camelback cleaning

KeithB

what's the best way to keep a camelback bladder & pipe in pristine condition?  

miltons? 

sterident? 

store in freezer?  

all of the above?

none of the above?

what say the assembled brains trust?  

The original camelbak's got a antibacterial bladder. So soapy water will work fine. But if you've got another brand....try jik and miltons and dettol...

ja, it's an original Camelback.  so does that mean the pipe will never get coated with foul black stuff?   I had a Polarpack before, kept the bladder in the freezer (it was desinged for that, it had some blue gel stuff built in which froze and kept the liquid cooler for longer) - but the pipe had this foul black coating  Unhappy    I want to avoid that happening again.

You can buy a Camelback brush which fits down the tube and is great for getting the black stuff out

Even a Camelback bladder will get vat 'moaldie' stuff in the pipe if it's not kept clean!!!! Miltons and a CamelBack cleaning kit keep mine pristine.

But then again I only use a Camelback at Sabie experience these days so maybe my comments have little value?

I have only ever used water in mine,  have always rinsed it with Miltons, half filled it ( pipe as well ) with water and left it in the freezer for weeks at a time.. This now for nearly 3 years. Never a black spot or foul smelling water..

Cold water is great in summer, buts a bit *** when you forget to take it out of the freezer in time and you end up with a block of ice on your back..Confused

I rince my Hydra pak out with warm water. I rund warm water through the hose aswell. Swing the hose to get alll the water out. Turn the bladder inside out (Hydrapack can do that) and let it dry on the washing line. When dry, just roll it up and store untill next time. Over a year like that now and no problems.

I rinsed my hydration bladder with a Milton solution and left it overnight without killing the black stuff. After I rinsed it I hung it outside in the sun for 2 days - and now it leaks! So I guess I've learnt that sunlight is a bad idea...

ok, I was driving past MSC earlier so stopped by and bought one of those camelback cleaning kits.    That should prevent any problems developing - provided of course I use it and don't be lazy ...