MTO Trails - Jonkershoek (an update on Jonkershoek)

BobbyBehan

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to all involved. Shout when we need to pull through to lend a hand. Have spade, will dig. 

+1

We are most definitely going to organise community build days. These are so much fun. For now we want to get the ball rolling. Will probably arrange this in October. Thank you  :thumbup:

No, thank YOU, Bobby, and all the rest of you guys. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow trails riders, runners and other users,

Herein a response from Lawrence (below), The CEO of MTO, providing more detail on the company MTO and the locations of their plantations, involvement in Jonkershoek etc.

A quick update on Jonkershoek. Bennet Nel is busy building the 'red line' from 'The Neverending Story' trail head. We hope that Hylton Turvey, the very reputable Karkloof trail builder will arrive in mid September to work alongside Bennet. Next they'll tackle the 'black line' from the same trail head.

Thanks for your support!

Lawrence's Message:

There have been some questions about who is who and it seems there is a bit of confusion about MTO and Cape Pine! Bottom line is this, they are one in the same, MTO has always been the registered entity and it traded as Cape Pine in the Cape. But the group has expand significantly and has operations all over South Africa so it was necessary to reposition MTO as the recognised corporate ID. Cape Pine remains an important brand within the group and represents the lumber we produce in the Cape (our plantations run from Jonkershoek to Longmore just outside Jeffery's Bay (MTO | Cape)). The other plantations (MTO | Lowveld) are in the Lowveld (Whiteriver, Tzaneen, Barberton, Piet Retief etc). The opportunities are endless!!

It’s probably also necessary to clear up the confusion about who is responsible for the eco-tourism or trail management at Tokai and Cecilia. It’s not us, while we manage the forests (which comes to and end in 2016), SanParks are responsible for the eco-tourism which includes the trails and the management / control thereof. We obviously work closely with SanParks regarding our harvesting programme and our scheduled handover of areas to them.

It is really exciting to be unlocking the potential of Jonkershoek as a world class trail destination, thank you to all that have driven this initiative, Bennet’s building some amazing trails and I look forward to seeing you guys flying by! A huge thanks to Bobby and Specialized for the massive efforts and contributions, you’ve kick started an exciting project.

I've watched so many videos on youtube of the Jonkershoek trails on countless times, those trails look world class. I haven't yet been to any of the surrounding trails around Stellenbosch, but now that I have my bike I'll be visiting these a lot. I hear Gspot is also quite impressive, does one need to pay at Gspot as well?

I've watched so many videos on youtube of the Jonkershoek trails on countless times, those trails look world class. I haven't yet been to any of the surrounding trails around Stellenbosch, but now that I have my bike I'll be visiting these a lot. I hear Gspot is also quite impressive, does one need to pay at Gspot as well?

The GSpot is free. The newly built XCO track is also freely accessible and marked.

edit: grammar'ed

Edited by Koei

The GSpot is free. The newly built XCO track is also freely accessible and marked.

edit: grammar'ed

I almost "paid" on GSpot last night. Ran out of talent trying to show off.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the new Red for the Firehut Trailhead is open judging by video clips doing the rounds.

Videos? Link please?

Just some short clips of the builders hitting a section with a rad drop.  Was on Facebook, so can't link at work.

Also saw photo's on INstagram of folks riding up lower Canaries through the pines again, so maybe those are open for business.

If that's all open there is already a lot of riding to be done again.  Up the Canaries, two long descents at Firehut and then the flat valleyfloor trails which are still good fun.

Hmmm...I reckon a ride is in order on the next windless day.