ScottCM

Re size when  buying on-line: search for a few reviewa on youtube etc, a good reviewer will sy if the shoe is true to size or not.

I buy from poobie, and also Newbalance because I get 30% discount from Multiply (or used to, have not checked if still so in 2022)

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so report back time on my ordering process through poopie naidoo.

I ordered Gel Kayano 28's and my bird ordered Gel Numbus 23's. I got a different colorway to what I ordered but I don't really look at my feet when I'm running so it's all good.

Tomorrow we'll test them out.

Not sure if this was discussed before on the thread. But is there anyone here that suffered from long term effects after having Covid? 

I was asymptomatic positive about 5 months ago, and since then I cant get back into regular training. Went from 60km weeks to being out of breath after 2km. I definitely lost some fitness for not running for about 4 weeks, but getting back to fitness was never this hard.

Every now and then I can do higher mileage runs, but at much higher perceived effort.

2 hours ago, Mudsimus said:

Not sure if this was discussed before on the thread. But is there anyone here that suffered from long term effects after having Covid? 

I was asymptomatic positive about 5 months ago, and since then I cant get back into regular training. Went from 60km weeks to being out of breath after 2km. I definitely lost some fitness for not running for about 4 weeks, but getting back to fitness was never this hard.

Every now and then I can do higher mileage runs, but at much higher perceived effort.

Have a look at this thread

good luck and take care

On 1/14/2022 at 2:57 PM, Duane_Bosch said:

Ok so report back time on my ordering process through poopie naidoo.

I ordered Gel Kayano 28's and my bird ordered Gel Numbus 23's. I got a different colorway to what I ordered but I don't really look at my feet when I'm running so it's all good.

Tomorrow we'll test them out.

Interested to hear how you find the kayano 28, I’m running with them at the moment 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:45 AM, SwissVan said:

Interested to hear how you find the kayano 28, I’m running with them at the moment 

Eeerm. I hardly qualify as a real runner so I'd be reluctant to give a review on them. They feel hotter than the GT2000's I was using but they do feel less harsh.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Eeerm. I hardly qualify as a real runner so I'd be reluctant to give a review on them. They feel hotter than the GT2000's I was using but that do feel less harsh.

LIES! I've passed you while on the bike running up and down Chappies enough times in the last few months to call you a 'real' runner!

6 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Eeerm. I hardly qualify as a real runner so I'd be reluctant to give a review on them. They feel hotter than the GT2000's I was using but they do feel less harsh.

Thats ok, I'm not "real" runner either

26 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Thats ok, I'm not "real" runner either

Haha. No I'm serious. You okes have all done stuff. My longest ever run is 15km. That's it. I run 15-20k a week. Anyways. You asked for it.

I bought Asics GT2000 8's on the advice of someone on this thread. Purely because I seemed to be rolling my ankle every other run and the wisdom on this forum was that I needed a support shoe.

The GT2000's were great and have now transitioned to my dog walking, summer driving to a surf shoe.

As for the Kayano's. Compared to the GT2000's they feel a little warmer and the colorway is about as exiting as a Cyril speech. They do feel great tho and there's definitely a different feel to them compared to my old shoes. They feel way less harsh but that hasn't translated to faster times on chappies. If I get mugged on my run tomorrow morning I can't think of a compelling reason to replace them with anything else.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 2 weeks later...

At last I'm able to run again without any pain or discomfort after I broke my ankle in March 2021.

Taking it slow for now, 1k walk, 1k run for 10km last night.  Not taking any risks, will build the distance slowly but surely at 6 - 6:30 per km.  The speed can come later.

Just enjoying to be able to run again !!!!

A quick question. Can’t seem to find using search function so maybe some IP here.

how accurate is the distance predictor on Garmin watches? Fenix 6. 

21 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

A quick question. Can’t seem to find using search function so maybe some IP here.

how accurate is the distance predictor on Garmin watches? Fenix 6. 

Personally I've always found it to be very optimistic. My 5 and 10km PBs are slower than the Garmin predicted times and after both of those efforts I was completely done. Basically lay down and curled up in the fetal position and tried not to vomit so I could not have gone much faster yet I was still 2 - 3 minutes slower than the predicted times.

8 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

Personally I've always found it to be very optimistic. My 5 and 10km PBs are slower than the Garmin predicted times and after both of those efforts I was completely done. Basically lay down and curled up in the fetal position and tried not to vomit so I could not have gone much faster yet I was still 2 - 3 minutes slower than the predicted times.

Agree. 

I see those numbers as "Service ceiling". Theoretically I might be able to get there, but that would be my absolute limit. 

Of the distances I have completed, my PB's are out by:

5k: 1min20s

10k: 4min

21k: 14mins

If I didn't have kids and could train to my maximum effect and my diet was on-point, sure, those numbers might have been possible. But right now, they keep my mind at ease that there is no need to think about numbers any lower than those reported, for any distance. Ain't gonna happen.

5, 10km and 21.1kmspot on, marathon off by a long margin.

Same as Vetplant with work and family responsibilities, with perfect training, does not seems feasible.

There are many runners that do a sub 3hour marathon, personally it will be a lifelong dream that I will take with me to my next life.