ScottCM

Lexx good on you for staying active.

Once the doctors gets on top of your treatment, consider seeing a biokeneticist. They REALLY helped me ! Off course, options differ per individual ....

Really hope your new normal allows you some mildly pain free exercise

I will def go and see a Biokeneticist. Thanks for the kind words. Strange how life throws you a curveball when you least expect it.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lexx

I appreciate the response, albeit not exactly the one I was hoping for.

Seems to me that I should follow suit and begrudgingly give up the idea of returning to running. I suffer very similar symptoms, loss of feeling in both legs, bad pins and needles, numbness causing walking to be difficult.

Hi Lexx

Seems to me that I should follow suit and begrudgingly give up the idea of returning to running. I suffer very similar symptoms, loss of feeling in both legs, bad pins and needles, numbness causing walking to be difficult.

I think the only thing I would suggest would be to get a second opinion from a sports specific surgeon/doc, or even better one who is 'sporty' themselves, then at least they can understand your frustrations better than anyone else. 

To be honest though I was secretly hoping no one would reply to your post with anecdotal advise because this sounds like something you should not be playing games with. 

But dammit.. Lexx's reply was heavy, and I thought hit the nail on the head in that its very much a personal decision with yourself initially, and importantly your family, based on the best knowledge you have. 

Its also (I believe) not a one-and-done. Bodies, science and treatments change every day.

Hi Lexx

I'm sorry i couldnt give you any good news or hope. But everything happens for a reason. It might not make sense now, but someday it will.. :thumbup:

Tried some streetlight intervals this morning.

Apart from needing to teach my bird the difference between a surge and a sprint it went well. Totally obliterated myself in 30 minutes and a new max HR value.

* Edit. I'm finally feeling strong again after battling for a month with shingles. Really a kuk thing. It's caused by stress and having a compromised immune system. It feels like you are being burned by a cigarette constantly. Took an anti viral for a week and then had to just hang tough. I applied weed oil topically which helped a lot. The skin sensitivity is still there but the fatigue is gone.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

It got so bad that i strruggle to get out of bed in the morning because of my lower back pain. I Even bought a new bed thinking that the Mattress is old. So my wife actually dragged me to the doctor. Moral of the story, always listen to your wife

Well you still be able to do the amazing walk/scramble/run trail runs that you have around your area? Just making them more of a fast walk than a run

Well you still be able to do the amazing walk/scramble/run trail runs that you have around your area? Just making them more of a fast walk than a run

I can walk, but not fast walk. Otherwise my back and my leg start to hurt again. I went for a walk with my wife yesterday, tried to walk a fast pace just to see how it goes, but as soon as i did, my leg went numb and i could feel it in my lower back.. Felt kinda weird not to jog, but atleast i can still walk and get out.  

Tried some streetlight intervals this morning.

Apart from needing to teach my bird the difference between a surge and a sprint it went well. Totally obliterated myself in 30 minutes and a new max HR value.

* Edit. I'm finally feeling strong again after battling for a month with shingles. Really a kuk thing. It's caused by stress and having a compromised immune system. It feels like you are being burned by a cigarette constantly. Took an anti viral for a week and then had to just hang tough. I applied weed oil topically which helped a lot. The skin sensitivity is still there but the fatigue is gone.

Sympathies

I had shingles once, a few weeks before an IM event.

It was on my chest one side exactly where a HR strap goes. It was damn painful. I got medication from my doctor and it worked well, after a few days the shocks stopped ????

Also had shingles a good couple of years ago, stomach and one arm. It was not fun... And I do recall recovering to full fitness took some time. So good luck man! Keep an eye on that HR - it may be that you're still not ready to run as hard.

Quick question for those with one. I was in need of new HR strap, then saw the Wahoo Ticker X, which has running dynamics. And in my current state, I still cannot run outdoors, but was hoping to get some dreadmill miles in. Any idea how this things connects to Zwift? Since I get it to pair, it displays HR, but does not show the cadence if I run. So my avatar does not move - I cannot even calibrate. 

Also had shingles a good couple of years ago, stomach and one arm. It was not fun... And I do recall recovering to full fitness took some time. So good luck man! Keep an eye on that HR - it may be that you're still not ready to run as hard.

Quick question for those with one. I was in need of new HR strap, then saw the Wahoo Ticker X, which has running dynamics. And in my current state, I still cannot run outdoors, but was hoping to get some dreadmill miles in. Any idea how this things connects to Zwift? Since I get it to pair, it displays HR, but does not show the cadence if I run. So my avatar does not move - I cannot even calibrate. 

Hi SeaBee

As far as know the HR strap records the running dynamics so you can analyse it afterwards in Training Peaks or something similar, but doesn't transmit it.

To run in Zwift/Rouvy you need a footpod. The Zwift one works, but has to be calibrated and gives a general indication at best. The Stryd one is expensive, but brilliant.

I have the tickr2X and it works with zwift.

Are you on iPad?

Sometimes, when it doesn’t pair, I need to open the wahoo app, pair it there and click “start activity” then I close that app and go directly into zwift (which I have open on the username page).

I only have to do this like once in forever. Once I get it paired it’s usually ages before it doesn’t work again.

Attempted a new 10km PB on Tuesday

At 97kg a sub 40min was never going to happen. I am built for rugby not running.

I aimed for a more realistic 42min.

I started too fast as I got swept up with the sub 40min guys and girls.

What was a massive surprise was how low my HR was. I felt great the entire time but did have a massive gorilla jump on my back at 7 km. I managed to get off for the last km.

Amazing how much fun one can have with similar minded friends. Haven't had this much fun running without an actual paid for race.

20b2b9c6be0e53bf98b351215a9a08f5.jpg

Edited by Jaws677

I have the tickr2X and it works with zwift.

Are you on iPad?

Sometimes, when it doesn’t pair, I need to open the wahoo app, pair it there and click “start activity” then I close that app and go directly into zwift (which I have open on the username page).

I only have to do this like once in forever. Once I get it paired it’s usually ages before it doesn’t work again.

Thanks - I used that workaround! Will see if it works without that next time... Mine paired but did not send the cadence. Had to get it going in wahoo, did calibration, started workout, killed wahoo, started zwift... and it sent the cadence when I did the Zwift calibration! 

After all the calibrating my knee was already feeling a bit grumpy, so just did a short run. Now for ToNY 10h! Needless to say, it will be a hard cruise, not a race for me.

Anyone have any experience with the below supplier and treadmill?

https://www.mifitnes...admill-trx4500/

I have tried the cheaper treadmills from the likes and game and makro and not interested in going that route.

Sportsmanwarehouse seems impossible to get the Nordic’s they advertise.

Any other suggestions for the 20-25K budget?

Thanks - I used that workaround! Will see if it works without that next time... Mine paired but did not send the cadence. Had to get it going in wahoo, did calibration, started workout, killed wahoo, started zwift... and it sent the cadence when I did the Zwift calibration! 

After all the calibrating my knee was already feeling a bit grumpy, so just did a short run. Now for ToNY 10h! Needless to say, it will be a hard cruise, not a race for me.

Cool, glad you at least got some of it working. I'm sure if you play around with the Wahoo/Zwift calibration it will all come right for cadence as well.