Help us fight bike theft and bike jacking!

darrentuck

Hi, we're busy coming up with ideas to fight bike jacking, and to improve safety in general in what SHOULD be safe biking zones (for both road and trail cycling).

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated if you could take this quick poll, it will only take a few minutes of your time.

Thank you in advance!

You can find the survey here:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/S2RJC3J

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure you not just doing research so you can sell something?

Apologies, I'm new here so I should possibly have added a disclaimer, so yes, I do want to build a product.  However, the goal is that it will:

a)  be cheaper than imported alternatives

b)  be built in South Africa by South Africans, and will help fight a South African problem

c)  pay for itself in the long term by reducing insurance premiums 

d)  make cycling safer by increasing the risk of stealing bikes

I am collecting research data so that I can design a product that is well priced and will in fact fight crime and make cycling safer.

Hey, introduce yourself first. Maybe post a bit and show your colours. Then ask me to do your market research for you.

Edited by openmind

Apologies, I'm new here so I should possibly have added a disclaimer, so yes, I do want to build a product.  However, the goal is that it will:

b)  be built in South Africa by South Africans, and will help fight a South African problem

I am collecting research data so that I can design a product that is well priced and will in fact fight crime and make cycling safer.

How would you make cycling safer by increasing the theft risk? Point d) Ahem...

I'm all for new ideas and bike and rider safety. Folk here are also very welcoming and helpful to new members. But when your first post tries to sell something. You should expect a few sneers. Nothing personal.

I did the survey.

I assume your product incorporates a tracking device fitted to frame?

I'm all for new ideas and bike and rider safety. Folk here are also very welcoming and helpful to new members. But when your first post tries to sell something. You should expect a few sneers. Nothing personal.

I did the survey.

I assume your product incorporates a tracking device fitted to frame?

Thank you, and hey I dont know the rules, and I'm just trying to find a solution to a real problem.

Yes the idea is to use GPS, this data will be available instantly on your phone (and a website), and will also include speed, distance, routes, altitude, etc.  

There are products overseas with similar features but they cost +- R2000.  I'm aiming to do the same for R500 or so, but I am trying to find out if there would be enough reason to build something like this, since it would cost a couple hundred k to get started, and there are lots of technical hurdles.

How would you make cycling safer by increasing the theft risk? Point d) Ahem...

I would hope to link up with law enforcement or tracking teams.  Having the device would deter thieves since their risk of being caught is higher, thus (hopefully) decreasing bike crime in general.  The bike would have a route deviation mode, and/or some smart features that would trigger an alarm mode.

Maybe its just a pipe dream, but hey, I like to think we can do something about crime.

I've got no qualms... I'll do the survey and hope that it helps build a product that will reduce the amount of bike crime about. 

It takes a few minute and is at least a positive step. Never know with our help the guy might make a better device that works better and is worth buying rather than missing the mark and everyone still mumbling and grumbling about hijackings, thefts and what happens to all the bikes.

Jeez some times the negativity and suspicion is unreal. 

I would hope to link up with law enforcement or tracking teams.  Having the device would deter thieves since their risk of being caught is higher, thus (hopefully) decreasing bike crime in general.  The bike would have a route deviation mode, and/or some smart features that would trigger an alarm mode.

Maybe its just a pipe dream, but hey, I like to think we can do something about crime.

Go for it dude. What the hell, I might even throw some venture capitol at you.

Don't worry about the comments on here (that's just par for the course). I'm sure the founders of Google and Facebook had the same when they started out with their lofty ideas of changing the hole world......

I'm currently evaluating one of the overseas products in the mentioned price range. (Two devices for that price).

Will give more feedback in a month or two.

Couple of notes for now:

a) Make it with less features - start with just tracking of the bike to safe battery life - which you would need as long as possible from the moment the theft took place, not for fancy stuff while riding. Strava do the rest already.

b) Make the app rock solid stable - easier with less/basic/important features.

c) The less it is discussed on public forums, the less information is available on how to find/bypass/disable the device. This is the biggest issue - the more people use it, the more informed the thieves would be.

d) Mine has a LED light and noise alerts that you can trigger to see/hear your device - The sound might give the thieve a fright, but then also indicate where the device are. Only worthwhile if it make a noise when exiting the virtual fence I guess. Recording voices/discussions might be a later / advance feature.

If you can find a place/way on the bike to hide the device completely and where it cant be removed in a minute or two by an angle grinder, you would have a winner - even at more than R500.

At first I was ready to throw in the towel, but I'm glad I didn't.

Thank you to all who have already done the survey - some very positive results so far!

I'll post another update here in a week or so to let you know the results, but so far it seems like there's definitely a need 

I'm currently evaluating one of the overseas products in the mentioned price range. (Two devices for that price).

Will give more feedback in a month or two.

Couple of notes for now:
a) Make it with less features - start with just tracking of the bike to safe battery life - which you would need as long as possible from the moment the theft took place, not for fancy stuff while riding. Strava do the rest already.

b) Make the app rock solid stable - easier with less/basic/important features.

c) The less it is discussed on public forums, the less information is available on how to find/bypass/disable the device. This is the biggest issue - the more people use it, the more informed the thieves would be.

d) Mine has a LED light and noise alerts that you can trigger to see/hear your device - The sound might give the thieve a fright, but then also indicate where the device are. Only worthwhile if it make a noise when exiting the virtual fence I guess. Recording voices/discussions might be a later / advance feature.

If you can find a place/way on the bike to hide the device completely and where it cant be removed in a minute or two by an angle grinder, you would have a winner - even at more than R500.

Thank you!  Really appreciate the feedback.  

Our concept for now is to design a super simple zero-config "tracker only" device, at the lowest price possible, which is what you have suggested.  We could still export data to Strava even in this basic version, which would add value for those who enjoy the analytics.

Thanks again for the feedback.

At first I was ready to throw in the towel, but I'm glad I didn't.

Thank you to all who have already done the survey - some very positive results so far!

I'll post another update here in a week or so to let you know the results, but so far it seems like there's definitely a need 

Thank you!  Really appreciate the feedback.  

Our concept for now is to design a super simple zero-config "tracker only" device, at the lowest price possible, which is what you have suggested.  We could still export data to Strava even in this basic version, which would add value for those who enjoy the analytics.

Thanks again for the feedback.

My current one work in 'low spatial resolution/interval' to safe battery life - you can remotely throw it into high res for a couple of minutes if detail is required. This 'low res' would not be detailed enough to use as a cycle route.

You might have other ways to get around it.

I would go 'hmmmm' if you ask me to pay for a reduced 'tracking' ability to compete with analytics that I can get for free.