2016 Merida Big Nine XT Edition for 16K - Yes or No

Chris J

Howzit all, need some advise please.

Searched the forum stukkend and from what I have learned this is not a bad bike, there are other options, but at the moment i can get this for 16K, and at this price it seems like a good deal.

Bit of background.

I don't do any serious racing, this bike will mostly be used for commuting to work and the odd weekend ride or race.  

I currently use a 2010 KHS Alite 500 - Low end bike but does the job.

I do about 100km a week

I am pretty big - 1,96 CM so I recon a 29'er will suit me better.

Is this still good value for 16K?

Howzit all, need some advise please.

Searched the forum stukkend and from what I have learned this is not a bad bike, there are other options, but at the moment i can get this for 16K, and at this price it seems like a good deal.

Bit of background.

I don't do any serious racing, this bike will mostly be used for commuting to work and the odd weekend ride or race.  

I currently use a 2010 KHS Alite 500 - Low end bike but does the job.

I do about 100km a week

I am pretty big - 1,96 CM so I recon a 29'er will suit me better.

Is this still good value for 16K?

hey, not bad value at all... full XT components with a strong alloy frame....but my gut tells me you could get something competitive in terms of a Specialized Crave or GT Zaskar at that price, maybe coming in at a slightly lower weight... The Merida, with full XT, means it will be very reliable, even if a little heavier than a similar Zaskar or Crave, or even Giant XTC

Your issue is at your height, you need an XL, and those arent freely available in the classifieds, so you may have to look new.

If you like the ride, and have looked at a few other options and they dont catch your fancy or feel as lekker, then go for it.

Edited by ByronH

Thanks Byron, the price is on a new one so I thought I might as well jump on it.  I am not to worried about weight, I want something reliable and I want gears that change when I want it to change, this is something that really frustrates me on my current ride.

I also like the look of the 2016, matt Black and Grey, very pretty 

Very good,very reliable bike this,more than enough bike for the average Joe cyclist.I've got a mate that rides the 2015 model and only problem his had is a dent on the rear wheel.We do live in a very rocky area and he is not exactly the lightest guy on the trails.The wheel was stil rideable,but 'gat jeuk' made him upgrade to Stans Arch EX wheels.IMHO the wheels would be the only upgrade u MIGHT ever need.

Thanks for the comments guys, went and bought it this weekend, what a ride!

Compared to my old KHS this bike rocks!  Knocked a couple of minutes of my ride into work this morning, real test will be back home this afternoon when its mostly uphill - my arse will have to get used to the rock hard seat though, old bike had a nice fat and cushy one.

I've bought the Merida and I'm very happy with it. The matt black/grey looks awesome. It's got good XT hubs, the saddle might need a upgrade in the short term. The next XT groupset is so crisp and smooth, shifts sooo good. The front de-railer is wickedly quick.

Well forth the investment.

My plan is to upgrade the frame at a later stage, as the XT groupset will keep on going with regular services.