Leigh's Cycle Center

JKK

It's Friday..

I asked my wife to take my front tyre to the Leigh's Cycle Center at the Pavillion as she was already headed that way and the tyre needed sealant and to be pumped up.

Got a phone call back saying it is done and the damage is R209!!!

Maybe I am not used to the prices in Durban but last year I got my tyre filled with sealant and pumped up at my LBS in Pretoria East MAHALA!

They claim that the bottle of sealant used costs R109 and the labour was R100.. To pump up a tyre!

I called them and said that was ridiculous and the guy on the phone replied "OK Cool".

I guess I will have to continue my quest to find a LBS in Durban...

Maybe It's more worthwhile to trek up the hill to Greg Minaar's in PMB once a month.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gregs did up a buddies wheel for like 50 bucks or something.

My LBS does it for 60 bucks.

If you dont know the store, maybe check prices before.

Leighs Pavillion has got the be the worst shop in Durban. Service levels are shocking, I will never walk into that shop again.

I have been using Cyclesphere since I moved back to Durban and they have been nothing short of awesome.

Can't wait to see all the replies saying that the cycle store was in the right.

Don't expect it for free, but hey, I would be moerse pissed off if I get charged R209 for that job.

Edit: I normally do my tyres myself, but I once needed my LBS to do it for me. Think he charged me 50 ZAR's. It was about 3 months back.

Edited by HDW

You really want it done for nothing? Even worse you take it to the bikes shop?

What are you going to do when you have a flat on the trail?

Don't think he necessarily wanted it done for free, he is just complaining about the unexpectedly high cost of (in his words) topping up sealant and inflating the tyre.

If this is all they actually did, then yes, that is expensive :eek:

Sealant would cost you in the R50-R60 region if done by a LBS, from past experiences

Don't think he necessarily wanted it done for free, he is just complaining about the unexpectedly high cost of (in his words) topping up sealant and inflating the tyre.

If this is all they actually did, then yes, that is expensive :eek:

Sealant would cost you in the R50-R60 region if done by a LBS, from past experiences

Maybe they had to do more? Like clean the tyre inside and redo the rim tape? 

Most businesses like plumbers and electricians etc have a minimum call out charge and most are happy to pay it because the work is usually something they cannot do.

You cannot change/add sealant, yet you expect to deliver your bike to a LBS and ask them to do it and expect to pay nothing or very little??

Maybe in future you should ask how much it will cost before the work is done.

As a bottle of Stans is in the region of R500, so R109 is not far off being around 20% of a bottle which is probably what they used... unless you specified a cheaper sealant to be used?

I bet if it was your own business you would consider charging as time is money when you are a business owner.

Maybe they had to do more? Like clean the tyre inside and redo the rim tape? 

If that is the case, then the cost is justifiable.

And as shaper said, time is money.

But I have learnt to do a lot basic things myself, because as a student, cycling could easily bankrupt me if I had to take my bike in for every little issue :P

Snip*

I bet if it was your own business you would consider charging as time is money when you are a business owner.

You are very right. We demand things cheaply or even for free and as long as it's not demanded from us, no no then people must pay!

General comment, not directed at OP.