ScottCM

I don't mind running or walking in the rain.

It was a drizz-ly 4km run this morning.

But all I want to do now is cycle! And I'm not keen on cycling in the rain, purely from the perspective of sand and grim and grit going where it shouldn't.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie Izzard just finished running 32 marathons, in 31 days (back to back on final day...) all on a treadmill(!) and raised 250k pounds. Pretty super effort.

I have been watching this. This was his third or fourth multi marathon fund raising drive. The first one was across South Africa

Edit. The ridiculous thing is that he only raised 250k but that women showing her tatas for raising funds for the Australian wildfires made millions.... Got to wonder about the world

Edited by Stretch

I have been watching this. This was his third or fourth multi marathon fund raising drive. The first one was across South Africa

Edit. The ridiculous thing is that he only raised 250k but that women showing her tatas for raising funds for the Australian wildfires made millions.... Got to wonder about the world

and an old man walking his garden raised even more in lockdown. . . .

By stealing the kids table....  :clap:

How to get your running shoes dry when it's been raining every run for 6 days... f511e360922427e89055f9de40f61537.jpg

How to get your running shoes dry when it's been raining every run for 6 days... f511e360922427e89055f9de40f61537.jpg

Literally the only advantage of Northern Hemisphere winters is good ol radiators. My shoes were drenched on sunday, and monday morning they were dry and toasty

Take a fan like this:

https://www.builders.co.za/Gas-%26-Appliances/Fans/Floor-Fans/Goldair-GHF001-High-Velocity-Floor-Fan---Gunmetal-(460mm)/p/000000000000133048?gclid=CjwKCAiAsOmABhAwEiwAEBR0Zkpfa34W2-a58OlXOjW2jwUcHs6bv1w2al25ZgNsWAXqn3ib2bL-JRoCKmMQAvD_BwE 

Aim it upwards and put your shoes upside down on the grill. If you have 2 pairs of shoes you can alternate so that you have a 48hour drying time and you good to go.

I have a question aimed mostly at the ultra athletes.... So I have always just used a basic watch with nav/route follow function for most 100 milers as the route is usually 'marked' with ribbon or reflective pegs.

I am taking on an unmarked route race later in the year and will need a nav device.

I am loath to use a watch as the race is long. Like at least 3 nights out on course long. Charging the watch with a power bank could prove tricky if still needed to nav.

So far I have looked at the Garmin eTrex variants, the Oregon variants and the gpsmap hand helds.

All seem to take rechargeable packs OR 2x AA batteries.

Is there actually a good option or should I just settle on a cheap Etrex10 and carry a bunch of AA batteries?

I don't want to spend 10k on a Garmin Instinct solar as the race will be run in July and it might rain the entire 4 and a half days!

I have a question aimed mostly at the ultra athletes.... So I have always just used a basic watch with nav/route follow function for most 100 milers as the route is usually 'marked' with ribbon or reflective pegs.

I am taking on an unmarked route race later in the year and will need a nav device.

I am loath to use a watch as the race is long. Like at least 3 nights out on course long. Charging the watch with a power bank could prove tricky if still needed to nav.

So far I have looked at the Garmin eTrex variants, the Oregon variants and the gpsmap hand helds.

All seem to take rechargeable packs OR 2x AA batteries.

Is there actually a good option or should I just settle on a cheap Etrex10 and carry a bunch of AA batteries?

I don't want to spend 10k on a Garmin Instinct solar as the race will be run in July and it might rain the entire 4 and a half days!

Also look at the Coros Apex or pace 2 with ultramax mode https://flatmountainliving.com/collections/getting-lost

and an old man walking his garden raised even more in lockdown. . . .

The captain kicked the bucket yesterday fyi...

The captain kicked the bucket yesterday fyi...

Lived a good life and did a lot especially for the NHS and moral in the UK. RIP

Also look at the Coros Apex or pace 2 with ultramax mode https://flatmountainliving.com/collections/getting-lost

R4500 for the Pace2 is a good deal with 30 to 60 hours of life in various GPS modes.

The 42mm Apex gives you similar battery life (25 to 80 hours) for R2k more...

Those are good options. Many thanks for putting me onto that!

I can also pick up an Oregon 700 for R3500 on special. All offer decent options.

The eTrex10 one can pick up for a grand. I'm honestly just wondering how reliable it is compared to what is much much newer tech.

Like Manuel, I know nothing. I only started making Strava's again on the 26th of November after years in the wilderness. Tech in not a friend of this luddite

Edited by Jewbacca

R4500 for the Pace2 is a good deal with 30 to 60 hours of life in various GPS modes.

The 42mm Apex gives you similar battery life (25 to 80 hours) for R2k more...

Those are good options. Many thanks for putting me onto that!

I can also pick up an Oregon 700 for R3500 on special. All offer decent options.

The eTrex10 one can pick up for a grand. I'm honestly just wondering how reliable it is compared to what is much much newer tech.

Like Manuel, I know nothing. I only started making Strava's again on the 26th of November after years in the wilderness. Tech in not a friend of this luddite

I would buy a dedicated unit - as in not a watch. My fenix 6 in ultratrack is shockingly off on distance, like by 10kms on 50kms run. That'll be very difficult for you to manage a million kms into your run. 

Edit: my very unqualified opinion ...

Edited by Chris_

I find that taking the inners out and stuffing good old newspaper inside the shoes (as much as you can squeeze in) also helps to dry shoes 

Stopping moss growing on them is another Problem, Maybe the muddy isle guys have a tip for this?