Fenix 3 reliability and issues

Messier87

I am in need of a new heart rate monitor for cycling and running and am contemplating the Garmin Fenix 3. There are however many unhappy complaints about the unit freezing, losing Ant+ / Bluetooth accessory connections and inaccurate GPS measured distances to just name a few.

I understand the firmware updates will address some problems, but how much has the problems been eliminated thus far?

The last thing I want is a unit that irritates me because I spent a fortune, but the experience is not so smooth. And if features doesn't work or gives trouble mid ride/run - NOT EVEN AN OPTION. Then I spend less on a unit that only do basics - well.

I would appreciate if those of you that have spend some time with the Fenix 3 could shed some light on their experiences and how firmware versions has helped or not helped.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the Fenix 3 recently and only problem was the GPS distances but I think I've fixed that as the watch was set to a workout each time I ran.  Not sure if this setting was default or myfault!  Anyway, this auto paused the data recording (incl distance) to check for my recovery (I think).  I have changed/removed the workout and no problems since.

I have had mine since May and I am very happy with it.

It has never frozen while doing a ride or a run, never lost the heart sensor either.  

I created a route using Garmin Connect, transferred it to my watch and once complete the distance between the route on GC and my Fenix was a few meters out

Only issue I had is when Garmin released a dodgy update which made me do a hard reset to fix (lost some history), I have now learnt not to accept the updates as they become available. 

No issues with my Fenix3 at all. I've done multiple firmware updates, all seem to have been fine. 

I lie.... one issue with a 3rd party app, but I can't then blame the Fenix can I?

This is my first week with the fenix 3 and I'm enjoying it so far. Fortunate to jump straight to version 4.70 of the software. Seems rock solid.

Tested a short (5 km) road run with the fenix 3 and my Forerunner 210 and the results (distance) were within a few point zero 1 meters of each other.

Also tried a short 3.6 km course on my road and mountain bikes with the fenix 3 on my wrist and an Edge 500 on my bikes. The results were also incredibly close in terms of distances measured, etc.

I'm keen to see how it performs off road (trail run) this weekend, as that seems to be where people have had issues in the past (but with previous versions of the software).

As a day-to-day (smart)watch, it's also fantastic.

Also been using mine for a week now. Works great and I have no complaints!

Coming of a bryton 50 (which I lost at Dullstroom) and the Fenix does everything the same and better. :clap:

Thanks for the feedback!

It sounds like it really was only the early adopters that had trouble and that was also what I was expecting. Most of the complaints date to April/May. I just could not find someone that came back and could set the record straight again on those forums.Always the unhappy customers that are the vocal ones. No need to make a noise if it goes well, I guess.

I had a look at a unit this afternoon and the size concerns I had also seemed to be a non-issue. It is big, but not to the point where it is a problem.

Hey ....sorry for the highjack but where would i get the best prices on a fenix in jhb or online ive been reding reviews online for 2 weeks and my polar definitely need an upgrade

The best I could find:

Online - EVOBikes.co.za or Easybike.co.za (There are cheaper options via bid or buy, but I'm not comfortable there.)

Physical shops had prices a little higher. They have other advantages though..

The best I could find:

Online - EVOBikes.co.za or Easybike.co.za (There are cheaper options via bid or buy, but I'm not comfortable there.)

Physical shops had prices a little higher. They have other advantages though..

i bought mine from easygis, had a 'issue' with watch face (nothing serious), but as soon as i reported it to them a new watch arrived the very next day. had some good service from evobikes on other products as well.

i bought mine from easygis, had a 'issue' with watch face (nothing serious), but as soon as i reported it to them a new watch arrived the very next day. had some good service from evobikes on other products as well.

I paid easygis for 2 devices on 10 September - still waiting for delivery.... many many excuses so far...

I've had my Fenix 3 since July and no issues whatsoever. 

I love it so much that I actually never take it off. My other watches just stay in the drawer now. 

Sorry to hear that V12man. You won't be sorry when they arrive, hopefully sooner than later.

I've had my Fenix 3 since July and no issues whatsoever. 

I love it so much that I actually never take it off. My other watches just stay in the drawer now. 

Sorry to hear that V12man. You won't be sorry when they arrive, hopefully sooner than later.

Well - technically  they are not Fenix's - although they look pretty much identical to me... just a few added features

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like it really was only the early adopters that had trouble and that was also what I was expecting. Most of the complaints date to April/May. I just could not find someone that came back and could set the record straight again on those forums.Always the unhappy customers that are the vocal ones. No need to make a noise if it goes well, I guess. I had a look at a unit this afternoon and the size concerns I had also seemed to be a non-issue. It is big, but not to the point where it is a problem.

Had mine since May with no issues whatsoever. Even though its big its much more comfortable than my V800 to wear as I wear it all day.