ScottCM

Historical weather for 26 September for the last few years for DBN and PMB suggests fairly warm weather. Maybe not by SA standards but definitely warm compared to ideal running (read running a hard effort Marathon) conditions, of about 10-15 degrees Celsius, that take place during most of the worlds big marathons.

For the last 3 years the temperatures were decent around the high teens and some overcast (high humidity towards DBN though). 2013 to 2016 the temperatures were a fair bit warmer in the mid to high 20's. And close to 30 degrees in PMB at 9am in 2015. Again high humidity toward DBN. Close to 30 running into DBN in high humidity towards the end of a long day means a bit of a suffer. So maybe the same running weather as we've had in the past with a warmer start in PMB compared to June?

Some might recall the hot conditions at the Karkloof 100 in 2019 on September 20? Loads of people were treated for dehydration. Temperatures in PMB on that day got up to 40 degrees (21 degrees at 6am and 31 degrees at 9am).

Something like that at Comrades would be disastrous.

The traditional Comrades dates have definitely seen some super hot weather though at times so who knows.

Just thought it might interest some folk. Most probably don't care :)

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Historical weather for 26 September for the last few years for DBN and PMB suggests fairly warm weather. Maybe not by SA standards but definitely warm compared to ideal running (read running a hard effort Marathon) conditions, of about 10-15 degrees Celsius, that take place during most of the worlds big marathons.

For the last 3 years the temperatures were decent around the high teens and some overcast (high humidity towards DBN though). 2013 to 2016 the temperatures were a fair bit warmer in the mid to high 20's. And close to 30 degrees in PMB at 9am in 2015. Again high humidity toward DBN. Close to 30 running into DBN in high humidity towards the end of a long day means a bit of a suffer. So maybe the same running weather as we've had in the past with a warmer start in PMB compared to June?

Some might recall the hot conditions at the Karkloof 100 in 2019 on September 20? Loads of people were treated for dehydration. Temperatures in PMB on that day got up to 40 degrees (21 degrees at 6am and 31 degrees at 9am).

Something like that at Comrades would be disastrous.

The traditional Comrades dates have definitely seen some super hot weather though at times so who knows.

Just thought it might interest some folk. Most probably don't care :)

The other flip side is that September is also renowned for very cold fronts with snow

The other flip side is that September is also renowned for very cold fronts with snow

Which might not be such a bad thing? We all know DBN isn't exactly the coldest place even during a cold front :) Probably not even less than 10 degrees down that way. Then again we're probably too used to the cold European weather :)

Which might not be such a bad thing? We all know DBN isn't exactly the coldest place even during a cold front :) Probably not even less than 10 degrees down that way. Then again we're probably too used to the cold European weather :)

Maritzburugh would be icey though!! I can't remember if it's a down or up run

Maritzburugh would be icey though!! I can't remember if it's a down or up run

Wouldn’t it be a down run next year as well?

Peak training through our winter is going to be fun...     NOT 

TBH I prefer running in the cold as opposed to summer heat

Ran my virtual Boston Marathon yesterday. Never had a plan to go out to break any PB's or anything.. Just planned to take a nice easy sub 8 min mile run and finish the marathon under 3:30. Let me tell you running a marathon on your own without any crowds with a set goal is a lot harder than anticipated. Not feeling in the zone on the day didn't help either. I knew it was going to be a long day when I was feeling uncomfortable at 8 miles in to the run and my heart rate was about 10 bpm higher then it normally would be at that pace. I managed to plod along at my goal pace till about 23 miles, but those last three miles were not fun at all with a few strategic walks. Still managed to finish in my time, and I was glad to have done it. It was definitely a wake up call for the hilly marathon I have in November!

