Upgrading current MTB

Jaco B

Hi Everybody,

I've been reading on the forum for quite some time now, but never posted anything...... so here we go.

I'm in the process of upgrading my current MTB, a Raleigh (entry level, with the old V brakes etc.). I had a look at the Merida Big Nine CF  XT, but want to know if you guys can recommend it, or what other options are there in the same price range?

Thanks.

http://www.tlvexp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/how-long-is-a-piece-of-string.jpg

What he means is - help us to help you by giving a bit more info.

- What type of riding do you enjoy...and where?

- what height and weight are you (approx.)

- skill level ?

- budget ? ( hubbers will easily persuade you to spend way over your budget - we're all mad that way[emoji12] ).

@ DIRTYPOT, that is funny  :rolleyes: , but we all were NOOBS sometime or the other!

Jaco, JXV is right. 

choices = prices

HARDTAIL - DUAL SUS

26-27.5-29

MECHANICAL DISC - HYDRAULIC DISK

XC, TRAIL, DOWNHILL

BUILD - COMPLETE

ETC, ETC, ETC

At the moment I enjoy some trails here and there, starting to do MTB races, but would like to take it to the next level, maybe do the Sani2C in a year or two. I'm about 1.78m and weigh about 88 kg (Trying to get that down...). My bike handling is quite good (at least that's what I think.).

I'm looking at spending about R20 000 - R25 000. I have most of the kit, maybe get a garmin to go with the new bike.

At the moment I enjoy some trails here and there, starting to do MTB races, but would like to take it to the next level, maybe do the Sani2C in a year or two. I'm about 1.78m and weigh about 88 kg (Trying to get that down...). My bike handling is quite good (at least that's what I think.).

I'm looking at spending about R20 000 - R25 000. I have most of the kit, maybe get a garmin to go with the new bike.

Im just going to come out and say it, Giant Anthem.

Sorry folks nothing more to see here... :P

Seriously though it you are looking at stage races and races in general that arent enduro/downhill then you will find it hard to beat an anthem.

.... Lol, Anthem. I paid 25k for mine Anthem 27.5, with almost full XT group.

If you go though many of the threads where guys are asking for advice on what to buy, most common answer is Giant Anthem/Trance, value for money on the Giant are unbeatable, and they're GREAT bikes.

I have a Giant Anthem 29er and it takes all the uphill I can give it as well as treating it like a downhill Giant Reign - best buy ever ! The bike just goes with no issues and a little TLC and you good to go for years to come. Good luck

Edited by Nick G

If you can find an anthem for that price...it seems people dont just get rid of anthems...i had 20 000 cash to buy a second hand 2014 or 2015 model...couldnt find a second hand one for that price...had to break my piggy bank to add an extra R 6000 for a brand new one...i believe you will need an extra R10 000 for a 2016 model...[emoji15] and its a terrible slime green...nothing a cool wrap couldnt sort out.

Edited by isetech

Hi Jaco.

I am a fraction taller and lighter. 1.78m will put you on the borderline between medium and large frame size for most makes of bike. Strongly suggest you try out both sizes where you can.

29er or 27.5 will be ok. With a preference for marathon / stage races I suggest 29er but not a critical issue.

For a mix of trail riding and not too serious racing, including marathon rides I suggest full suspension over hard tail.

Your budget will get you onto a decent entry level alu full sus bike or a better spec 2nd hand one. For the same money you'll get a well specced alu hardtail if you go that way.

2014 new old stock Giant Anthems are in your price range right now due to nice discounts.

Jaco

I dropped my 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced, large frame 29er, off last week at the bike shop to sell. It is in that price range. It is going with a Garmin 800 and a extreme lights XP7 which is new. You would just need to see if the large frame is ok with your height of 1.78m.

The bike also has a Rock Shox reverb stealth dropper post on it and Racing Ralph tubeless tyres.

Drop me a mail if you are interested.

I am waiting for the 2016 Anthem.

Anthem SX.

Same as the normal Anthem but just adds 20mm to the front travel. Rides the same going up, makes going down more fun.

I picked up a 2013 Anthem X advance for 21k, so they're around. Carbon frame, full XT, etc.. Money well spent I say.

Converted fork to 120mm last week; loving the change, it's a whole new bike now. So I'll add a +1 for the SX.