Removing XT pedals

Benjamin

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

use the crank shaft and try squeeze the two together, crank and long end of Allen key, about 20 degrees apart, like using a nutcracker or a pair of pliers? failing that lengthen the Allen key for more leverage by slipping a pipe over it?

Don't use an Allen key! The sideways leverage can cause the Allen key to slip sideways and cause damage. Been there. You can use a T handle driver.

If it's really stuck , remove the crank and take it to somebody who has a pneumatic driver...

I sense a new thread from OP soon: "How to stop profuse knuckle bleeding?"

Almost. Was nearly going to be a " where do you find a damn 10mm pipe at 8:00 pm" thread, but CW quickly blew out my fire by telling me I wasn't allowed in the garage now, it too late. Chicks.

So now it's a " anyone know what time the LBS opens in the morning ? " thread.

Fit them with copaslip in the first place so they don't seize after getting wet a few times. Then they come out easily.

On impossible to remove pedals I use the allen key AND the pedal spanner. It is a 2 person job but it lessens the chance of stripping either. Some penetrating spray the night before is always a good insurance policy too... Good luck! Pop a drop of grease on the new thread before reinstalling.

If it has no pedals spanner slot then a long pipe over the allen key is your best bet. Leverage is king. Pedal forward, allen key just under crank, put foot on pedal and lean down on pipe over allen key. Wear gloves so it doesn't hurt too much when you punch the floor.

Edited by Eldron

This is how I've solved it before .... found with a normal allen key it keeps slipping out. Damn hard to cut the key though ????

You will note it is well used, helped a few mates out with it ☺

post-271-1442297617,7561.jpg

Fit them with copaslip in the first place so they don't seize after getting wet a few times. Then they come out easily.

How is that going to help now?

The problem unfortunately with XT spindles is if you slip with the allen key once or twice it cracks at the edge of the hex.  The more you try and loosen it then, the more it splays out and wedges into the crank arm.  I think it's a material issue, because the earlier XT's didn't have this problem. The XTR has the same issue.

The best way then, is to completely dismantle the pedal, remove the crank arm and clamp the spindle between two blocks of wood in a vice, and screw off the crank arm.  If you lucky you might be able to save the spindle but usually it's toast.

Then go to an engineering firm and get them to make you either one of these tools.  They stop the allen key slipping.

post-15215-0-22613400-1442299593_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-87204500-1442299601_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-47685600-1442299606_thumb.jpg