Ironman 70.3 Race wheelset

Mathew

Hi All,

I am asking your oppinions on a pair of Ironman 70.3 Racing wheels.

I currently have Zipp 303's that were me old climbing wheels. I am decent on the bike I rode a 2:25 bike time at DURBAN 70.3 this year with shoe problems.

I come from a national XC background so I'm quite strong on the bike.

I'm looking for the perfect wheelset I am really keen on Disk rear and 808 front but I'm not sure for East Londons course.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Other options would be 808 front and rear, 1080 rear 808 front? Anything like that.

Worst case if the wind is terrible in east London I'll use my 303's anyway.

Thanks so much,

Matt

post-35612-0-78590800-1441610747_thumb.jpg

I would not go beyond 404's rim depth on the front, even those can be scary at speed in mild conditions never mind in the wind. The wind might be zero or mild early and get stronger later... 

Use the 303's.  That course is very hilly and windy.  Go light keep a high cadence and it will pay dividends on the run.  Keep the deep stuff for Midlands / Durban races.

Having said that it will be nice to have options and check out conditions first....

88/90s back and front. Done.

I am fairly heavy though but bike strong.

The new U shape wheels are far less twitchy on the front if the wind is blowing (not howling)