ScottCM

Here is an interesting one- seems they will make the call come month end. I am holding thumbs but we will have to wait and see...

Batch starts from a start bubble, no pacers, masks on at various places. Limited spectators. This will be an epic suffer fest of head down and run.

117633510_2594824594161601_7048361626810

117325077_2594824644161596_7084066486786

I might have missed it, will runners be allowed to cross borders to get to the race?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have missed it, will runners be allowed to cross borders to get to the race?

I think theres no ways govt will allow them special permission to have people cross borders. I imagine we must just hope for level whatever-we're-on-now to be reduced countrywide by end Sep. Or... take it in your own hands.

I think theres no ways govt will allow them special permission to have people cross borders. I imagine we must just hope for level whatever-we're-on-now to be reduced countrywide by end Sep. Or... take it in your own hands.

Allot of murmurings that things might be relaxed soon. The R numbers are trending downwards in various regions.

Let's give it a week or two and check what moves they make.

Would really appreciate a relaxation of inter-provincial travel restrictions right about now.

I think a lot of the decision is based on provincial borders opening and lockdown restrictions being eased.

Or that Kiwi dude who races/raced for Swedish armed forces.

I also think that a lot of really good racers have missed out due to the absolute lottery nature of how to enter.

I have had this thought before, very easy to have the toughest race in the world when the elite's can't just enter.

It would be interesting to see 24 hour rogaine world champs results list vs barkley results list

I have had this thought before, very easy to have the toughest race in the world when the elite's can't just enter.

It would be interesting to see 24 hour rogaine world champs results list vs barkley results list

Yeah.... BUT 24 hours doesn't really cut it. I would prefer a rogaine similarly set up like the Berkley with point or time cut offs that wittle down the competition.

It's an amazingly rad, tough, novel race and I would love to do it. I just think that it stays romantically impossible by not having 'the best' race it every year.

Unless they can offer financial incentive to enter many elites won't enter such races. Different story for top amateurs but most elites rely on other big races with more prestige to build their career and attract sponsors.

Unless they can offer financial incentive to enter many elites won't enter such races. Different story for top amateurs but most elites rely on other big races with more prestige to build their career and attract sponsors.

100% agree why the elites won't enter.

But the rogaine guys get almost no purse or recognition for their world championship events. Chances are there are a few in that lot who would be really solid at barkley, the obscure entry means they likely may miss out and this keeps the allure of this impossible race....

I am not a runner myself, but stumbled upon this documentary movie yesterday. Not sure if it was mentioned here before, but definitely worth a watch. Never heard of the Barkley Marathons, but it seems intriguing. "Where dreams go to die":

https://youtu.be/NDZdsqbcGTU

Amazing.

"The elevation is one of the most notable challenges of the race. The total elevation gain (18,288 metres) if you complete all five loops is the equivalent of climbing Mount Everest twice."

Edited by Let's Ride

I had the Xodus, and it tore along the toe protector on both sides before 200km. I thought the tecnical trails I ran (Hout Bay challenge and Table Mountain) killed it, but then 3 of my mates had the same issue on different Saucony trail shoes - one pair was Perigrines.

It is a shame because the Xodus is such an awesome shoe - best grip ever, and a comfy ride.

My Brooks Mazamas does not have the same level of grip, but they are superbly durable. Mazama is a light fast shoe, but based on how well they held, I would go for the Catamounts.

Such a shame.... 

https://www.omni-sport.com/collections/trail-mens/products/peregrine-13

I believe you are correct....

I've been applying to run/walk/crawl that for 7 years.... I kind of stay fit every year just in case!

You actually worked out how to enter?

google bots are telling me to enter the virtual cape town marathon, so i had a looksee

it works on an app, you need to sync it with your smart device and do your own physical course starting anytime from 6-10am on oct 18th. clearly there's an honesty system but i see people doing downwind/downhill courses here

but check this one on tiered entry fees.

SA runner -  R180

African - R220

Int - R300

That is a joke

google bots are telling me to enter the virtual cape town marathon, so i had a looksee

it works on an app, you need to sync it with your smart device and do your own physical course starting anytime from 6-10am on oct 18th. clearly there's an honesty system but i see people doing downwind/downhill courses here

but check this one on tiered entry fees.

SA runner -  R180

African - R220

Int - R300

That is a joke

Don't see much point in paying for a virtual event. The reason I pay an entry fee is to run against others and experience the event atmosphere.

As far as cheating goes it'll no doubt happen. Saw numerous examples with the Comrades virtual event. Some in error no doubt but others just cheating.

Slight deviation off topic but I always laugh when I see the initial pace displayed on people's Strava activities and it seems impressive. But after clicking on view analysis and look at the actual elapsed time and pace and the truth comes out.