ScottCM

Since Sunday I have been pondering this. I done the Virtual Half Comrades using my hydration backpack and it was horrible. My calves and shoulders definitely felt it. Yet I don’t see any other way of doing things going forward? The carry my own movement is definitely going to pick up steam going forward.

I mentioned this a few months back when I moved over to the hydration pack. It houses a 2L bladder and I filled it all the way (mistake) for my first run. Shoulders and calves took the most strain. I then tried it with less water and I got used to it in no time. It no longer feels like I'm carrying the weight.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the uncomfortable question.

How does one handle the mid run emergency bowel movement? With cycling it's generally not an issue coz you can pop in to a coffee shop.

With running every single foot strike makes the problem worse until is simply cannot be ignored.

During the week our little 6k efforts are fine coz you wake up and hit the road before the rest of your bdy wakes up and by the time usual bodily functions kick in you are back home.

So a few weeks ago I bought new shoes from the sweat shop in Claremont. I kept rolling my ankle running in my Adidas trail running shoes. Since buying my stability shoes touch wood I've had no issues. My other half and I are doing two 6k runs and one 8k a week so hardly headed for Boston marahon glory but it's a start.

She's been complaining about sore feet for the last few weeks so we headed off to the Sweatshop again for hopefully a new insole or something for her.

The salesguy had her taped from the second we walked in. He stood her on that machine that measures your feet. Had her run up and down a bit and pulled out a pair of Rose Gold Asics Gel Nimbus for her to try on. SOLD!

She's super happy and she had to wait 10 minutes for me on our 8k run on Saturday.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

How does one handle the mid run emergency bowel movement? With cycling it's generally not an issue coz you can pop in to a coffee shop.

With running every single foot strike makes the problem worse until is simply cannot be ignored.

During the week our little 6k efforts are fine coz you wake up and hit the road before the rest of your bdy wakes up and by the time usual bodily functions kick in you are back home.

There are three options:

1. You attempt to walk home. This has the benefit of reducing the bouncing/jarring effect of running but you are sacrificing time

2. You attempt to run home. This has the benefit of being quicker but you are risking the jarring causing an unstoppable force

3. You don't make it home

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/I_just_shit_my_pants_mid_run_P5580857/

(4.) Read the above and have a laugh. If you run, it will happen to you.

Don't leave the house till you've handed and served an eviction notice.

If and when your running becomes more regular ito same time of day, your body learn and it'll become as part a ritual as putting on your shoes.

I'm a trail runner, never had this problem before. On the mountain there's a toilet under every rock...

Since level 4, however, I've started hitting the tar, and enjoy it! Three I've been caught out with this problem. On two occasions I popped into my brothers' houses and the other I had to shortcut home. It's not fun!

Don't leave the house till you've handed and served an eviction notice.

If and when your running becomes more regular ito same time of day, your body learn and it'll become as part a ritual as putting on your shoes.

This is the real answer. 

I have settled into a routine for my runs. Wake up about an hour ahead of the time I plan to run. Have a cup of coffee and browse the forums, news etc. 45 minutes after my cup of coffee I plonk myself down on the throne, insert my contact lenses and normally I’m out of the door on the hour.

That said I have had to duck into the bushes on a few runs including one memorable time during Winelands marathon where the bush I chose was as popular as an Engine One Stop’s toilets on the N1. I have also lost a glove or two when I didn’t have a piece of white gold on hand as well as one buff.

I had to sacrifice a pair of running socks in the past :-(

You're not a runner until you've had to stop mid run.

I try to before every run

If I get the real urge during a run I will stop and put my glutes to the test and give a good squueze.... Usually does the job.... If that doesn't work... Into the field

In SA you can always pop into a petrol station.... Make sure there's at least one on your route

Wait till the day you have jippo guts during an ultra trail, then you realise the real fun and games to be had.

Buffs can be torn very carefully into strips, spare socks next then move onto arm warmers.

At km 50 standing up out of a deep poop squat is challenging so try find a tree or a rock.

Dab your latest tp replacement in emergency chaffe cream to give you a little relief from excessive wiping. 

Carry a knife just in case you need to remove the built in undies from your shorts.

Lets just say that was a day to forget...

OMG!!

Ok then my issue was luxurious. I gapped into the bushes next to the 12 apostles hotel. A fast running stream and a pair of cheap socks provided all the comforts of home.

Thanks for allowing me to share my trauma without judgement.

They say champions are made on the tough days.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Yeah, always drop off the kids before heading out... even if you feel fine, the running works the gut something special and unless it's a shortish run, you're asking for trouble sooner or later.

I've also witnessed first hand (while running with Mr Winter I recall), Vaal marathon two years back, some poor lady had very clearly had a 'full release' in her tights. She was 'hiding' in a bus... but it could sadly not have been more obvious

I could only feel terrible for her, but yeah, I doubt she will ever make the same mistake again.

Yeah, always drop off the kids before heading out... even if you feel fine, the running works the gut something special and unless it's a shortish run, you're asking for trouble sooner or later.

I've also witnessed first hand (while running with Mr Winter I recall), Vaal marathon two years back, some poor lady had very clearly had a 'full release' in her tights. She was 'hiding' in a bus... but it could sadly not have been more obvious

I could only feel terrible for her, but yeah, I doubt she will ever make the same mistake again.

Have seen similar with some of the elites in big marathons and Comrades. Sometimes stopping is not on their agenda

In 2014 Expedition Africa on the Wild Coast, I contracted Typhoid... on what I assume was day 2 during a 115km Trek leg from Port Edward to Port St Johns.

I spent the next 4 days having to make emergency pit stops during the race all the time. I ran out of wet wipes, I ran out of everything so spent the last 24 hours riding my bike with runny poop all over me.

It wasn't pretty........ But we finished and it is now funny.