Review: Specialized Zee Cage II & EMT Cage Mount Tool

Iwan Kemp

I have the cage and multi tool on my PYGA, I also have the Specialized chain breaker that fits into the fork steerer (Looks like a top cap) it holds a multilink and together with the multitool is your chain breaker.

The bottle cake IMO is the best available, the multitool works perfectly and has the essential tools needed, the chain breaker is genius!

The products are extremely well made, and will go down as one of my best MTB acquisitions, I am not a Specialized fan, but this kit, is brilliant.

I also don't like gear in my pocket and with my Sahmurai in my bars, I can now fill a bottle with water, jump on my bike and go ride, knowing I have 95% of my bases covered WRT technical issues on the trail.

I have a small Lezyne CO2 pump and Bomb, that I take with, then I'm sorted.

not cheap though, but worth every cent.

The cage is around R200, the chain breaker tool R450, and the multitool, R450 too, if memory serves.

I'm definitely going to be getting myself that multitool. Will just pair it with my normal cage for now, and if it doesn't fit lekker then I'll get the zee cage. 

i guess as an alternative one can 'maak n iets' and tape their existing multitool to their bottlecage.

i like to chain breaker idea though...

Do people use the zee cage on their seatpost on mtb? Does it keep the bottle in over the rough stuff? That's NB for me.

i guess as an alternative one can 'maak n iets' and tape their existing multitool to their bottlecage.

i like to chain breaker idea though...

you make a good point. Velcro covering the "handle" pieces, and then add something to encase it on the cage. May be doing that instead... :)

Do people use the zee cage on their seatpost on mtb? Does it keep the bottle in over the rough stuff? That's NB for me.

It keeps the bottle in TIGHT. 

But - and here's the big one - you need a bottle with a distinct "neck" so that the upper section of the cage can clip into place and fully secure it. Something like this

http://images.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/0e2/2b4/7c6/26373/product_page/specialized-big-mouth-water-bottle.jpg

http://www.healthline.com/hlcmsresource/images/slideshow/pba-lurks-avoid/slide10_reusable-bottle.jpg

It keeps the bottle in TIGHT. 

But - and here's the big one - you need a bottle with a distinct "neck" so that the upper section of the cage can clip into place and fully secure it. Something like this

http://images.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/0e2/2b4/7c6/26373/product_page/specialized-big-mouth-water-bottle.jpg

http://www.healthline.com/hlcmsresource/images/slideshow/pba-lurks-avoid/slide10_reusable-bottle.jpg

Cool thanks. I used to use a spez ribcage (i think it was called), but it broke. I didnt know whether to trust the zee. I have found the same with any seatpost cage, the cage must hold the bottle at the neck or else it goes flying.

Cool thanks. I used to use a spez ribcage (i think it was called), but it broke. I didnt know whether to trust the zee. I have found the same with any seatpost cage, the cage must hold the bottle at the neck or else it goes flying.

Well, the bottle has stayed put through Hoogekraal (not a bottle with a distinctive neck" and then on my other adventures on Iwan's Hungry Monkey, and on Cobra in Hoogekraal there's a fair amount of rattling going on. I rate it highly. 

I have the cage and multi tool on my PYGA, I also have the Specialized chain breaker that fits into the fork steerer (Looks like a top cap) it holds a multilink and together with the multitool is your chain breaker.

The bottle cake IMO is the best available, the multitool works perfectly and has the essential tools needed, the chain breaker is genius!

The products are extremely well made, and will go down as one of my best MTB acquisitions, I am not a Specialized fan, but this kit, is brilliant.

I also don't like gear in my pocket and with my Sahmurai in my bars, I can now fill a bottle with water, jump on my bike and go ride, knowing I have 95% of my bases covered WRT technical issues on the trail.

I have a small Lezyne CO2 pump and Bomb, that I take with, then I'm sorted.

not cheap though, but worth every cent.

Good luck in using the chain breaker - personally I do not like, it is cumbersome and not easy/simple to use.  You must have time on your hand i.e. doing a leisurely cruise for it to come in handy, and also be born with a serious dose of patience...  Had it, sold it... 

And the Sahmurai - have to laugh - this is crap.  :thumbdown:  Also had one, you cannot load it with the big black plugs, and if you force it, it just breaks apart.  Had to help many a riders on the trials who had this and could not fix their tyre.  Also remember, if you crash you handlebar is usually the one thing that hits the ground hard, so be prepared to lose it, or have it wrecked.  Some I heard just fell out...

I guess, all I am saying is, work with it at home, understand how bad it is, and the real risk to lose or have it smashed after a crash, before you hit the trails. :whistling:

Unfortunately I am born a gimmick nut, so I always get burned by the not so good gimmicks. And no I do not learn... :blink:

I would happily drill another another hole in frame if that Spez lunchbox was cheaper, whats it like R2k now?