ScottCM

1 minute ago, Chris_ said:

And when they wore down you whacked some Takkie Patch on the bottom. (I think that was what that see-through glue stuff was called?) 

Not forgetting the rubber outsole was also a cm thick. Little wonder it lasted so long. 

I still have a few tubes from our last visit to sportsman’s warehouse.... my wife wears her running shoe heels down very quickly and I just build them up again ????

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

And when they wore down you whacked some Takkie Patch on the bottom. (I think that was what that see-through glue stuff was called?) 

Not forgetting the rubber outsole was also a cm thick. Little wonder it lasted so long. 

Wow, just had a mental flash-back of my Tennis shoes in the late 90s.. think I tried to revive a pair with that stuff.

Can't remember if it was any good though. Went through Tennis shoes like nobody's business on our asphalt surfaces.

2 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Wow, just had a mental flash-back of my Tennis shoes in the late 90s.. think I tried to revive a pair with that stuff.

Can't remember if it was any good though. Went through Tennis shoes like nobody's business on our asphalt surfaces.

Hahaha that's awesome. I did the exact same with tennis shoes. 

I think that's what forced my old man, ever the engineer, to find a solution! 

I've been running in the Mr P shoes for over 5 years now. I reckon they have to be as fast as the Adidas shoes I was running in 20 years ago. Ran a 2:41 marathon in a pair of Maxed and sub-17:30 5km TT's. I don't think it's the shoes holding me back, although I am also pretty sure that my times would be quicker in the next%. Doubt I'd be much quicker in another brand's 'normal' shoes.

I buy a few pairs at a time. Not much info on the shoes and I often buy the ones labeled 'gym' shoes too not just the 'running' ones. I know what works for me. I eyeball the drop and stack height and check flexibility of the sole. And try them on for comfort. I've even bought a few pairs at a time online and then just return the ones I don't like when they arrive. I think there are 2 or 3 pairs that didn't work for me for running, but I am still able to use them for casual wear. A few pairs are quite soft in the forefoot, which makes them not great over longer distances. And for proper trail running and longer trails, I've now learnt you can't beat a proper trail shoe (after doing a few 40 - 60km mountain runs in my Maxed trail and road running shoes). For road running and shorter easy trails there's nothing wrong with my Mr P shoes. I have got to over 1000km in a few pairs, but I don't feel that I have to get crazy mileage out of them because some of my older pairs only cost R300 or less. I like being able to rotate between different pairs with different uppers and lowers every day of the week if I want to.

I got the new Zeus carbon plate shoe about 2 weeks ago and did a marathon in the Cradle with them basically out of the box. First half was great, but my legs fell apart in the harder second half and ended a few seconds over 3 hours after aiming for about a 2:50. I don't think any brand of shoes would have saved me! I am really impressed with the feel and comfort of the upper and laces of the Zeus. I think they're possibly the most comfortable shoes I've ever run in. The carbon plate thing had me confused when I looked under the shoe and saw the metal weave, but if you look under the inner sole you can see a small carbon plate there. I don't know if it makes any difference in these shoes.

I initially wasn't going to buy the Zeus because of the increased price tag now on the newer Maxed shoes - I first went to try on shoes from every other brand, because I thought at that price I could just by a big brand shoe for not much more - but after trying on a whole lot of shoes and then trying on the Zeus it was the most comfortable and still half to 2/3 cheaper than everything else I tried on. I also ended up with a pair of the Elite Nation all white (running) 'gym' shoes ???? and really like the feel of the new Marathon Racer so far.

Edited by ridr

11 hours ago, ridr said:

I've been running in the Mr P shoes for over 5 years now. I reckon they have to be as fast as the Adidas shoes I was running in 20 years ago. Ran a 2:41 marathon in a pair of Maxed and sub-17:30 5km TT's. I don't think it's the shoes holding me back, although I am also pretty sure that my times would be quicker in the next%. Doubt I'd be much quicker in another brand's 'normal' shoes.

