Which Dual Sus Carbon? Scott or Giant?

Nic H

Hi, I'm still riding a 5 year old Spez Epic Comp Carbon and now looking for something new. The 2016 models coming out now are above my budget, so after doing quite a bit of research, I've narrowed my search down to two bikes that's still available in 2015 models at quite good prices: The Scott Spark 930 or Giant Anthem Advanced Carbon (650b or 29).

Would love to hear some opinions here. Does anyone have experience of both? I do mostly trail riding with the occasional longer distances and races like W2W, Houw Hoek, K2C, etc.

I tried a friend's Scott 930 recently and loved it. Will also be taking out a demo of the Athem 650b this weekend to see how it compares.

Mmmmm, trail riding. Scott have a reputation of frame failures. Giant Anthem is great. My money, 2015 Spez Camber comp carbon, R38,000, on sale at Bridge cycles. That is a great xc/trail bike.

Mmmmm, trail riding. Scott have a reputation of frame failures. Giant Anthem is great. My money, 2015 Spez Camber comp carbon, R38,000, on sale at Bridge cycles. That is a great xc/trail bike.

Yes I had a look at the Camber and Stumpjumper as well. I need a large and the one at Bridge cycles is a medium. I did find one last large elsewhere but the problem is that I won't be allowed to take it out for a test, and if I'm going to be parting with that amount of cash, I want to be pretty damn sure the bike is a perfect fit. I made that mistake once and I wont again.

Ok, I spent half of yesterday on a demo Anthem Carbon 650b and over the last few weeks also tried a friend's Scott Spark 930 on several occasions. From all my research and comments, the Giant was the bike to get, but, and I will probably get crucified for saying this, I prefer the Scott. In my experience it rolls better, climbs a lot easier, handles better and it's faster. On trails and XC. The climbing especially was very noticable.

For almost the same price, the Giant has slightly better components and it's a great bike. I just enjoyed the Scott a lot more, and that's what mountain biking is all about for me.

Thanks for all the comments.

Ok, I spent half of yesterday on a demo Anthem Carbon 650b and over the last few weeks also tried a friend's Scott Spark 930 on several occasions. From all my research and comments, the Giant was the bike to get, but, and I will probably get crucified for saying this, I prefer the Scott. In my experience it rolls better, climbs a lot easier, handles better and it's faster. On trails and XC. The climbing especially was very noticable.

For almost the same price, the Giant has slightly better components and it's a great bike. I just enjoyed the Scott a lot more, and that's what mountain biking is all about for me.

Thanks for all the comments.

Ultimately this is what matters most... what do YOU ENJOY most!

• 2 weeks later...

I ride a Scott,I have ridden a 2013 Epic comp for about a week once and would rather ride that before I go for a new Scott..

Only problem is where I live, nobody can service the Specialized and those concept stores in JHB charge a arm and a leg..that's the only reason I ride a Scott

Giant all the way - the company is a great company, focused on building the best value for money, strong, light - machines and they're good with warranties.

Well specc'd complete bikes and damn they're fun to ride.  I myself am on my first Giant now, and will stick to the brand as long as they keep doing what they're doing now.

Just check the forums for warranty claims, heard so many bad experiences with scott guys (currently a thread running on the top right with recent posts) and i myself have had a Giant frame replaced over the December holidays where i dropped bike off on a Monday and was riding my new bike on the friday!