Athletics

Capricorn

As a prelude to the 2016 Olympics, this year's world champs in Beijing is proving to be quite interesting me thinks. IAAF doping scandal, positive findings in some kenyans, old heroes,new faces and the lovely spin on the battle between Bolt and Gatlin: Good vs Evil. love it!

but i must say, i felt a special bit of pride: our first gold of this year's world champs! News24's take on it is says it all:

South African sprinting sensation Wayde van Niekerk has claimed the gold medal at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing on Wednesday to become the first African 400m runner in almost a century to win a major global title.

http://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/9c7ab6cebe846382f5a68a058778a8ae250e7463/0_101_4928_2959/master/4928.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=aa50b12409f65575adb47b5cbcb79efa

This after being a diamond league winner, and going under 20sec in the 200m at the Euro Athletics Classic in Switzerland earlier this year. Phenomenal! Must be the hot favorite for olympic gold as well.

Next up is the good vs evil battle in the 200m. Keen to see where jobodwana will finish.

and how was that Kenyan, Julian Yego, throwing the 3rd longest throw in javelin history (under current restrictions)? 92.72m!

http://c.files.bbci.co.uk/17C77/production/_85199379_gettyimages-485243588.jpg

or that hottie dutch 100m sprint sensation Dafne Schippers. My word she has a savage turn of speed in the last 30m. She came 2nd in the 100m final, but i reckon she's a massive threat to the current women's champ Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce. This could be Schippers Olympics...

Dafne_Schippers_Moscow_2013.jpg

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what i found amazing about the kenyan is that he took up javelin because he was not doing as well as he wanted in the middle distances...so he learnt javelin by watching youtube videos!

Well done to our man - I am surprised it has not been more publicly acknowledged actually

what i found amazing about the kenyan is that he took up javelin because he was not doing as well as he wanted in the middle distances...so he learnt javelin by watching youtube videos!

Well done to our man - I am surprised it has not been more publicly acknowledged actually

wow! Now that bit about the kenyan is interesting. what a turn of fortunes! In fact, i was confused when i saw kenya and javelin in teh same sentence. Simple cognitive bias towards kenyans and any else other than distance running events :P

Bit of unfounded cynicsm on my behalf, but in light of other kenyans being caught out for doping, i really hope he wasn't juicing.

and bang-on about Wade not being made a bigger deal of. Same aggravation I have with Greg Minnaar's lack of recognition. But i'll bet sascoc will be salivating all over this.

Edited by Capricorn

Men 200m meter gonna be a good one . 

yep. Gatlin looks on form. Doubt he will make the same mistake he did in the 100m, long striding toward the finish, but effectively upsetting his rhythm and losing momentum.

Jabodwana looking relaxed in the heats and notching up a PB.

ja. well razzmatazz was straight onto the twitters celebrating it. check the reply from 200m runner

New African - SA record 43.48 @WaydeDreamer GOLD GOLD GOLD

@MbalulaFikile @WaydeDreamer Buy him a house & a car 1f440.png

Jobadwana comes 3rd in 200m with a new National record, first South African to go under 20sec, 19,87!!!!

Jobadwana comes 3rd in 200m with a new National record, first South African to go under 20sec, 19,87!!!!

is he the first? Wade van Niekerk already has a sub-20sec 200m at the Euro Athletics classic in switzerland earlier this year.

but still. sub-20!!! BRONZE!  damn well done!

that should offset his deliberate false-start in the 100m heats.

Edited by Capricorn

baie naby! Well done boytjie - now before razzmatazz gets on the twitters, remember he has done all his development on the US collegiate circuit.  

Jobodwana over Edward, 19.861 to 19.863 - just two thousandths of a second between a medal and no medal.

http://media.aws.iaaf.org/competitiondocuments/photofinish/4875/M_200_f_1.jpg?v=-1105778977