divernick

Cotic use a more refined tubeset if I am not mistaken

Only on some of their frames do they use 853, otherwise its just normal 4130 with a silly name.. 

like everyone else lol

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only on some of their frames do they use 853, otherwise its just normal 4130 with a silly name.. 

like everyone else lol

No! You telling me that my beloved Niner ROS9 is just as generic and idiot-overpriced as Cotic and all other 'Steel is Real' machines?

NOOOOOO!!!!!! 

No! You telling me that my beloved Niner ROS9 is just as generic and idiot-overpriced as Cotic and all other 'Steel is Real' machines?

NOOOOOO!!!!!! 

just remember, most of the Makro bikes are also steel  :ph34r:

Was riding 3 passes with two friends - one on an MTB and the other one on the proper road bike. Thus, my Escapade is faster than the fromer but cannot compete with the latter so I was a good balance between the two of them :)

Steel does give you an interesting feeling - it likes strong legs since it's hard to get it going - but once done, it's the beast which is hard to stop.

And on the other days I just commute...

nS4fHEcM5L_gLtNnTAnTYad24wXZ7aHa2ClQVonc

Was riding 3 passes with two friends - one on an MTB and the other one on the proper road bike. Thus, my Escapade is faster than the fromer but cannot compete with the latter so I was a good balance between the two of them :)

Steel does give you an interesting feeling - it likes strong legs since it's hard to get it going - but once done, it's the beast which is hard to stop.

And on the other days I just commute...

nS4fHEcM5L_gLtNnTAnTYad24wXZ7aHa2ClQVonc

God! That is HOT!

These bikes really come alive when you mix the gravel and tar in one ride. Once you've experienced that (which I'm sure you have), you realise why gravel bikes really do have a niche of their own...

Yes, I know my chain is off. Dropped it on the last corner at the finish line.

My chainring isn't as round as it should be, so has a tight spot and a loose spot... gives a few issues.

post-46099-0-07732300-1525371381_thumb.jpg

Edited by DirtyDan

Hey Guys, just in case you're not actively looking but follow this thread. i whould like to swop a Large Solaris max frame for a Medium.

done just over 300km

post-15355-0-30575700-1525972758_thumb.jpg

God! That is HOT!

These bikes really come alive when you mix the gravel and tar in one ride. Once you've experienced that (which I'm sure you have), you realise why gravel bikes really do have a niche of their own...

Thank you :)

Yeah it's good enough to go from the tar in town and around to the gravel on the mountain e.g. Blockhouse and back. Hard to find friends though that would bear with me on the road (road bikes too fast!) and on the trails (MTB is a different story). But good to just get out there and ride without much thought... 

A true test will be, Amarider 100miler next weekend. And a good chance to love or hate it!  :devil:

Edited by Catty

So I was nearly at the point of selling my Solaris Max because it wasn't getting ridden enough, but in a turn of events my wife started riding again - so my XC bike (her bike) is no longer available to me so I needed something to fill that gap and the Solaris was the perfect cadidate. Here's what I did:

- Swapped 27.5+ wheels for 29ers with fast rolling tyres

- Fitted a longer stem (75mm) with a narrower carbon bar (720mm)

- Drop suspension to 110mm from 130mm (still waiting for the air spring to arrive)

- Added mounts for a 2nd water bottle cage in the frame

Then last week my Stumpys frame cracked, so while it's out of order I have been riding the Solaris lots. I gotta say with the changes made I love this bike - it pedals fast, is so nimble, and descends like a demon!! Seriously best of both worlds - it's comfy (steel is real!), it can take 2 bottles while running a 150mm travel dropper, it can climb, and it can descend!!

