ScottCM

Nike will be a Discovery Vitality reward partner next month... so you will be able to get a discount ;)

Vitality members can now save up to 25% upfront on a range of sports gear and equipment through our new benefit, from April 2021. Plus, up to 75% on qualifying fitness devices and Nike performance apparel and footwear.

Be warned to carry on reading the T&C's before splashing the cash.

It will help, but it won't be applicable to the full price:

"The discount applies to the first R4 000 of the retail price of a fitness device, R2 000 of the retail price of a pair of Nike shoes, or R1 000 for Nike performance apparel."

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be warned to carry on reading the T&C's before splashing the cash.

It will help, but it won't be applicable to the full price:

"The discount applies to the first R4 000 of the retail price of a fitness device, R2 000 of the retail price of a pair of Nike shoes, or R1 000 for Nike performance apparel."

Has always been R2k when comes to shoes, when you got them at Sportsmans.  So is not new T&C's

QUESTION -

Been looking at the park-runs (walking) on many of the farms that form part of the Tygerberg trails.

Any pointers on where and how to join this ?  Costs involved ?

I see some are clearly branded for Vitality.  Not a Vitality member, so not worried about rewards points.

EDIT - if there are other threads, more related to this, a link would be appreciated.

Edited by ChrisF

QUESTION -

Been looking at the park-runs (walking) on many of the farms that form part of the Tygerberg trails.

Any pointers on where and how to join this ? Costs involved ?

I see some are clearly branded for Vitality. Not a Vitality member, so not worried about rewards points.

EDIT - if there are other threads, more related to this, a link would be appreciated.

I've never done one so don't take this as gospel.

I thought the premise was that they were always free. You register online with the parkrun site, and then sign up/sign on (?) at the run. That's where your records are kept and you can even get stuff like '100 runs' t-shirts and whatnot.

I'm surprised that the runs are on now though. Surely covid should have put a halt on them?

I've never done one so don't take this as gospel.

I thought the premise was that they were always free. You register online with the parkrun site, and then sign up/sign on (?) at the run. That's where your records are kept and you can even get stuff like '100 runs' t-shirts and whatnot.

I'm surprised that the runs are on now though. Surely covid should have put a halt on them?

There certainly was a lot of walkers and runners at Bloemendal on the previous weekend.

Seemed like a staggered start though, certainly never saw a single large group.

Edited by ChrisF

QUESTION -

Any pointers on where and how to join this ?  Costs involved ?

I see some are clearly branded for Vitality.  Not a Vitality member, so not worried about rewards points.

It is free. Register on the parkrun website. Print out your membership barcode, most get it laminated, you can print out more if you need in the future.

Take your barcode with you and check in on the Saturday morning, speak to those who are doing the registration and they will tell you everything you need to know before the run.

Parkrun in South Africa is still not happening. Most of the Parkruns in SA have over 250 participants so that's an issue with restarting.

You must have seen something else taking place?

what's mi?

I've had to convert to miles here.. Despite us being a metric countr, for some reason runners still keep to miles.

What you possibly saw was MyRun (like park run, just on Sunday's) which has recently started up again. Parkrun has yet to start due the amount of people that generally attend.

Parkrun is completely free

MyRun I heard you pay a once off R60 (for a timing chip, not sure if this optional for a snazzy one or what the story is) and then free thereafter. 

EDIT: Both are partners of Vitality, hence the marketing/branding.

Edited by JuddMan

I've developed this morbid fascination with the Nike Alphafly Ekiden edition shoes. The yellowish ones with the Mt Fuji topography drawn into the black swoosh.

Capture.PNG

They are the top shoe company and can afford the best desiners and athletes. They have several shoes that look very tasty!

Interestingly, some reviewers prefer the Next% to the Alphafly.

(Next% 2 is launching now.)

Happy birthday Andrew Steer.... You know the rules...a kilometer run for each year old. It's not even a marathon.. No excuses!

Haha... thanks Stretch. How many months do I have to complete this 40?

They are the top shoe company and can afford the best desiners and athletes. They have several shoes that look very tasty!

Interestingly, some reviewers prefer the Next% to the Alphafly.

(Next% 2 is launching now.)

Oof... the $$$ to km ratio versus the min/km reduction is just bonkers!

Oh I miss the simpler days when racing flats were just that - minimalist, cheap and fast. But, if I had that $$$ you'd definitely see me walking to the closest Bootleggers in pair of these. #CapeTownThings

But I do wonder, when do you consider a shoe to be mechanically advantaged? And how far will Nike etc. be able to push the IAAF's limits to that extent? Or do we foresee a Two Oceans marathon for normal shoes and e-shoes categories? 

At least we are still talking about 2 levels of shoe. The cyclists now allow bikes with motors to race. (Which is like giving a medal to a guy completing Comrades on a Segway of you ask me)

Edited by Christie

I don't know if any of you are in the Linden area but on Tuesday mornings at 6:15am I organise a 5km TT from Yield Coffee Shop. We've got a good bunch of people there but next Tuesday we're holding a kind of mini-race to help a bunch of us gun for our PBs. It'd be really great if some of you speedsters nearby would be open to pacing some of us, or even just flat boxing it yourselves to set the mood? Ferret, any chance you'd be willing to go slow motion for a few km and drag me to a PB?

Edited by Barry Stuart

Parkrun in South Africa is still not happening. Most of the Parkruns in SA have over 250 participants so that's an issue with restarting.

You must have seen something else taking place?

Vitality badged and flagged start point.  Staff at the starting point were all clad in "Vitality" clothing.  Certainly appeared to be some sort of "organised" event.

Long drawn out string of people.  NOT the "bunch" one would associate with a typical park run.

They were following the normal run route along Bloemendal