ScottCM

54 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

So serious question time.

It's getting to the time of year where we need to start running with lights. We use a light called a Giant Recon HL 500. It's a 500 lumen light that we use for cycling and running. What makes the lights great for us is that they are tiny and they make use of gopro mounts. The mounts for the bikes are so small they literally live on our bikes permanently. Which leads me to my question.

My wife runs with a chesty. She's quite slight and the mount and light sort of move around a bit. Last year I would zip tie my light to an old hydration pack but it's time to get a bit more serious now. I'm thinking of taking the chesty for myself and getting her a shoulder mount.

Anyone on here run with gopro chesty's or shoulder gizimo's?

I like to run with a light around my waist. I have a little waist band that sits on my hips.

The lower the light, the less 'white out' I find I get. I also use it on expedition races and 100/200 milers out in the middle of nowhere as the orientation means I can see in 3D as opposed to just white light trail.

For the road it is hands down the best. 

I use a very fancy head torch attached to a specific waist band (Black diamond Icon700) but you get waist band specific torches that are really good.

https://ultraspire.com/products/lumen-600-3-0-waist-light/

you can buy these at www.thesavage.biz

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, TheoG said:

I don't see a stability (pronation) version, so not going to work for me ... :( 

Ja their website says they developed only a neutral shoe, but reading between the lines there could be stability options in the future

"Neutral: The vast majority of South African runners purchase a Neutral running shoe, it made sense for us to start to build a product on a neutral platform"

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I like to run with a light around my waist. I have a little waist band that sits on my hips.

The lower the light, the less 'white out' I find I get. I also use it on expedition races and 100/200 milers out in the middle of nowhere as the orientation means I can see in 3D as opposed to just white light trail.

I use a very fancy head torch attached to a specific waist band (Black diamond Icon700) but you get waist band specific torches that are really good.

Thanks.

I had a long chat about lights with one of the more experienced guys in our trail jogging group because I need to get a better, more reliable (ie not Led Lenser) light. 

His take away with headlamps  was that chasing lumens is pointless after a certain point as all the contrast  gets washed away with too much light too high up. And I've found the same with night riding, smaller light on the helmet coupled with stronger light on the bar. 

I think before I buy another headlamp, I'm going to jury rig what I have to see if I can do something with one of my running belts. 

Edited by PhilipV

22 hours ago, DJuice said:

Also interested.

Was offered a pair to test by a Friend, sadly not in my size.

I saw they’ve handed out quite a few pairs at some running clubs. Would be interested to hear the reviews so far

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Thanks.

I had a long chat about lights with one of the more experienced guys in our trail jogging group because I need to get a better, more reliable (ie not Led Lenser) light. 

His take away with headlamps  was that chasing lumens is pointless after a certain point as all the contrast  gets washed away with too much light too high up. And I've found the same with night riding, smaller light on the helmet coupled with stronger light on the bar. 

I think before I buy another headlamp, I'm going to jury rig what I have to see if I can do something with one of my running belts. 

I have no idea of the product offerings at Decathlon in SA (vs Europe). Headlamps wise I couldn’t say but they might have options for lighting to be visible to motorists etc.

While we are on the topic. What head-torches do you guys recommend for my uses:

• Doesn't have to be the brightest. Only need it for morning/evening runs on the road for visibility and to see any potholes etc. in front of me.
  • With that, the battery also doesn't have to be big enough to last hours on end. I would like to get 2 or 3 runs out of 1 charge (so about 3 or 4 hours for me is adequate, as I can charge in-between runs) 
  • I am a bit price sensitive. I do recognize quality, and know that cheapies will probably break quite easily, but in saying that, I am not leading an expedition into the middle of nowhere . Something that is good quality but not costing a small investment. 

TIA

On 4/12/2022 at 1:44 PM, Jewbacca said:

What is the waistband you use?

7 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Thanks.

I've found that having high grade elastic to 'clinch' the belt is better than a full webbing band. You can make it super snug and stretch the last bit.

You have my number, drop me a message if you get stuck

Just now, scuzzy said:

What is the waistband you use?

I have a special Black Diamond waist band that has the right size webbing to catch the BD torch. 

The battery pack also straps onto the belt

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I've found that having high grade elastic to 'clinch' the belt is better than a full webbing band. You can make it super snug and stretch the last bit.

You have my number, drop me a message if you get stuck

Idle hands and all that.

I've made a belt with some webbing and the elastic from an ExtremeLights headband using oumas Elna. The stitching looks a dog's breakfast, but it'll hold.

If it works like I hope I'll probably clip my petzl or something more powerful in there, but I've found the led lenser to be sufficient as long as those around you are not using supernova strength lights. 

04CD4B43-2F34-4798-A4CD-4BB888ABBE96.jpeg

F0BA304D-164E-45D5-8CC8-4A645421F32A.jpeg

Edited by PhilipV

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

Idle hands and all that.

I've made a belt with some webbing and the elastic from an ExtremeLights headband using oumas Elna. The stitching looks a dog's breakfast, but it'll hold.

If it works like I hope I'll probably clip my petzl or something more powerful in there, but I've found the led lenser to be sufficient as long as those around you are not using supernova strength lights. 

04CD4B43-2F34-4798-A4CD-4BB888ABBE96.jpeg

F0BA304D-164E-45D5-8CC8-4A645421F32A.jpeg

Nice!

That looks prefect

3 hours ago, JuddMan said:

While we are on the topic. What head-torches do you guys recommend for my uses:

• Doesn't have to be the brightest. Only need it for morning/evening runs on the road for visibility and to see any potholes etc. in front of me.
  • With that, the battery also doesn't have to be big enough to last hours on end. I would like to get 2 or 3 runs out of 1 charge (so about 3 or 4 hours for me is adequate, as I can charge in-between runs) 
  • I am a bit price sensitive. I do recognize quality, and know that cheapies will probably break quite easily, but in saying that, I am not leading an expedition into the middle of nowhere . Something that is good quality but not costing a small investment. 

TIA

Two questions,

1. Would you prefer a light that is rechargeable or one that you can put batteries in?

2. What's your budget?

Good price, but requires batteries, if you have rechargeable batteries then I would get this for basic road running:

https://www.takealot.com/petzl-headlamp-tikkina-black-250lm/PLID69348016?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99nYvMuR9wIV4YBQBh2BEgKLEAQYASABEgLgHfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then, if you want a good light with a built in battery, then your budget will need to stretch a little (In order of preference):

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/nitecore-nu32-headlamp-650-lumen 

https://www.takealot.com/black-diamond-spot-lite-200-headlamp/PLID71832754

The brands I know of that are popular that you should keep an eye out on are Black Diamond, Petzl, Nitecore and Led Lenser. 

1 hour ago, ScottCM said:

Congrats to @IceCreamMan on your marathon PB on Sunday 💪

Cheers. Am a little surprised by my running form the last while. While I ain’t fast by any stretch of the imagination my improvements have been noteworthy. Human body is an incredible thing.