ScottCM

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

I am a sweater, but I do like to run with a cap, which seems to pull most of the sweat from my head away from the eye/glasses area. My thinking is to go for a more "open" look, where the frame and lens is nowhere near my skin on the perimeter and only touches my nose. That should reduce the likelihood of a drop bouncing onto the lens.

I tried an "enclosed" set once, it fogged up within a second ;) So I know what will NOT work for me luckily.

Thanks, I'll look into Julbo, and the "dork string" as protection of the glasses. 

I think we have similar criteria. 

I have a pair of Ocean Polarised sunglasses that look similar to Oakley Frogskins that I use for everything from weddings, driving, MTB and running. Definitely more on the  fashionable side, but they work lekker and were cheap, so it's all hunkydory.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a pair of 30 South Original RX last year. Pretty cheap, which is nice, given you'll inevitably break/lose them soon enough

https://30south.co/product/originals-rx

They've also got more "performance" focused models too, if that's your vibe

https://30south.co/product-category/sunglasses/performance-wear

Nice to support a local company when possible, so I'll probably keep buying from them.

11 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I got a pair of 30 South Original RX last year. Pretty cheap, which is nice, given you'll inevitably break/lose them soon enough

https://30south.co/product/originals-rx

They've also got more "performance" focused models too, if that's your vibe

https://30south.co/product-category/sunglasses/performance-wear

Nice to support a local company when possible, so I'll probably keep buying from them.

Sold! Exactly what I was looking for. ????

"Hi #####,

Just to let you know — we've received your order ######, and it is now being processed:"

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

Sold! Exactly what I was looking for. ????

"Hi #####,

Just to let you know — we've received your order ######, and it is now being processed:"

Hehe, nice, glad it helped.

Keep an eye out as well, they tend to have specials every now and then, and they're at that price point where you feel "why not another pair?" ????

5 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Keep an eye out as well, they tend to have specials every now and then, and they're at that price point where you feel "why not another pair?" ????

Interesting...

????

On 8/26/2021 at 9:48 AM, b-rad said:

I find this news rather interesting. Potentially great news for SA and Cape Town but am interested to know the requirements and hoops to jump through to get it right. And particularly the costs involved as I’m sure they will be rather substantial, given the scale of the World Marathon majors group. It is after all a business, like the UTMB business model, so I’m sure large sums of money will need to be handed over and spent to get anywhere close to real consideration. Having done a few of the majors, as well as a few big city marathons (including Cape Town a few years ago), I get the feeling it can potentially be done but at what cost?? 

cape town marathon in general is a bit weird. Two oceans is a flippen unique race, not many ultras that established and organised, what do they call it...."the world's most beautiful marathon". There have probably been about 6/7 versions of a "cape town" marathon, for me the peninsula from town to simonstown is easily the best route, with obvious logisitical nightmares preventing it get really huge.  BUT this flavour of a 42km run seems to have got proper traction. if they could get it listed along with those other elite races, it would take it up a HUGE notch. it would be massive for cape town beyond just runners, and I see no reason to spare any expense getting there. 

On 8/25/2021 at 9:18 PM, Jewbacca said:

That would be absolutely amazing!

I'm glad the route doesn't go through Paarden Eiland anymore! That was a little depressing to be honest.....

had a quick squizz at the route. was it designed by Meurant? takes you right past the finish at the ~36km mark for a loop down sea point promenade. that is harsh! 

image.png.13ee6940347eace1b90c23096505f963.png

On 8/31/2021 at 2:33 PM, MongooseMan said:

Delivered this morning. Pretty happy with the quality and they fit nice too. Will take them for a spin over the weekend.

2021-09-03 10_14_36-Window.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 9:57 AM, Stretch said:

Cheptegai is definitely a once in a lifetime athlete. Come the Olympics, outside of having a bad day, he'll make no farah look like a high school track wannabee

As for Bekele.. And that article... To understand what Cheptegai has just done this year.. Let this sink in from that article

Quick Take: Thank you, Kenenisa Bekele

Kenenisa Bekele no longer holds any major outdoor world records (he still holds the indoor 5000 at 12:49.60 and indoor 2000 at 4:49.99) but his reign atop the outdoor 5,000 and 10,000 world record board was DEFINITELY the longest in history. He held both records for more than 16 years each. He was the simultaneous record holder of both the 5,000 and 10,000 for 5,911 days or 16 years, 2 months and 6 days.

What an absolute legend!

Apologies for picking up the "stompies" form an old post .... :) .

Legend indeed, in my eyes still the GOAT of distance running.

I waited in anticipation for the Olympics marathon just to be "cheated" by Ethiopian athletics not to include KB in their team for the marathon.  BTW the 3rd time they made the same mistake, once with Haile Gebrselassie and the second time now with KB, idiots !!!

I'm going to stick my neck out big time.  I will not be surprised if KB run the marathon world record on Sunday in the Berlin marathon.  I read he said he is injury free and in peak condition, that only mean one thing to me, bye bye 2:01:39 !!!

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, b-rad said:

Comrades Marathon 2022 likely to be on Sunday 28 August.

Sjo, It's going to be a hot one... Hopefully races will start opening up again in the new year  (Just a lot better to go run a race than going out for a 25km training slog on your own)

14 minutes ago, Craai said:

Sjo, It's going to be a hot one... Hopefully races will start opening up again in the new year  (Just a lot better to go run a race than going out for a 25km training slog on your own)

hahaha I'm the total opposite.

I find running races one of my least favourite things. To get up how ever many hours earlier than usual, drive to the start, run, then head home vs walking out my garage, running and returning straight home.

I also really don't like the smell of fart, deep heat and anxiety that overflows from start chutes. 

I reckon once I get my blue number at Oceans I'm done with the road and will only get up for events that look really awesome like Tusker or an equivalent adventure.

I've always hoped they would open up the Boland90 trail from Grabouw to Jonkers then on to Franschoek as a race. It's a beautiful route but safety is a concern when you're out there alone with imited cell signal.

4 hours ago, b-rad said:

Comrades Marathon 2022 likely to be on Sunday 28 August.

Shoo that is gonna be warm for my first Comrades!

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I've always hoped they would open up the Boland90 trail from Grabouw to Jonkers then on to Franschoek as a race. It's a beautiful route but safety is a concern when you're out there alone with imited cell signal.

Oh yes please! 

I'll sign up for that. I live at the foot of the Hottentots Holland mountains and drive over the passes on a nearly daily basis. 

I drove  up the back of Franschoek pass today, and spent way too much time dreaming about running the last bit into Franschhoek  

Edited by PhilipV

16 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Oh yes please! 

I'll sign up for that. I live at the foot of the Hottentots Holland mountains and drive over the passes on a nearly daily basis. 

I drove  up the back of Franschoek pass today, and spent way too much time dreaming about running the last bit into Franschhoek  

You are welcome to come and do the whole route with me one weekend. Depending on how many peaks we hit it works out between 70 and 90 km

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

You are welcome to come and do the whole route with me one weekend. Depending on how many peaks we hit it works out between 70 and 90 km

Something to work up to. I reckon making a project out of it and doing it solely for self fulfillment is the way to go. Doesn't need to be an event. 

Up first is the Maxirace 45km on Saturday. Might have to chew some cement though.

Edited by PhilipV

Free to a worthy home: '42 Peaks : The Story of the Bob Graham Round'. Book. History of this great English Lake District challenge. One of the world's ultimate solo running undertakings.

You must  collect, I live in Atholl, Sandton. Russ