ScottCM

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has the Trabuco 8's and she also loves them, apart from - getting rubbed badly on her achilles by the typically-Asics massive padding back there. I wonder if thats now been fixed in the 9 if you didn't notice it, or if its just her.

My Fujitrabuco Lyte also chafes on my Achilles. The heel box is pretty rigid, it chafes me just below the padding. It's better since I've added a heel lock to the lacing, but I can't run in it with thin socks.

Heard last week that we will have Gauteng North Cross - Duathlon champs possibly in June. 

At least someting to train for

My Fujitrabuco Lyte also chafes on my Achilles. The heel box is pretty rigid, it chafes me just below the padding. It's better since I've added a heel lock to the lacing, but I can't run in it with thin socks.

I don't have any rubbing with the 9's. Really nice with falke all terrain socks. My first pair of real trail shoes instead of my Maxed shoes. The cushioning, grip, rock plate and toe protection are amazing. My only problem so far is having to tighten the laces up really tight. My left shoe was pulled off my foot trying to do intervals on a section of technical trail at Klipriviersberg - all of a sudden I was running barefoot ????! And then the next interval I twisted my right ankle ????. Oh, and the uppers are starting to look worn already with only about

80km done in them so far.

I tried on the fujitrabuco lyte last week too when I bought the 9 - the 9 definitely felt more comfortable to me in the shop and the tread on the 9 looks much grippier I think.

Edited by ridr

I don't have any rubbing with the 9's. Really nice with falke all terrain socks. My first pair of real trail shoes instead of my Maxed shoes. The cushioning, grip, rock plate and toe protection are amazing. My only problem so far is having to tighten the laces up really tight. My left shoe was pulled off my foot trying to do intervals on a section of technical trail at Klipriviersberg - all of a sudden I was running barefoot ! And then the next interval I twisted my right ankle . Oh, and the uppers are starting to look worn already with only about

80km done in them so far.

I tried on the fujitrabuco lyte last week too when I bought the 9 - the 9 definitely felt more comfortable to me in the shop and the tread on the 9 looks much grippier I think.

A weekend of solid abuse in the Berg on your feet will age any shoe!

My uppers still look new. I am actually surprised how well they have held up.

Also no heel cup issues, so maybe they fixed what they did on the 7s and 8s..

I'm still really enjoying mine. The sole is next level and the gel/midsole foam is so responsive. Still stoked

Overthinking everything! Packed, unpacked, repacked all the kit. Many a spreadsheet with every possible variation of time split and cut-off needed - which of course I won't stick to for a minute on the day... Hip flexor suddenly hurting, right calf too! hahaha

Getting a late start down tomorrow, will stay over in HiIton. Then across to the berg Thurs.

Weather looking chilly and a maybe little wet on Fri, but really good on Sat. Can't wait.

47:05:16   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  congrats bud massive achievement that. 

47:05:16   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  congrats bud massive achievement that. 

Thanks man! I've typed up a big beast of thing, it was quite cathartic to write it, so apologies for being so long.

I'll put it on the trail thread to clog that one up rather.

hahahaha I got the silva trail runner free..... Purely for the burn time! hahaha I will see how it holds up next week on my tour round the mountain.

How did this go? 

I easily burned through 2 rounds of 3xAAA batteries first night, medium setting. The second night I changed 3 times just because.. The light is really good when its good, but when it gets over that initial phase, eish

The Explore is a magnificently comfortable thing. Your one will probably be even better.

Which headlamp?

I got a Silva one the other day. I'd never heard of the brand, but looks legit - light, waterproof, comfy. They lie flat-out about the brightness burn time but I'm looking forward to giving it a proper test.

Which Silva do you have and how did it cope at UTD?

Ha! I will do that after the weekend.

Have you tested your Silva Trail Runner Free yet?

Which Silva do you have and how did it cope at UTD?

Explore 3. It was the most I was willing to spend on online shopping without actually knowing the brand and without seeing the thing in front of me. It was 'only' a thousand bucks but thats inline with most decent headlights.

Its a lot better than my ancient old Petzl. Much more comfortable and the light beam is brighter and directs a lot better.

I had quite a few batteries in my drop bags so I wasn't too worried about changing them. Time goes by weirdly through the night, it felt like they died quickly but in reality it was probably normal.

Edit: my night vision is really poor. I've never had it tested or anything but I'm fairly certain its just worse than average. Thats also why I'm interested to hear how Jewbacca went.

I often come close to just dropping big cash on one of those Black Diamond beasts with the car battery on the back that can light up the whole world.

Edited by Chris_

OK....

Headlmp review! (sort of)

SILVA Trail Runner Free

So far, I am super impressed. I have done 30 odd hours of proper night running with it so far in all modes but mostly low setting while moving on foot. Still 'green' when I turn the torch off, so it has plenty more  battery life left. 

The headband is super comfortable with zero bounce or wobble. The integrated cable makes it really easy to stow and adjust without getting it in a tangle.

The big side button and swivel make it easy to set and turn on/off even with gloves on. No fiddling, but I am yet to use it while sleep deprived. I will tell you about that part after the 24th of May.

I am slightly worried about clumsy gorilla hands and it's durability. But time will tell. I'm considering taking to it with some epoxy and 4oz cloth around the join. It looks like it might not be up for as much abuse as my old BD Icon.

I have a couple of things about battery life which people don't take into consideration;

Temperature. I believe it got really cold at UTD, which drains the batteries really quickly. This torch has a specially built extension chord so I can put the battery pack in a pocket up against my skin to keep it warm and prolong battery life. If the battery pack is exposed to the cold they will flat quickly.

Type of battery. I use the lithium batteries. They last a long long time.

I use my torch on minimum setting mostly. It only goes on medium if I'm in the boat at night trying to Nav or if I'm looking for a path or a point. On a GPS nav race I don't have to worry about that so I just try to eak out battery life without falling. A lot of people run med/high and the burn time on that will seldom last a night.

Full review after MacMac200 in 3 weeks time......

Sounds like some good running has happened and is coming up! Thanks for the light review, Jewbacca.

Took a run barefoot on the weekend. On gravel farm roads, sticking to the areas softened by the rain.

It was my first run in a long time and I loved it.

The feet, however, did not. Any tips for treating blood blisters under one’s toes? They’re like, R2 coin size under each big toe ????????‍♀️