much resigned to the possibility that Comrades won't happen for me this year regardless of whether it gets cancelled. Pretty much all the races I earmarked as training runs/qualifiers have been canned, and I'm not one of those people that go for a 30km long run on my own, the boredom kills me.