Saddle preferences?

eccc whippet

• MTB - Brooks B17 narrow
  • CX - Brooks B17 Special
  • Road - San Marco Rolls

New is not always better. There's a reason why the old-timer pros used to take their saddles from team to team.

Then again I had an incredibly comfortable Selle Italia carbon saddle years ago with zero padding, so who really knows :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardtail 650b

SDG

Not too bad

Hardtail 26"

WTB Volt

Awesome

Dualie 26"

WTB Silverado

Even better

26" Commuter 

WTB Silverado

See above

Roadbike

WTB Volt

Also awesome

WTB for me anyday

Edited by SilverRider

Hardtail 650b

SDG

Not too bad

Hardtail 26"

WTB Volt

Awesome

Dualie 26"

WTB Silverado

Even better

26" Commuter 

WTB Silverado

See above

Roadbike

WTB Volt

Also awesome

WTB for me anyday

Only ever heard good things about WTB saddles, not the easiest to get hold of locally though.

MTB
Specialized Henge 
Like it, Comfortable - but if I haven't ridden for a while it takes some getting used to again

Road
Specialized Romin Evo Comp
Like it, Comfortable on long rides

In both cases the width of the saddle made the biggest difference - both my saddles are 155mm - before this I went through numerous saddles (all 145mm and narrower) that was comfortable for 2 hours rides but not anything longer.  One of these narrower saddles was supplied during a fitment that just tested for flexibility and not for sit bone width.

Edited by Fr0st

All my bikes have the Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow on them. XC version for the mountain bikes, and standard version for the road bike. Its the only saddle I'll ride.

Fully Agree

Bike - Road

Type - Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow

Like - Yes, have tried a few and never felt a better.  Will stick to them until they are no more!!!

Mtb: Fiziik Gobi

Road: Fiziik Arione or the Spez Phenom

It's a pretty painful (and expensive) road to finding the right saddle... good luck

PS: Even the "right" saddle is likely to hurt a bit the first few times  ;)

just finished with the bike setup...spent a few bob and got it done by someone recommended by few mates...found the seat post was a little too low (30 mm) and the saddle was way too far forward...handle bars are too narrow...gona give the romin evo a bash for a week or 2 and see if it feels better...finding the problem with the bib was a huge bonus...because that rubbing was happening on all the bike...no matter which seat...at least now i know how to solve that issue.

if the romin doesnt work then i am gona look for a seat similar to the giant contact upright without a cut out...a flatter seat...and go through all the responses here and see which seat is liked by the majority.

Bike: MTB Hard Tail

Bontrager Inform RL

Like: Yes

Tried many saddles and find this one the most comfy (for my bum).

Must add I have the 154mm width which made a huge difference.

Only ever heard good things about WTB saddles, not the easiest to get hold of locally though.

That is a sad truth unfortunately  :(

and go through all the responses here and see which seat is liked by the majority.

I'm afraid that this approach is largely futile...

Saddles, grips, shoes and helmets are all like the bike setup you've just gone through. What works for one person doesn't for the next. You need to find what works for you.

I for example love the feel of the Tundra 2, but hate the Gobi. Why? Because my body proportions are slightly different to the guy who prefers them the other way round. Same with Specialized helmets. The Prevail hurts the top of my head, but the Ambush fits like a glove, so does the Giro Xar I'm currently riding with. It's all personal...

Not that simple unless you have a treasure chest hidden full gold and diamonds under your bed...in Durban nobody lets you test stuff...you want to spend 50 k on a bicycle...you get to ride it 100m up the road if you lucky...some shops won't even let you test unless you look like you can afford the bike...a simple thing like saddle....you don't even get the look...you just get a simple reply...sorry we don't do saddle testing.

There is only one place you can get a saddle to test and that is at bike fit in Balito...if you live in hillcrest is long way to drive to collect and drop off a saddle.

MTB

Sele itallia SLR kit carbono

Love it. Hard but comfortable, super light (125g), been riding it on mtb for about 5 or 6 years both hard tail and dual sus, so its plenty strong enough.

Plus 1 for the Slr. Brilliant saddle.