ScottCM

Well done again to CMA for not overreacting and canceling the event.

My bookings are all canceled, I will rebook if a new date is announced. Im still training. No worries. Not going to break my head about this.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the postponed date is after the regular period for pre entries. Except a lot of moaning.

Problem is this.. There are people who have overseas flights booked and accommodation. They can't cancel outright because the fees will be high but they also can't change the dates because they don't know what dates to change to. It's fine taking a cancellation fee in a local flight... But less so on an international flight... Especially when planned to coincide with a family holiday

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is this.. There are people who have overseas flights booked and accommodation. They can't cancel outright because the fees will be high but they also can't change the dates because they don't know what dates to change to. It's fine taking a cancellation fee in a local flight... But less so on an international flight... Especially when planned to coincide with a family holiday

Its a difficult situation. But Im sure CMA is not sitting around a table trying to find the best way to frustrate the runners. I appreciate that they are still trying to make the race happen. If the unknown postponement date is turning into a logistical nightmare for some then obviously they should rather cancel their plans.

If they go for November 15th, it will clash with IronManSA this year. This means that those who usually do both won't be able to. I was only planning on being a spectator at IMSA, so I won't be too unhappy. My only issue is that when I start training again, will I have enough time to get ready? Been chilling for more than 4 weeks now.

From a different view, if they chose a date that would be a guarantee for extreme temperatures, how about a night run from 17:30 to 05:30 instead? It will probably be humid but no sun to drain you. They just have to add lighting to their prep.

Edited by tjommies3

My only issue is that when I start training again, will I have enough time to get ready? Been chilling for more than 4 weeks now.

November is 7 months away, if you keep doing easy base miles you can ramp up late winter and still arrive in top condition.

If you are going to do nothing until a date is fixed, well then you will have a problem.

I think quite a few runners are not keen on doing long miles through winter though ????

If they go for November 15th, it will clash with IronManSA this year. This means that those who usually do both won't be able to. I was only planning on being a spectator at IMSA, so I won't be too unhappy. My only issue is that when I start training again, will I have enough time to get ready? Been chilling for more than 4 weeks now.

From a different view, if they chose a date that would be a guarantee for extreme temperatures, how about a night run from 17:30 to 05:30 instead? It will probably be humid but no sun to drain you. They just have to add lighting to their prep.

First week of October would be the latest as mentioned in the media release a few weeks ago. Besides being way too hot, anything beyond that and it starts clashing with too many end of year marathons and early year marathons for the 2021 qualification. Running two Comrades only 8 months apart is also not the best idea if running them hard.

A night race wouldn't work. Far too dark and wouldn't work for TV, sponsors etc.

First week of October would be the latest as mentioned in the media release a few weeks ago. Besides being way too hot, anything beyond that and it starts clashing with too many end of year marathons and early year marathons for the 2021 qualification. Running two Comrades only 8 months apart is also not the best idea if running them hard.

A night race wouldn't work. Far too dark and wouldn't work for TV, sponsors etc.

There's no way it can go on after september because of the heat... Which leaves there months recovery for the 2021.. Which is doable

November is 7 months away, if you keep doing easy base miles you can ramp up late winter and still arrive in top condition.

If you are going to do nothing until a date is fixed, well then you will have a problem.

I think quite a few runners are not keen on doing long miles through winter though

Minus 1 month as well due to Ramadhan starting next Saturday

Since the lockdown I managed to stick to my training program on the treadmill. Somedays it's absolute torture, other days time flies by. I managed to mitigate most of the boredom by watching Netflix and YouTube.

However what I started to notice is a very noticeable improvement in my fitness. My resting HR dropped 3 beats in the last month and I just feel much stronger and are able to maintain higher Ave speeds at lower heartrates.

Is this because the training environment is so much more controled? If I do long Z2 runs I can stay in my zones for 100% of the time if I do intervals and tempo runs I can hit my target pace consistently.

Im sure if I hit the road again I will notice immediately where the treadmill lacks, but its just an interesting observation.

Oh and recovery is just so much faster, the treadmill impact is much lower, dont know if this is good, but I can no run 6 days a week where I normally took 2 rest days.

Edited by Mudsimus

What would you more experienced runners recommend out of New Balance and Brooks? I'm happy with my Pegasus 35's, but looking at trying a different brand of shoes when the 35's are ready to retire.

What would you more experienced runners recommend out of New Balance and Brooks? I'm happy with my Pegasus 35's, but looking at trying a different brand of shoes when the 35's are ready to retire.

Why change if you are happy? Pegasus 36. Otherwise try the Nike React range. The odessy react is my new favorite shoe. Very stable and lighter than the Peg 35 and Zoom Fly.

Been running in Brooks for a couple of years now, quite happy (from Asics previously)

Brooks Bedlams, then Adrenalin 19 and now Adrenalin 20 now

But as Mudi says, why change of you are happy (one of the laws of running)

Been running in Brooks for a couple of years now, quite happy (from Asics previously)

Brooks Bedlams, then Adrenalin 19 and now Adrenalin 20 now

But as Mudi says, why change of you are happy (one of the laws of running)

What's the support like on the adrenaline Swiss? I'm aching to move away from the gt2000

I would recommend the HOKA Clifton 6. Its light, responsive but most of all...highly cushioned! Had number of persisting knee issues in the past and after trying Nike, Asics I've found Hoka to be the one.   

What's the support like on the adrenaline Swiss? I'm aching to move away from the gt2000

Not sure about the support on the Swiss, but might be worth trying the Hoka Arahi 4. Very stabile but as light and plush as the neutral shoes in the range. 

I would recommend the HOKA Clifton 6. Its light, responsive but most of all...highly cushioned! Had number of persisting knee issues in the past and after trying Nike, Asics I've found Hoka to be the one.

Ive tried Hoka twice now. The cushion/weight/response ratio is just way out. They feel so sluggish and slow compared to everything else I use. And they just dont last. My Clifton 4s were literally falling apart at 300km. That said, if you want a shoe for recovery runs they are great, the cushioning, especially on the forefoot is something else.

Ive tried Hoka twice now. The cushion/weight/response ratio is just way out. They feel so sluggish and slow compared to everything else I use. And they just dont last. My Clifton 4s were literally falling apart at 300km. That said, if you want a shoe for recovery runs they are great, the cushioning, especially on the forefoot is something else.

I see, myself had a bad experience with version 4 but from version 5 and newer there's been vast positive improvements. Complete different feel to the older generations. 

The Rincon might be worth trying if you want a more lightweight responsive ride, its labelled the racing Clifton. 

Edited by 3 wheel Hubber