Bicycle firearm carry

Cape_Nerd

I am still waiting for my license so cannot give comment on the practical implications of carrying on the bike.

However I am of the opinion that I would rather attempt to protect myself, and possibly my cycling buddy, than to sit back and be shot/stabbed while on my knees and at the mercy of muggers with a reputation for violence.

With regards to the style of carrying: concealed as in any other situation, but I have thought of either getting a harness where the pistol is on your chest, however in the event of a crash this scares me, so I will probably look at a way of carrying on my upper leg/thigh. Even if it means having my training shorts modified.

Thus far I have spent way north of R10k for the pistol, competency, training etc. another R1000.00 to be able to (try to) protect my life and that of loved ones is worth it.

In the end to each its own. But IF you do decide to carry, make sure that you are comfortable with said weapon (whether it is a firearm, knife or pepperspray) and that you are trained and in practice to be able to use it safely. No point in killing/disabling yourself.

Just one last thought. Never pull your firearm if your life or that of another is not in danger

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You make valid points.

Proper training and regular practise to ensure you know your firearm is incredibly important. This is the main reason why I dont own a handgun yet.

Also, you should never draw if you are not planning to shoot.

I have been pondering the issue of carrying whilst cycling. Ideally you should always use the same holster in the ecxact same spot and this is where it becomes difficult. Hopefully by the time I get a handgun someone will have a proper working solution.

Carrying a weapon concealed with casual wear is already tricky enough so I cant imagine hiding it under your cycling shirt. If you do decide to pack I suggest strapping it to your chest. Please post pics of your chest when you run out off talent and crash.

I will take my glock with if I ride Die Burger next year

I use a bib short which i cover with a set of enduro style baggies.

Coupled with a minotaur holster and my glock19.

Just remember that no matter what you carry...if you fall on it you will swear in 11 official languages.

Will post pics just now.

I have a SWAT Pepper-Stream Canister (not a spray this one squirts like a water pistol) mounted on my bike using the belt clip it comes with and some cable ties. I loosed the clip onto he canister so I can remove it easily. It is useful for getting rid of troublesome dogs and other pests.

This photo is of it on my Congolese bike.

post-63-0-12730100-1442136723_thumb.jpg

Wayne, how do you do that?

I have the same holster that I use with my 19, but without a belt how do you get it to stay where it needs to be?

I find that mine, with a full mag, is heavy enough to sag whatever I am wearing unless there is a pretty substantial belt threaded through it

Just remember that no matter what you carry...if you fall on it you will swear in 11 official languages.

Will post pics just now.

when in NZ swop your glock for a couple of high fives and tel numbers. Thats what you will give or get from people along your ride

I have this which fits my CP1 perfectly (I wasn't rich enough in my student days to buy a Glock).

Just be aware that the sweaty side of the gun will take a hammering with rust if it isn't full plastic.

I haven't felt the need to carry yet, having said this, my best Strava time was achieved on the Blockhouse run when we came across 5 guys who clearly didn't look like they belonged up there..

post-44068-0-33419500-1442154706_thumb.jpg

Wayne, how do you do that?

I have the same holster that I use with my 19, but without a belt how do you get it to stay where it needs to be?

I find that mine, with a full mag, is heavy enough to sag whatever I am wearing unless there is a pretty substantial belt threaded through it

my alpinestar shorts have a belt loop. So i wear a tactical belt with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been contemplating on how to carry my S&W M&P 9c aswell.  I do however wear baggies but a chest strap might be the best option.  It is all about accessing it in the moment otherwise it is useless.