ScottCM

I see Garmin says it should be above the wrist bone.  Closest to the hand I presume? 

We run in the dark 90% of the time, so light should not be a factor should it? 

I checked the cadence, does not seem to be a factor, thanks. 

I've had better results closest to the elbow - well still closer to the wrist than the elbow - but closer to the elbow than I would usually wear a watch.

Even running in the dark - the sensor is picking up really small changes under your skin... So anything that causes changes that the sensor can pick up can effect the reading. Thats why cycling - specially MTB - HR readings can be bad - lots of small vibrations.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen any spikes, just some lower than normal (while running) and abnormal high (while walking) readings.

Tightening the strap seem to resolve these quickly

Isolated instances above, most of the time it’s sharp....

I've had the opposite happen to me. Both wearing the watch too tight and having a rubber bracelet ahead of the watch to wick sweat has constricted bloodflow giving inaccurate readings, but seriously inaccurate, like 123 hr when it is really 170.

I see Garmin says it should be above the wrist bone.  Closest to the hand I presume? 

We run in the dark 90% of the time, so light should not be a factor should it? 

I checked the cadence, does not seem to be a factor, thanks.

Here’s a polar support process on how to wear it with a picture of the wrist bone.

And some other useful info

https://support.polar.com/en/support/the_what_and_how_of_polars_wrist_based_heart_rate_measurement

“Wear the Polar device on top of your wrist, at least a finger’s width up from the wrist bone (see the picture below).

Tighten the wristband firmly around your wrist. The sensor on the back must be in constant touch with your skin and the Polar device should not be able to move on your arm. Movement between the wrist unit and your skin can interfere with the readings”

https://support.polar.com/e_manuals/images/wearing-ohr-device.png

Hi guys,

I've been struggling on and off with shin splints since December and I just haven't build up the volume I need to do these races, so I'm letting the entries go.

2 Oceans Ultra Marathon entry up for grabs:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/351411-2-oceans-ultra-marathon-entry/

Comrades Marathon entry up for grabs:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/351413-comrades-marathon-entry/

Wish I could take your Comrades Entry. I have serious FOMO...

Shin splints are a bugger, although this is the first time I've had them.

Saw the sports doctor / chiropractor again on Monday, and he reckons I could possibly have a stress fracture on my left shin bone, which means, according to him, I'll be out of action for two months. Going to see him again next Monday for a follow up, and hopefully he will have better news for me.

Saw the sports doctor / chiropractor again on Monday, and he reckons I could possibly have a stress fracture on my left shin bone, which means, according to him, I'll be out of action for two months. Going to see him again next Monday for a follow up, and hopefully he will have better news for me.

I got a stress fracture from running with shin splints. Its very difficult to diagnose a stress fracture without the proper scans. If you run your finger down your shin and you pass over the fracture you will know, trust me.

2 months sounds optimistic, but with proper rest and recovery rehab its possible. Just don't run on it, like I did.

I got a stress fracture from running with shin splints. Its very difficult to diagnose a stress fracture without the proper scans. If you run your finger down your shin and you pass over the fracture you will know, trust me.

2 months sounds optimistic, but with proper rest and recovery rehab its possible. Just don't run on it, like I did.

Well that's what I think happened with me. I noticed there was slight pain in both shins, and I went for training runs anyway. If I do have a stress fracture, then I'll possibly look for a nearby swimming pool to try get some extra fitness in.

Here’s a polar support process on how to wear it with a picture of the wrist bone.

And some other useful info

I switched our watches and ran with the FR35 myself last night and hopefully the issue was just the tightness of the strap.  It seemed fine, but I will check it for a few more runs

Best of luck bud. I got shin splints and ran. I ended up with fractures in my left tibia in July. After wearing a moonboot for 10 weeks and 12 hyperbaric chamber sessions I have now for the first time been able to run 6 times in 12 consecutive days. With my longest run since July being 7km. Its soul crushing and demoralizing to the point where you avoid all things running related. For your sake i truly hope your doc's prognosis of 8weeks materializes for you. 

Best of luck bud. I got shin splints and ran. I ended up with fractures in my left tibia in July. After wearing a moonboot for 10 weeks and 12 hyperbaric chamber sessions I have now for the first time been able to run 6 times in 12 consecutive days. With my longest run since July being 7km. Its soul crushing and demoralizing to the point where you avoid all things running related. For your sake i truly hope your doc's prognosis of 8weeks materializes for you. 

Thanks.

The thing is, I'm enjoying road running, so I hope I don't have to sell my Nike's. The funny thing is though, I haven't picked up one injury from trail running. It's just frustrating driving around and seeing other okes running and I can't even go for a little jog just yet.

On a side note runners- It's X Berg in 2 weeks, the most affordable 100 miler(well more than 100miles) but ya 160 odd km accross the berg, no marked route you can choose and make your own, navigate with gps, incredible scenery and of ya half the price of certain other 100 mile runs

On a side note runners- It's X Berg in 2 weeks, the most affordable 100 miler(well more than 100miles) but ya 160 odd km accross the berg, no marked route you can choose and make your own, navigate with gps, incredible scenery and of ya half the price of certain other 100 mile runs

I don't want a 100 mile race entry for free. ????

I bought a Bemer blanket on an auction last week...best investment to date. I can recommend a couple of Bemer sessions WeekendW for those shin splints. You must have a Bemer therapist there in horsey area?

I don't want a 100 mile race entry for free.

Yet. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It's like comrades, just nearly two of them in a row, on trail, non stop and with no crowds cheering you? What more could you want?