I buy a few pairs at a time. Not much info on the shoes and I often buy the ones labeled 'gym' shoes too not just the 'running' ones. I know what works for me. I eyeball the drop and stack height and check flexibility of the sole. And try them on for comfort. I've even bought a few pairs at a time online and then just return the ones I don't like when they arrive. I think there are 2 or 3 pairs that didn't work for me for running, but I am still able to use them for casual wear. A few pairs are quite soft in the forefoot, which makes them not great over longer distances. And for proper trail running and longer trails, I've now learnt you can't beat a proper trail shoe (after doing a few 40 - 60km mountain runs in my Maxed trail and road running shoes). For road running and shorter easy trails there's nothing wrong with my Mr P shoes. I have got to over 1000km in a few pairs, but I don't feel that I have to get crazy mileage out of them because some of my older pairs only cost R300 or less. I like being able to rotate between different pairs with different uppers and lowers every day of the week if I want to.

I got the new Zeus carbon plate shoe about 2 weeks ago and did a marathon in the Cradle with them basically out of the box. First half was great, but my legs fell apart in the harder second half and ended a few seconds over 3 hours after aiming for about a 2:50. I don't think any brand of shoes would have saved me! I am really impressed with the feel and comfort of the upper and laces of the Zeus. I think they're possibly the most comfortable shoes I've ever run in. The carbon plate thing had me confused when I looked under the shoe and saw the metal weave, but if you look under the inner sole you can see a small carbon plate there. I don't know if it makes any difference in these shoes.

I initially wasn't going to buy the Zeus because of the increased price tag now on the newer Maxed shoes - I first went to try on shoes from every other brand, because I thought at that price I could just by a big brand shoe for not much more - but after trying on a whole lot of shoes and then trying on the Zeus it was the most comfortable and still half to 2/3 cheaper than everything else I tried on. I also ended up with a pair of the Elite Nation all white (running) 'gym' shoes ???? and really like the feel of the new Marathon Racer so far.

I absolutely loved reading this post last night. Its never about the shoe...but all about the effort you put in

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0523/1223434-ultra-runner-meath/

An ultra-runner from Co Meath is recovering after breaking several distance records during his latest fundraising event.

Navan man Keith Russell pushed the limits of human endurance in winning the 'Last One Standing' race in Florida Manor, Co Down, earlier this month.

Keith Russell with his Last One Standing Award

Keith ran 425.5km during an event that started on a Saturday and ended on a Tuesday.

He explained: "It's 6.7km laps every hour. You can run it as slow or as fast as you want, as long as you’re back at the start line every hour to go again. I ended up doing 63 laps. The race has no finish line. It just carries on until one person is left."

52 minutes ago, Stretch said:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0523/1223434-ultra-runner-meath/

An ultra-runner from Co Meath is recovering after breaking several distance records during his latest fundraising event.

Navan man Keith Russell pushed the limits of human endurance in winning the 'Last One Standing' race in Florida Manor, Co Down, earlier this month.

Keith Russell with his Last One Standing Award

Keith ran 425.5km during an event that started on a Saturday and ended on a Tuesday.

He explained: "It's 6.7km laps every hour. You can run it as slow or as fast as you want, as long as you’re back at the start line every hour to go again. I ended up doing 63 laps. The race has no finish line. It just carries on until one person is left."

pffft.... only 99km further than our run last week!

I know Saucony has been winning fans with the endorphin range. The new updated line even has a trail shoe, and quite an interesting looking beast too. 

Screenshot_20210526_185820_com.android.chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, Chris_ said:

I know Saucony has been winning fans with the endorphin range. The new updated line even has a trail shoe, and quite an interesting looking beast too. 

Screenshot_20210526_185820_com.android.chrome.jpg

I recently switched from my Nike Zoom Fly 3's to the Saucony Endorphin and if this trail shoe is anywhere near as good as its road cousin, it will be very good.

One day, when I am a PROPER runner, I will upgrade to MR P Maxed shoes. In New Zealand, those will be "exotic".

On 4/30/2021 at 8:03 PM, Jewbacca said:

Full review after MacMac200 in 3 weeks time......

Come now, you don't need your legs to write the review ????

32 minutes ago, ScottC-M said:

Agreed.

Is that a review on the headtorch or the race?

33 minutes ago, ScottC-M said:

20 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Is that a review on the headtorch or the race?

Your Silva head torch