How to ride my first race with a Power Meter

Spirog

So, I've recently treated myself to a pair of PowerTap P1 pedals. I've trained with them both on the road and on my IDT. I love the data and the real time feedback. I've suffered through a 20 minute FTP test and have that score. No problem here.

On Sunday, I'm riding the R4V race. It will be my first with the power meter. What advice do the gurus on Bike Hub have for me in terms of using my new kit in the race.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I've recently treated myself to a pair of PowerTap P1 pedals. I've trained with them both on the road and on my IDT. I love the data and the real time feedback. I've suffered through a 20 minute FTP test and have that score. No problem here.

On Sunday, I'm riding the R4V race. It will be my first with the power meter. What advice do the gurus on Bike Hub have for me in terms of using my new kit in the race.

Turn off the power display and your HR display, and go and race hard.

Then look at the data afterwards.

I must agree with the train by the numbers if you must but race on feel approach, perhaps at an ITT or triathlon where you would like to 'measure your effort' over the distance it would be useful?

I may also just be talking rubbish though .... I am not a qualified coach or athlete 

Racing with the data from the pedals is pretty much just that, accumulating race data. Unless you plan on riding a solo TT where you're pacing at a predetermined wattage figure, the data appearing on your screen won't really "help".

You can plan what you'd like to do before hand, but if you're in a bunch and there are surges or break-aways and other racing tactics happening, your plan goes out of the window.

If the group decides it's flat box 50km/h time, you either hang on, or get spat out.

What's nice is that you'll have the data to analyse for the same event next year, and be able to plan what to do, according to what went right or wrong this year.

Racing with a power meter has been a bit of a revelation for me. For the longest time I didn't even want one. It has transformed my training (with the help of a coach) and the racing I have done with it has been amazing.

It is really useful for pacing your self from the middle to the end of the race. Use your FTP figures and stay in that range, decide on a climbing power and stay there. The ability to pace your self is really great.

Racing with a power meter has been a bit of a revelation for me. For the longest time I didn't even want one. It has transformed my training (with the help of a coach) and the racing I have done with it has been amazing.

It is really useful for pacing your self from the middle to the end of the race. Use your FTP figures and stay in that range, decide on a climbing power and stay there. The ability to pace your self is really great.

So, whay % of your FTP to do you aim to race at?

For road racing, this is only useful if you are not riding in the bunch - if you go racing with a bunch then pacing should be ignored - unless you are either on a breakaway in front, or dropped and trying to get home at best pace.

For a TT or triathalon, then using the PM to pace with is extremely useful, once you have good race data to work off to allow you to determine what the pace should be.

For MTB races it has some uses in terms of setting efforts.

In general, people tend self limit based on what their known training data is - and really what we want to know is what is possible in a race - thus turning off the visible displays of HR and Power seems to allow people to race harder.

I don't use my power or HR when racing. Like many have said, if there is an attack or climb you hang on for as long as you can. In my training ride my max HR is about 185 - 189 but in a race and it is time to be in the hurt box I have seen my hr reach 198. That's when I get the pins and needles and then it is time to think about slowing down.

Edited by Zatek

Can I ask why you went for the Powertap P1s instead of a Power2Max metre? I know the medals are easier to swap between bikes but from the websites it looks like Power2Max is half the price?

(edited: Half the price for the base model)

Edited by travisza

You cant race with a PM, unless you really think the bunch will slow down if you maxing out??? I use mine for training only..... the data from a race though may be a more true reflection of your capabilities as you are not really in control, if a move goes, you have to go with it....

Can I ask why you went for the Powertap P1s instead of a Power2Max metre? I know the medals are easier to swap between bikes but from the websites it looks like Power2Max is half the price?

(edited: Half the price for the base model)

I have a bike permanently set up on my IDT and a road bike. I needed a system that was easy to switch between the two. The pedals can be swopped from one to the other in 60 seconds. I'm on either of the bikes 4 or 5 days a week.

For road racing, this is only useful if you are not riding in the bunch - if you go racing with a bunch then pacing should be ignored - unless you are either on a breakaway in front, or dropped and trying to get home at best pace.

For a TT or triathalon, then using the PM to pace with is extremely useful, once you have good race data to work off to allow you to determine what the pace should be.

For MTB races it has some uses in terms of setting efforts.

In general, people tend self limit based on what their known training data is - and really what we want to know is what is possible in a race - thus turning off the visible displays of HR and Power seems to allow people to race harder.

Sorry, should have specified. My power meter is on my MTB. 

No "deciding" your pace in a road race.