ScottCM

40 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

The old school shoes used to be perfectly fine for comrades athletes back in the days. They’ll be fine for your commute walkies as well. Not much difference between casual shoes now and running shoes then. Don't over think it. If they are comfy, rock them. 

I used to work as a footwear planner in a mainstream retail store. We could get any shoes we wanted at absurd prices. Yet my favorite pair of shoes was the Onitsuka Tigers that I used to buy from the Jordan Factory shops. I'd walk the sole through and then go buy a new pair as my office shoes. 

I'm still a bit of a tekkie nut, the only difference is that I always buy from factory shops or markdown tables now 

I must have gone through 20 pairs of those. Yellow Bruce Lee ones, Green white and gold ones, Red ones, various brown ones, the grey/white ones with the blue and red criss crosses.......... I lived in them for maybe 10 years

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

The old school shoes used to be perfectly fine for comrades athletes back in the days. They’ll be fine for your commute walkies as well. Not much difference between casual shoes now and running shoes then. Don't over think it. If they are comfy, rock them. 

I used to work as a footwear planner in a mainstream retail store. We could get any shoes we wanted at absurd prices. Yet my favorite pair of shoes was the Onitsuka Tigers that I used to buy from the Jordan Factory shops. I'd walk the sole through and then go buy a new pair as my office shoes. 

I'm still a bit of a tekkie nut, the only difference is that I always buy from factory shops or markdown tables now 

Totally right! I'm completely overthinking it, and the fact that any shoes I pick will barely every experience more than a brisk stride means I could easily get away with some Northstars from Bata.

As for the Onitsuka's, +1 on that for sure! These are my go-to casual shoe and they're more comfy than my "sports shoes" (Adidas Terrex Agravic). I could wear them all-day every day.

Ultimate 81 Ex - White/Black - Onitsuka Tiger | SOLECT NZ

Maybe I should just get a second identical pair and rotate to distribute mileage and avoid disappointment in the future when I cant'y find them as they're discontinued. (I did this a couple of times with certain model FiveTen riding shoes I loved).

Then get some cheap and cheerful trail runners for the occasional trail walk.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:16 PM, Blokeonabike said:

Hi all, so over the weekend both of my Salomon soft flasks lids popped, I spoke to Salomon but turns out the lids aren't covered by the warranty. The lids are also not available separately so I have to buy 2 new flasks. Not ideal.

Does anybody know of any other brands of flasks that has lids/caps that are compatible with the salomon flasks?

5EEA7999-D1A7-4E59-A6DC-9EF1C9E9F824.jpeg

531FCBDF-D691-4E51-9C61-A0718F1DF9FE.jpeg

Not sure about compatibility. But what about trying a different brand entirely?

I have the HydraPak flasks which seem decent so far.

On 3/9/2022 at 7:51 AM, ScottCM said:

Does anyone have updates on the Barkley's Marathons?

Courtney dropped out after loop 2. That's the second DNF for her there. Just puts the difficulty of the race into perspective. 

3 hours ago, b-rad said:

Not sure about compatibility. But what about trying a different brand entirely?

I have the HydraPak flasks which seem decent so far.

Hydrapak supplies Salomon with flasks but the Salomon speed flask has a different "skroef draad" to open/close it quicker. 

I did, hoewever, give up on the search already. Just going to buy 2 new flasks this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

A fairly prolific (male) poster on this thread was spotted on chappies this morning riding what looked suspiciously like a Liv Langma in a very nice purple.

I was pre sunrise and I do have ballie vision and I was bleeding through my eyeballs so I could be wrong but I kinda sorta think I'm not........

29 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

A fairly prolific (male) poster on this thread was spotted on chappies this morning riding what looked suspiciously like a Liv Langma in a very nice purple.

I was pre sunrise and I do have ballie vision and I was bleeding through my eyeballs so I could be wrong but I kinda sorta think I'm not........

hahahahahaha I love my lady bike!

You were looking strong!

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahahahaha I love my lady bike!

You were looking strong!

Hey! No judgements from me. It's a TCR with a different colorway.

I absolutely love this time of year the lovely crisp mornings before the sun comes up are just so special. You really feel like you are getting the jump on everyone else.

So serious question time.

It's getting to the time of year where we need to start running with lights. We use a light called a Giant Recon HL 500. It's a 500 lumen light that we use for cycling and running. What makes the lights great for us is that they are tiny and they make use of gopro mounts. The mounts for the bikes are so small they literally live on our bikes permanently. Which leads me to my question.

My wife runs with a chesty. She's quite slight and the mount and light sort of move around a bit. Last year I would zip tie my light to an old hydration pack but it's time to get a bit more serious now. I'm thinking of taking the chesty for myself and getting her a shoulder mount.

Anyone on here run with gopro chesty's or shoulder gizimo's?

Edited by Duane_Bosch