ScottCM

Right, so it's time to start pushing myself out of my stupid comfort zone.

Registered for a 53 km Ultra Trail run in February 2022. It's in the Redwoods forest of Rotorua.

Found a good running coach and am working on a programme to increase distance/speed in a (hopefully) smart way to minimise injury.

Most of the running will be done on roads in preparation with maybe one trail run a week.

Last week (week 2) of my programme was my biggest week ever. 48 km of distance in one week including a 4 km running track (grass) session done barefoot to strengthen the feet. I must admit, running barefoot on soft squishy grass was awesome. I also carried out yesterdays barefoot session as an active recovery after a 21.1km road run in the morning. Today my legs feel good. Normally after a 21km, I feel tight and uncomfortable for 2-3 days.

I am pretty nervous about the 53km run, but I reckon if i take my time and build up properly over the next 11 months, it should be doable.

The distance isnt the problem . It's how fast you want to run that distance that is the problem[emoji3526]

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-118127-0-54148500-1614593704_thumb.jpg

A bit of useless information.

This is my last six pairs of shoes that went into retirement and the km's they did.

Note: The nike's with high mileage did treadmill work during hard lockdown. I'm also a bit heavier than the average runner. (Well actually much heavier.)

attachicon.gifSHOES.JPG

This is my last six pairs of shoes that went into retirement and the km's they did.

Note: The nike's with high mileage did treadmill work during hard lockdown. I'm also a bit heavier than the average runner. (Well actually much heavier.)

Wow I'm glad I'm a lighter runner. If I had to print mine out they would all show more than 1,200kms

attachicon.gifSHOES.JPG

Wow, that is interesting.  If I may ask, roughly what is your weight?  What is the reason for retirement? Grip, cushioning, precaution?

Wow, that is interesting.  If I may ask, roughly what is your weight?  What is the reason for retirement? Grip, cushioning, precaution?

I'm 100kg. The Asics had a guideline through the middle of forefoot, the tread would wear first next to the guideline and I would have no cushioning in the middle of my forefoot. When metatarsalgia strikes I would change them. (always a bit too late) lateral heel wears too.

On the Nikes I have lateral wear on the heel due to heel strike and supination. Tread wears even. I change them when the tread and cushioning is gone.

attachicon.gifSHOES.JPG

Gosh. Glad mine last a bit later. Wouldn't want to get a new pair every month and a half

I'm a very light runner. When I get to 1000mi I retire the shoes. Now that I've switched to brookes I'm interested to see what I get. I'm about to buy a new pair of ravanna's for my rotation

685b7f51d7e0b1fdf6ebff20d2d62ada.jpg

Normally when my left knee starts bugging me I change my shoes. By then they have about 1200-1400km on them. Guess weighing 65kg has it’s perks [emoji51]

I see CT Marathon putting out some flyers on Facebook, saying the real race is going ahead (not virtual) and full refund should it be cancelled.  16 - 17 October 2021 

https://capetownmarathon.com/

156249245_3099893303446765_9262528089247

Edited by shaper

I've developed this morbid fascination with the Nike Alphafly Ekiden edition shoes. The yellowish ones with the Mt Fuji topography drawn into the black swoosh.

I'm sure I've seen the prices before, but my word I get chills every time I come across them. R5600 is a boatload of money for running shoes.

Edit: pic

post-90313-0-66874000-1615277160_thumb.png

Edited by Chris_

Right, so it's time to start pushing myself out of my stupid comfort zone.

Registered for a 53 km Ultra Trail run in February 2022. It's in the Redwoods forest of Rotorua. 

Found a good running coach and am working on a programme to increase distance/speed in a (hopefully) smart way to minimise injury.

Most of the running will be done on roads in preparation with maybe one trail run a week. 

Last week (week 2) of my programme was my biggest week ever. 48 km of distance in one week including a 4 km running track (grass) session done barefoot to strengthen the feet. I must admit, running barefoot on soft squishy grass was awesome. I also carried out yesterdays barefoot session as an active recovery after a 21.1km road run in the morning. Today my legs feel good. Normally after a 21km, I feel tight and uncomfortable for 2-3 days.

I am pretty nervous about the 53km run, but I reckon if i take my time and build up properly over the next 11 months, it should be doable.

some current inspiration

I'm a very light runner. When I get to 1000mi I retire the shoes. Now that I've switched to brookes I'm interested to see what I get. I'm about to buy a new pair of ravanna's for my rotation

685b7f51d7e0b1fdf6ebff20d2d62ada.jpg

what's mi?

I've developed this morbid fascination with the Nike Alphafly Ekiden edition shoes. The yellowish ones with the Mt Fuji topography drawn into the black swoosh.

I'm sure I've seen the prices before, but my word I get chills every time I come across them. R5600 is a boatload of money for running shoes.

Nike will be a Discovery Vitality reward partner next month... so you will be able to get a discount ;)

Vitality members can now save up to 25% upfront on a range of sports gear and equipment through our new benefit, from April 2021. Plus, up to 75% on qualifying fitness devices and Nike performance apparel and footwear.

https://www.discovery.co.za/vitality/active-gear-your-evolution-in-fitness?sap-outbound-id=9E27998BECE46B64355DEF232C718D823BAFD40E&utm_source=SAPHybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4254&utm_term=VITA_NL_Feb_No_Bank_Sales_08032021_LM___Vitality%20Active%20Gear&utm_content=EN

Edited by shaper