Edited by Stretch

Ran my virtual Boston Marathon yesterday. Never had a plan to go out to break any PB's or anything.. Just planned to take a nice easy sub 8 min mile run and finish the marathon under 3:30. Let me tell you running a marathon on your own without any crowds with a set goal is a lot harder than anticipated. Not feeling in the zone on the day didn't help either. I knew it was going to be a long day when I was feeling uncomfortable at 8 miles in to the run and my heart rate was about 10 bpm higher then it normally would be at that pace. I managed to plod along at my goal pace till about 23 miles, but those last three miles were not fun at all with a few strategic walks. Still managed to finish in my time, and I was glad to have done it. It was definitely a wake up call for the hilly marathon I have in November!

Nicely done!! Different story without the normal race day vibes.

Which marathon have you entered? I'm looking out for a November/December European marathon to enter. I haven't looked into much detail on the options yet but was looking at Malaga in mid December. Looks like it's still on but Valencia which was meant to be a week earlier has been cancelled.

Edited by b-rad

Nicely done!! Different story without the normal race day vibes.

Which marathon have you entered? I'm looking out for a November/December European marathon to enter. I haven't looked into much detail on the options yet but was looking at Malaga in mid December. Looks like it's still on but Valencia which was meant to be a week earlier has been cancelled.

It's just a local marathon restricted to 200 entrants. It's the gap of dunloe marathon. You basically run up and down 3 big hills. Not massive ascent... About 800m... But enough to make it a hard morning out

Anyone familiar with running power? I've been interested in it for quite some time, but the only few ways to get access to numbers are to purchase some hardware like Stryd, the Garmin Running pod that clips to your shorts, or the Garmin HRM-TRI strap. 

I see Wahoo has brought out the next generation of their TICKR and TICKR X models, and from their blurb the TICKR X can now do the whole ground contact etc etc tracking. Will it give me my running power?

Anyone familiar with running power? I've been interested in it for quite some time, but the only few ways to get access to numbers are to purchase some hardware like Stryd, the Garmin Running pod that clips to your shorts, or the Garmin HRM-TRI strap. 

I see Wahoo has brought out the next generation of their TICKR and TICKR X models, and from their blurb the TICKR X can now do the whole ground contact etc etc tracking. Will it give me my running power?

The STRYD might seem pricey up front but I have athletes that have used the same one day in day out for over three years without issue.  When you add in the undisputed accuracy, the additional metrics like form power, Leg spring stiffness and now with the ability to take wind into account it is a steal.  Think about how much you pay for running shoes which you will change every 6 months or so.

There is a reason some of the worlds top Triathletes and Runners are using STRYD.

When you add in the undisputed accuracy

Accuracy of what?  A possible arbitrary measurement?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2413011/running-power-meter-comparison-study 

As I wrote in 2018, the concept of power has no useful intrinsic definition in running, since each stride consists of a mishmash of positive, negative, internal, and external power as your legs and arms swing backwards and forwards, your tendons stretch and recoil, and so on. Instead, what people think of as running power is basically an analogy to cycling power, where the power applied to the pedals has a consistent relationship to how much energy you’re burning and thus how sustainable your effort is. As a result, my conclusion in 2018 was that a running power meter is useful only insofar as it successfully tracks VO2—which, as it happens, was precisely what Stryd was trying to rig its algorithm to do.

Edited by Pieter-za

Accuracy of what?  A possible arbitrary measurement?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2413011/running-power-meter-comparison-study 

Ok if you want to be pedantic call it an accurate measurement of Vo2.  It still gives the best measurement of effort over real time  compared to HR / Pace.  

By the way the the the the quote you used was made by Alex Hutchinson in 2018,  As the link you kindly supplied showed he did a further article in 2020 which concluded.

"But for now, if you’re in the market for a running power device—and if what you really mean by that is a consistently repeatable estimate of oxygen consumption—this data suggests that Stryd is your best bet."

This was based on his reading off a study published in the European Journal of Sport Science which concluded that Stryd was 

" the most repeatable technology for all environment, with the best concurrent validity to Vo2.  STRYD is the most recommended tool.  We encourage practitioners to use this device."

So call the metric what you want, for ease of communication we are saying power, does it allow athletes to better understand their pacing, there efficiency, there form? Anecdotal evidence from the athletes I have personally worked with it yes, because it is accurate, consistent and repeatable.