ScottCM

8 hours ago, GrantMcD1 said:

Question for all you Joburg based runners. 

Next year I’m moving to Joburg from Cape Town and I’m looking to join a running club which does group runs during the week and has a nice social aspect as I’ve come to enjoy with my Cape Town club.

So what club would you guys recommend - I will be staying in Johannesburg South but working in Sandton so I suppose I’m flexible on location.

I have already contacted Alberton Athletic club already but they don’t seem to do club runs - only time trials during the week. 

Hey bud, 

I live in Alberton and run for Lewensentrum (named after an afrikaan church in the area but most don't attend this specific church). WE have daily runs during the week and then back to back long runs on wkns. Fridays is coffee run and if its someone's birthday then they supply cupcakes. At races we go in convoy and take coolerboxes with beers for "recovery" while waiting for the rest to finish. We have all sorts of runner from our lady who won the Sani Stagger 38km Trail on the week to the grandfather who has failed to qualify for comrades the last 3 time he has tried. Our chairman was the comrades 10hour & 11hour bus driver for over a decade too. Easter time we have an Easter 100 which the Alberton Athletics club runners join. drop me a PM if this is of interest to you. 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks,

Any tips and things to look out for for affordable walking poles for getting into long distance walking and running?

Surface will likely be tar and hard-packed stuff. No rocks for now.

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Gripen_85 said:

Hi Folks,

Any tips and things to look out for for affordable walking poles for getting into long distance walking and running?

Surface will likely be tar and hard-packed stuff. No rocks for now.

Thanks!

Hands down your best option are the carbon/Alu Z-poles from NatureHike.

Half the price of the Black Diamond and other brand name poles for exactly the same thing.

My 2 poles have done 5x Wold series AR expeditions, numerous shorter multi day races, multiple hundred milers, a 200 miler, lots of 100km run/treks and despite looking a little worn, are still in tip top shape.

One of the best 'budget' pieces of kit I have ever used

On 11/23/2021 at 6:49 PM, Jewbacca said:

Hands down your best option are the carbon/Alu Z-poles from NatureHike.

Half the price of the Black Diamond and other brand name poles for exactly the same thing.

My 2 poles have done 5x Wold series AR expeditions, numerous shorter multi day races, multiple hundred milers, a 200 miler, lots of 100km run/treks and despite looking a little worn, are still in tip top shape.

One of the best 'budget' pieces of kit I have ever used

Awesome, thank you ????????

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pieter-za said:

Om Die Dam planned for 11 June 2022

Anyone have any idea what the rest of the running calendar looks like next year? With Comrades planned for August and Two Oceans talking about April I'd like to know how qualification will work. At the moment it seems like if you ran Cape Town Marathon you'll be fine, and if you missed it you're screwed

4 minutes ago, travisza said:

Anyone have any idea what the rest of the running calendar looks like next year? With Comrades planned for August and Two Oceans talking about April I'd like to know how qualification will work. At the moment it seems like if you ran Cape Town Marathon you'll be fine, and if you missed it you're screwed

I can only find up until early March 2022 https://www.roadrunning.co.za/calendar.  You could do Joburg City North Marathon on 13 Feb 2022 or Vaal marathon on 05 March 2022

19 minutes ago, shaper said:

I can only find up until early March 2022 https://www.roadrunning.co.za/calendar.  You could do Joburg City North Marathon on 13 Feb 2022 or Vaal marathon on 05 March 2022

Thanks. I was actually hoping for an early Jan race if possible. Looks like JHB City North is my best bet

Bit of a rainy day yesterday in Auckland. I love it when it rains. Always such a good time to hit the trails in the local forests. The forests are quiet and beautiful. The smells are simply incredible. You can hear all sorts of birds and creatures. I ran for 3 hours and saw one human in the last 500metres of my run as I was approaching the car park.

Absolutely glorious.

266854923_10161330478324186_8464591763185711205_n.jpg

267121685_10161330478314186_4368624392687078777_n.jpg

267129304_10161330478309186_7998756444372724795_n.jpg

267258101_10161330478319186_8074507554168489727_n.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

15 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

wanna do the 13peaks but seems too scary?

well now you can pay someone to hold your hand

May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and text that says "Want to do a 13 Peaks? CARRICK ADVENTURES MNH 13 PEAKS CONSULTANT Learn from the experienced WhatsApp Ernest Carrick at 060 831 0395 Ernest Carrick will consult with you on the best way to prepare, plan and execute a successful 13 Peaks Challenge whether it's a Multi-Day or 48 Hour attempt. Please note this is not guided activity. purely consulting and sharing valuable information earned during his completed Triple 13 Peaks Challenge"

No man.... Now I definitely want to do it 4 times in 4 days just to spite him! hahaha