ScottCM

I remember the ice baths we had at W2W very vividly. No idea whether it worked. But it made for good banter. My team mate is still shocked at how I long I could remain in there. I think the overheating on the day helped. 

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the conversation was aimed at the three or four thousand rand events. (Because those tables are like small woolies')

If you go kick around at smaller events at big red barn, or irene or hennops  or where ever, those runs aren't any more costly than a road race so water only is acceptably little I think.

Trail races can be organised for a fraction of the cost of a road run. As soon as one needs to use public roads the costs are astronomical.

I agree with Stretch. Trail running is fun. However when it comes to organised trail events it seems to become a bit of a show off thing for those participating.

I agree with Stretch. Trail running is fun. However when it comes to organised trail events it seems to become a bit of a show off thing for those participating.

Like the Epic .... :devil:

Like the Epic .... :devil:

Like all MTB events became not long after MTB started growing quickly.

The Epic a good example????

Edited by b-rad

It has all become a leg lifting contest...  :ph34r:

Sorry, this may get long... I sent a WhatsApp to a friend earlier today by sheer coincidence. And the gist of it was. I got gatvol of the racing mentality in cycling a good many years ago. And during the end of that time "found" running - by sheer coincidence, it's a funny story.

So a while later I went without cycling for years. I became a runner. But in that time, running (road and trail) became the same. And I got gatvol. And I learnt that cycling (and running!) can be... fun while improving yourself. 

At this stage... I don't care what your last Oceans time was or whether you ran SkyRun or UTCT or Comrades or 5 African-X's or whatever. That's your story. (Maybe I'm blunted by my training partners, but such is life.) And I know there is a couple of VERY talented runners here. I am not dissing you. 

I have ridden the last couple of Argus/CTCT's on my mtb with friends. The last one went a bit south ito staying together, but that's also okay. (Sorry Mads!) 

Yes, maybe age does play a factor. Do I still train? You bet! I have freakin' scary stats... Why? It keeps me sane. It keeps me focussed outside work and all the other sheet. I will always have some goal. I will always chase something. It may be an insignificant virtual event, it may be a big IRL event, it may just be recovering from a bloody small fall that stuffed up my cruciate ligaments.  :whistling:

So, a step back. I have "raced" and all. And when I got home, all my wife wants to hear is one thing - after she sees I'm okay! - "Did you enjoy it?". She asked me that 20 years ago when I was chasing stuff, even when I was playing squash before "that" injury and I started cycling. She'll ask me that after my next race. I've now learnt what it means. 

So after all of that essay... enjoy what you do! Young guns, go flat-out and chase your dreams! Old(er) dogs, go flat-out and chase your dreams. Enjoy it. Enjoy the chase, embrace the building up to the event, training and all.

And for the young guns and gunnites... marry a girl/guy who understand all of this! You can NOT do any  endurance sport without an understanding partner. 

Die oom het klaar gepreek vir die aand. (For the foreigners: The speach - even if it was not as good as Cyril lifting the alcohol ban! - is over....) :clap: 

Tom Pidcock the British cyclocross chap, ran a 13:25 5k!

Still big question marks on the validity of the GPS data on that run.

He has vowed to follow it up with a confirmation run.

Still big question marks on the validity of the GPS data on that run.

He has vowed to follow it up with a confirmation run.

He should have just joined Joshua and the lads in Monaco today

And world record (either equalling or best, I've read the rounding might do her) 14:44 from Chepkoech

just in case its not clear - my comments were based around the importance of clubs during normal times (non-covid) - and why it is important to still support them during this year where there are not going to be any or many races.

Its no secret I am not a big fan of organised trail running. Not trail running - I have nothing against that, just the organised events. I find them a little bit elitist because of the entry price barrier. The entry price is high because professional event organisers are running them  - and they need to make a living off running these events so the price will of course be higher. Perhaps the clubs missed out on a opportunity here, or they were all just too focused on the events they currently had. The event organisers saw a gap in the market and grabbed it

This^ and Saffa organisers sadly. I mean it is cheaper to fly to morocco and race atlas mountain race than it is to do munga or freedom challenge. You can literally fly there 2 years in a row and race twice and still have 5k change from a freedom entry. Back in 2017 there was a ±R2500 difference between flying to reunion to run grand raid 100 miler and driving to UTD and running 100 miler. So to a certain extent yes they are making a living, to a certain extent no they are tearing the ring a little.

We are also accepting it sadly. I mean there is an adventure race and a trail run. Day 1 of said AR is the first 5/6 of the trail run, same route you just stop the run 10km short. The AR which has a over 100km mtb and an epic paddle after the run with food and camping included. All of that for less than running an extra 10km on the run leg as a trail race. The AR community just won't pay more and the organisers understand that and I think the event is still held for the love of it. It is a special Adventure race. But the trail runners just want the name to drop in conversation. Much the same way a lot of road runners ask if you have done comrades...

This^ and Saffa organisers sadly. I mean it is cheaper to fly to morocco and race atlas mountain race than it is to do munga or freedom challenge. You can literally fly there 2 years in a row and race twice and still have 5k change from a freedom entry. Back in 2017 there was a ±R2500 difference between flying to reunion to run grand raid 100 miler and driving to UTD and running 100 miler. So to a certain extent yes they are making a living, to a certain extent no they are tearing the ring a little.

We are also accepting it sadly. I mean there is an adventure race and a trail run. Day 1 of said AR is the first 5/6 of the trail run, same route you just stop the run 10km short. The AR which has a over 100km mtb and an epic paddle after the run with food and camping included. All of that for less than running an extra 10km on the run leg as a trail race. The AR community just won't pay more and the organisers understand that and I think the event is still held for the love of it. It is a special Adventure race. But the trail runners just want the name to drop in conversation. Much the same way a lot of road runners ask if you have done comrades...

I remember a few years ago my mom was adamant she wanted to run Otter. We hadn't entered so went into the monthly draw for unclaimed/cancelled entries.

We were selected and it came time to pay.... 2 entries plus admin fees came in at nearly 12k.

So with the trip, you are looking at 8k per person.

That is ludicrous. The portion of my EA entry is not  much more.

After swearing off races I just won an entry to the MacMac... Any distance. Can one hypothetically run 2 x 200 miler races within a 2 month period?

**Googles freedom challenge entry fees

My F*k Marelize!

If you take 26 days to do the Freedom Challenge then it's solid value... 

That Otter Trail run entry is insane, but it sells out. So we're clearly happy enough to accept it.

Physio bills aside, Comrades a bargain  :thumbup: 

I guess it's a free market, it will change and settle - worry not