[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

1 month to go and I have sinus infection again. Seems like every year this time my body tries to foil my plans for a decent time.

Been off my bike for 3 weeks now after some good training, Had a bad case of food poisoning and my sinuses didnt help much either, this weekend will be my 1st week back on my bike, i  hope i get enough training in before race day.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read through 1,249 letters last year to select 200 of the best. Stories ranged from well motivated essays to a complete blank in motivation. So actually not 1,249 but about 900 (the blanks were ignored).

I do agree. Must be terrible having to read all those motivations ..

And Let me say Thank you for choosing ours last year  ..... and to whoever is in charge this year .. THANK YOU.

Next year i will not be applying so that others can also experience the joy of riding with the safe cycling group .. nice bunch last year ...

oh.. and you included my sons motivation of last year in your snippet ...  :thumbup: ...

I saw the organisers did a route recce this morning, they breezed over the very small road in Fish Hoek...

Also seems the whole "no cyclists" on Chappies thing was an over keen sign maker :P

That section between Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek is not great in the dark when there is traffic, but should be fine on the day (just stay away from the LHS of the road).

They will resume road works again after The Argust/CTCT.

And I was wondering if or when Chappies would be official open to cyclists. Would it affect the route, or would the 'ban' be miraculously lifted for a day?

As it is, there are hundreds of runners and cyclists over it every weekend - it sometimes looks like there is an official event!

The road resurfacing just before Bakoven will be finished soon, and the resulting smooth surface will be so welcome!

Edited by splat

Its going to be safe, but have a drive/cycle/walk though there before the race and check out the road, I know which side of the road I am going to be going through there :P (Not near the massive step in the tar)

Cool, thanks. I am staying in Fish Hoek so will definitely check it out.

That section between Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek is not great in the dark when there is traffic, but should be fine on the day (just stay away from the LHS of the road).

They will resume road works again after The Argust/CTCT.

And I was wondering if or when Chappies would be official open to cyclists. Would it affect the route, or would the 'ban' be miraculously lifted for a day?

As it is, there are hundreds of runners and cyclists over it every weekend - it sometimes looks like there is an official event!

The road resurfacing just before Bakoven will be finished soon, and the resulting smooth surface will be so welcome!

On Twitter the powers that be have been advising people that going over chappies is not the end of the world.

So it appears the Masses are gathering for the Fun Ride World Champs.

Riders are out in force, packing into tightly knit random formations they call peletons, and pissing off motorists to no end.

Not that I am against pissing off a motorist especially a deserving one but the vast majority tend to be decent folk who will happily provide the necessary courtesy and space if you use your hand signals appropriately (not the middle finger salute)....

Also the power trainers are out in force. These are easily spotted.

typically they never look where they aregoing and will always be found on your rear wheel, similar to dog ****.

Please refrain from forming massive packs on narrow road sections. All you will do is force motorists to to force cyclists coming in the opposite direction to take avoiding action by diving over a fence or wall. On Chappies this would result in a visit to a long drop......

And no, wearing similar kit to the 15 others fools around doesn't make it ok. Clear the road for motorists to pass please/dankie/shukhran.

When testing your latest concoction of SAIDS busting mutie, please refrain from dropping the evidence all over Froggies pond, Smitswinkel and Camps Bay. Not only is it very difficult to retrieve from the silicon impounds of the super models catching rays from Sol, but one day soon, a large fish will leave the ocean and walk on land, wreaking havoc and destruction. Your Mutie will have been  direct cause of said mut(ill)ation.

This is also the season for the oldest predator in cycling to emerge. Deep within the bowles of their workshop, bikes have be readied for this very moment. They hide under bridges and around dark corners, Silently waiting for their prey to wander and then they pounce.

Still confused, haven't guessed it yet. This folks is the season of the WheelSucker.

This shameless predator latches onto the hard working unsuspecting loners who feel that no group is the same space as they are in terms of training. The rest are either training wrong or on EPO. The Wheelsucker avoids all this drama a simly attaches themselves to your wheel, letting you do all the work, while post the glory to Strava for accolades and Vitality points.

Then let us also spare a thought for those who are most passionate about cycling, the Argus, Campagnolo and all things technical, but never ride. The armchair cyclist. Every year they will join in discussions on the Argus, offer up the most eloquent training advice, even advising which wheels are best down to the 5th decimal in Coefficient of Drag. They will scour the internet for data on where and how to save those precious 5W lost in the error of your power meter. But on race day, they will tell you, "next year is my year".......followed by the excuse. If they just rode,all could be forgiven but alas.

ladies, don't wear those shorts two sizes to small to hide those dimples. Dimples are aerodynamic aids. Just ask your hubby why his golf balls has dimples.

Skinny guys, why wear those bibs so the legs fit like baggies. Wear baggies goddamit!

Yes folks this is Fun Ride Worlds Champs Season and everything goes, even Purple yellow and orange Sidi's from the 90's bibs shorts so short they could double as a strapped up pantie.

Just get out and ride. Embrace everyone for we are all unique and silly in our own peculiar way

Hallo,

I just spent 45min on capetowncycletour.com unsuccessfully trying to find out what my seeding index is (cause I want to do a double). Can some please point me to where I can see this?

Thanks!

S.

Hallo,

I just spent 45min on capetowncycletour.com unsuccessfully trying to find out what my seeding index is (cause I want to do a double). Can some please point me to where I can see this?

Thanks!

S.

The racetec website. Go find your profile and you should see your seeding index.

Hi. Can someone please tell me where I can find a map and a route profile for the cycle tour. My first time entering and I'd like to know how to pace myself for the hills.

Thanx

Hi. Can someone please tell me where I can find a map and a route profile for the cycle tour. My first time entering and I'd like to know how to pace myself for the hills.

Thanx

On the CTCT website, all the info you need is there.

Thanx

A couple of years ago Big Mazarella posted a breakdown with pics and distances.My breakdown

Muizeberg station +/- 28km

Cape Point +/- 50km

Noordhoek nursery +/- 75km

After that it is down hill to the finish(figuratively speaking)