Beginners guide to basic nutrition, health and training

JuddMan

Gooday all :clap:

I wonder if any one can give me some advice as to correct nutrition and training for some one starting out.

Basically what I want to do is increase my endurance on a mountain bike whilst on the trails etc. I want to be able to increase my ability to cover longer distances.

On top of that, I know that correct nutrition intake is as good as the training itself. My basic understanding is that you should have your 2L bladder filled with cold water and have a bottle or two on the bike filled with game/powerade. effectively, enough for hydration and enough for electrolytes. Depending on the distance, I am sure throwing in a power bar every now and then is also necessary.

Give me some ideas that you use regarding the above or correct me where I am wrong. :thumbup:

There are quite a few good topics on BikeHub regarding nutrition, give them a search.

What distances are you riding with the above mentioned nutrition?

For rides and hour or less, I'd only use water. For anything longer I'd start using carb drinks and perhaps carb bars / bananas / etc. For rides longer than 4 hours I'd look at protein products / whole food /sandwich / etc after the 4 hour mark.

I'd also stay clear of Powerade/Energade which is basically sugar water. Game is isotonic and a better option and for races, look at something like 32gi or the like.

Personally I think a 2L camelbak and two bottles is enough liquid to last you a couple rides. Don't make the mistake of taking in too many calories (game/powerade and energy bars). You not signing up for an everest climb. Anything under two hours and you should be just on water. Take an energy bar with just in case you do bonk (not sure of your fitness level), but you should be fine. 

Gooday all :clap:

<snip> bottle or two on the bike filled with game/powerade

Give me some ideas that you use regarding the above or correct me where I am wrong. :thumbup:

A definite no to the powerade thing.

Try 32GI. Pretty good stuff.

EDIT: And I see Wez got in before me

(must learn to read the thread before chiming in  :blush: )

Edited by SAGecko

If you doing a training ride, I think the 2L filled camel back is great. You will probably become more efficient the more you ride. But in a race, I now only carry 2 small bottles on the bike , one with water and the other with energade, both not even filled to the top. Since I'm not a Top 100 rider I don't mind stopping at the water points and taking in some water. The bottles are there just to take the odd sip and sometimes I finish the race with some liquids left.

I now only carry 2 small bottles on the bike , one with water and the other with energade

"Basically what I want to do is increase my endurance on a mountain bike" - OP

The proviso was that he wanted to increase his capacity to endure. Energade ain't going to do that.

Thanks for the responses thus far. I will definitely stay away from energade then.

Perhaps mentioning my fitness level would help. I am 24, 1.93m and weigh 115kg's. So effectively, I am quite overweight with little to no fitness. 

What would you guys recommend I do in order to increase my ability to ride longer distances? 

Thanks for the responses thus far. I will definitely stay away from energade then.

Perhaps mentioning my fitness level would help. I am 24, 1.93m and weigh 115kg's. So effectively, I am quite overweight with little to no fitness. 

What would you guys recommend I do in order to increase my ability to ride longer distances? 

TITS (Time In The Saddle)

Thats pretty much it, you need to ride a lot, it gets easier pretty quickly.

Play Rugby. On paper. Not much difference between you and Spies

Riding further is mostly in the mind in my opinion. A lot of beginners underestimate how far they can go. I'm not saying go out and ride 80km. But if you push yourself 10km further on your next ride then you'll set a precedent. Once you know you have set that bar, your next ride will be to go further then that. Diet and nutrition all play a part yes, but you've got to have the will to push yourself.

you are 24

eat whatever you like and ride as far as your imagination will take you ....

fitness happens real fast at your age all it takes is the will to do it

for about 6 or so more years you will be able to get away with anything :clap:

enjoy it :thumbup:

to ride longer distances one must rides longer distances one must ride longer distances OR

ride shorter distances faster and then slow down when doing the longer distances

Ride longer distances.

Play Rugby. On paper. Not much difference between you and Spies

He said he only uses energade 

just ride your bike and you will get better. Energy drinks is no substitute for a lack of fitness or strength.

I am riding for just about 11 months now, and in the past 5 months I have being try to ride between 7-10 hours a week and around 200km. has worked wonders to what I can handle.