I've had this bike for a while, but being forced to only ride it over the last week or so has given me a new appreciation for how awesome it is, and it will be seeing more frequent use from here on out.

post-82251-0-55910700-1526160565_thumb.jpg

So I was nearly at the point of selling my Solaris Max because it wasn't getting ridden enough, but in a turn of events my wife started riding again - so my XC bike (her bike) is no longer available to me so I needed something to fill that gap and the Solaris was the perfect cadidate. Here's what I did:

- Swapped 27.5+ wheels for 29ers with fast rolling tyres

- Fitted a longer stem (75mm) with a narrower carbon bar (720mm)

- Drop suspension to 110mm from 130mm (still waiting for the air spring to arrive)

- Added mounts for a 2nd water bottle cage in the frame

Then last week my Stumpys frame cracked, so while it's out of order I have been riding the Solaris lots. I gotta say with the changes made I love this bike - it pedals fast, is so nimble, and descends like a demon!! Seriously best of both worlds - it's comfy (steel is real!), it can take 2 bottles while running a 150mm travel dropper, it can climb, and it can descend!!

I've had this bike for a while, but being forced to only ride it over the last week or so has given me a new appreciation for how awesome it is, and it will be seeing more frequent use from here on out.

Taking 2 bottles is a massive win! My ROS9 only takes one and it is seriously limiting when wanting to push 3-4 hour rides. Not the greatest fan of riding with a bag...

PLEASE give feedback once you've dropped the fork to 110mm! I'm wanting to drop my 140mm to 120/110mm for a less sluggish ride.

Taking 2 bottles is a massive win! My ROS9 only takes one and it is seriously limiting when wanting to push 3-4 hour rides. Not the greatest fan of riding with a bag...

PLEASE give feedback once you've dropped the fork to 110mm! I'm wanting to drop my 140mm to 120/110mm for a less sluggish ride.

A second water bottle for me is an absolute must - even on a 1hr ride in winter I need at least a liter of water and riding with a pack isn't my favourite thing. The Cotic also only takes one bottle - but I used Topeak versamount to add a second bottle. It's basically a glorified cable tie with bosses, and nice ruberized insides to protect the frame. Works a treat, and cheap - only R140.

If I do a race like 36One (planning on the full next year), I'll remove the dropper and install a rigid seatpost, allowing for a 3rd bottle on the seatpost too.

Will definitely give feedback once suspension is dropped (should be end of the week). At 130mm the front end lifts and wanders when climbing - and the Solaris is actually designed a 100 or 120mm fork. I was going to drop it to 100mm, but the Fox 34's shortest air spring is 110mm - but I think that will be a good middle ground that still allows for good descending capabilities.

A second water bottle for me is an absolute must - even on a 1hr ride in winter I need at least a liter of water and riding with a pack isn't my favourite thing. The Cotic also only takes one bottle - but I used Topeak versamount to add a second bottle. It's basically a glorified cable tie with bosses, and nice ruberized insides to protect the frame. Works a treat, and cheap - only R140.

If I do a race like 36One (planning on the full next year), I'll remove the dropper and install a rigid seatpost, allowing for a 3rd bottle on the seatpost too.

Will definitely give feedback once suspension is dropped (should be end of the week). At 130mm the front end lifts and wanders when climbing - and the Solaris is actually designed a 100 or 120mm fork. I was going to drop it to 100mm, but the Fox 34's shortest air spring is 110mm - but I think that will be a good middle ground that still allows for good descending capabilities.

Joh, those Topeak mounts are rad!!

I have my saddle bag attached at the BB (lower centre of gravity and whatnot). Will have to rearrange storage logistics to fit in a bottle, but seems like a must. Oh wait... I've just noticed the kink in my seat tube will probably interfere. Definitely not a fan of having a bottle under the down tube either...

Thanks for the indirect guidance :P

post-46099-0-17236900-1526205153_thumb.jpg

Edited by DirtyDan

Some detailed PITCHAS of this mount please.... my HT frame has no water bottle bosses, so this could be the answer I am looking for.

Some detailed PITCHAS of this mount please.... my HT frame has no water bottle bosses, so this could be the answer I am looking for.

Took a while, but here is a close up. A kit comes with 2 straps, I used 3 straps total just for extra security. I use profile design cages on the hardtail, the only cage that holds a bottle ona hardtail in my experience.

post-82251-0-47805900-1526595794_thumb.jpg