MTO Trails - Jonkershoek (an update on Jonkershoek)

BobbyBehan

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, Thanks. Gate open at 8am? I'm keen to go tomorrow but don't want to get in the middle of any protesters. 

I think gate opens at 7am (may be wrong)

• 1 month later...

I see they posted trails closed until further notice.

anyone know if its just protesting again?

Logging perhaps?

Edit: saw Ctp’s post now.

Edited by stefmeister

There were protests this evening. Still ongoing. A stun grenade or two came echoing up the valley.

Rather avoid the road into Jonkershoek if you were planning an early morning ride on Wednesday.

Rumours of damage to forestry contractor's equipment in the reserve. Lot of tension between local community and MTO.

There is a big group ride being organized for Saturday morning 13 October in protest of this sad state of affairs. Details to follow. Please join us. This is not right.

You could find yourself not on your fiets - just saying.

It's not always about what is right or fair but about what IS.

Edited by porqui

There is a big group ride being organized for Saturday morning 13 October in protest of this sad state of affairs. Details to follow. Please join us. This is not right.

what is this group protesting? that they can't ride their bikes or siding with the actual moral issue at the heart of the original protests?

what is this group protesting? that they can't ride their bikes or siding with the actual moral issue at the heart of the original protests?

It sounds to me like they are planning to ride in protest of the protest.

I can only see this ending badly. A bunch of privileged white men, In Stellenbosch no less, demanding their right to play on their bikes while people are protesting for a piece of land to build their homes. I wonder who's going to have the moral high ground?

Rightly or wrongly that's how it's going to be perceived.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

It sounds to me like they are planning to ride in protest of the protest.

I can only see this ending badly. A bunch of privileged white men, In Stellenbosch no less, demanding their right to play on their bikes while people are protesting for a piece of land to build their homes. I wonder who's going to have the moral high ground?

Rightly or wrongly that's how it's going to be perceived.

exactly my concern.

I find this behavior beyond disgusting.

Everyone feels that they are entitled to everything and will destroy everything in their path to get it.

I am fully in support of the protest against the protest bike ride with our privilege and all.

It is time to take a stand against this destruction.

If nothing gets done and we just sit back and watch things unfold, nothing will stop Jonkershoek nature reserve turning into a squatter camp

post-78888-0-96777500-1538127094_thumb.jpg

I find this behavior beyond disgusting.

Everyone feels that they are entitled to everything and will destroy everything in their path to get it.

I am fully in support of the protest against the protest bike ride with our privilege and all.

It is time to take a stand against this destruction.

If nothing gets done and we just sit back and watch things unfold, nothing will stop Jonkershoek nature reserve turning into a squatter camp

He looks pretty stoked in that photo