First Look Friday: Transition Patrol, Wolf Tooth Elliptical chainring, Specialized 2FO Clip

Nick

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we're featuring the Transition Patrol, an elliptical chain ring from Wolf Tooth and Specialized's 2FO Clip shoes.

Click here to view the article

I've read only good things about Transition bikes, but the welding of the gusset between the top tube and seat tube makes me want to kots.

There's a carbon version on the way.

Also, you don't really notice the welding when you're riding it  ;)

More like a 'second look' ;)

It's a fantastic bike, and you dont notice anything near the seatpost because you too busy having fun looking ahead :P

Perhaps, but this is definitely the first look on a Friday.  :whistling:

There's a carbon version on the way.

Also, you don't really notice the welding when you're riding it  ;)

I don't doubt that for a second.  :thumbup:

I don't doubt that for a second.  :thumbup:

I didn't really notice that piece of the bike until you mentioned it. It might be more pronounced with the longer seat post on the extra large frame we're testing. It does look a little out of place though.

I didn't really notice that piece of the bike until you mentioned it. It might be more pronounced with the longer seat post on the extra large frame we're testing. It does look a little out of place though.

its definitely less pronounced on my medium. I didn't even notice how that area's construction till now.

I wonder how it looks on the carbon XL: samurai pizza cat?

its definitely less pronounced on my medium. I didn't even notice how that area's construction till now.

I wonder how it looks on the carbon XL: samurai pizza cat?

Not even Transition themselves will know...they have only produced mediums up to now.

But here's another pic of the medium. ( The best I can do for now.)

post-30447-0-06829000-1441981706_thumb.jpg

the reinforcing bit might be the same size, but it will definitely be a lot more sculpted thanks to the carbon construction. Most likely not as noticeable. Irrespective, much a do about nothing.

What I've noticed about Transition Bikes ( while riding in the Alps), is that they are generally ridden by real hooligans. It doesn't matter if it's a TR500 downhill bike, a  Patrol or a 140mm / 125mm Scout, these guys ride their bikes like there is no tomorrow. While the rest of us are still thinking about a 10m+ gap , these guys do backflips over it. ( In their frokkies! )

A recent trend is also probably responsible for slightly over-designed AM bikes. Riders who had a trail bike and a downhill bike in the past, now have only 1 bike: An all mountain / downhill trail shredder that can stand the abuse dished out by the riders mentioned above. These guys now ride trails on their AM bikes that were "DH bike only" a couple of seasons ago. 

I think Transition kept this in mind when they designed the new range. They probably could have done with less welding, but a little bit of extra welding is 10x better than a broken frame. 

I can go on, but beer is waiting...

Edited by Samurai Pizza Cat

What I've noticed about Transition Bikes ( while riding in the Alpes), is that they are generally ridden by real hooligans.

Its the bike's fault, i swear. :devil:  That thing creates a sense of unreal capability. If you come up short, its definitely not the bike's fault. :thumbup: