[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode with my wife from 4D and we REALLY enjoyed it. It was my 16th and her 9th 'Argus'.

It's the 1st time in about 12 years that I haven't been chasing a PB or sub 3. It was great to ride with no pressure and really soak up the vibe and chat to fellow riders and admire the scenery (Cape Town was showing off a bit). I wanted to stop for a beer, but my wife wanted to press on.

We finished after together with a time of 5:10 smiling from ear to ear, but pretty keen to get off our saddles...

I didn't hear a single swear word and no one shouted 'Hold Your Line!', which was great.

There were a lot of discarded tubes and wrappers in the road, which wasn't so great.

We saw a few mechanicals quite early on in the ride, and one very random wipe out in the 1st few km, but after that it was incident free.

We done to everyone who rode and the massive team that puts the event together. I hope that everyone who did crash heals up quickly.

Happy Monday!

Here begineth the back-markers' reports:

Slowest time for me this year but one of the most enjoyable rides ever. 7h30 of riding including commuting from the 'burbs.

Great weather, good company (on the whole), one packet biltong, plenty stops, including a long moment at the top of Chappies to connect with the planet.

By all rights I shouldn't have been riding at all this year. Damaged a disk in my neck early December and X-rays showed a long-term issue that's been building. Will need to be dealt with at some point. So, no riding until a month ago, no long rides at all, and only one 40km ride on the roadie last weekend.

Thought to give the whole thing a miss but my trip down South is also to see family. So I packed the bike and got on the bus.

Saturday morning I wake up with a voice that says 100 Camels a day. Sunday is not much better but, no aches. I can breathe, so I plan to do a slow one.

Besides the M3 motorcade which I just can't resist, Kept the rev counter low: going over the limit was met with enforced pit-stops, go-slows and chats in the bunch.

I love this ride!

Each year it's different, each time brings a whole new perspective on people, bikes and life on this beautiful planet. There's so much going on around this ride, it's incredible: from the organization to the different ways different communities come out to support it and the chatting, chirping and encouragement in the bunches.

For each one of us riding, I wonder how many people are involved in making the CTCT happen...

There's a saying that goes something like, the man who is tired of London is tired of life.

I'd say the same of the Cycle Tour.

Here's to the next one - may each of us, especially the guys who couldn't make it this year, who broke down or crashed out, be able to give it another go next year.

There's a saying that goes something like, the man who is tired of London is tired of life.

I'd say the same of the Cycle Tour.

Here's to the next one - may each of us, especially the guys who couldn't make it this year, who broke down or crashed out, be able to give it another go next year.

that sums it up perfectly for me.

I didn't hear a single swear word and no one shouted 'Hold Your Line!', which was great.

Happy Monday!

ja me too from the group ahead of you. clearly people more chilled out at the middle end.

I must say, the idea of your name on your number is brilliant.  It is so nice to hear "Ek kom gou regs verby, Henry", in stead of "Hou links", or "Passing on the right" somewhere from your rear, and you're are not sure who that is addressed to.  Makes the riding so much more civilised.

Edited by Moridin

1B for me....finished in 2h 49m and 32sec and 117th overall! COnsidering we beat the A group by 3 minutes, pace was nice and hard starting at Smits.

Caught elite ladies about 2km in and they chilled in our group and got taken to the line by us.

Overall...great day! Didnt see any crashes as I mainly sat in front of bunch so I am happy.

My time was about what I expected it to be, but I suffered less than anticipated.  :whistling:

Started 2D, took it slow to just before Hospital bend, and then started pushing a bit more. Rode well within my limits, as it has been months since I last did a 100km+ ride.

Agree with some of the posters here, this was a nerve wracking time on the bike, what with plonkers not being able to hold a line or a steady pace. Had the misfortune to get "stuck" with a rider that was all over the place, he could not hold a line or a steady pace even if he tried.

Try as I may, I just could not get rid of this guy, I ride on the left of the bunch, he is there. I then work myself to the right of the bunch, he is there, I speed up to the front, sure as %$#$@ the next thing he comes past me to push infront and continue weaving all over the place.

I later tapped him on the shoulder, asked him to take a good look at me so that he can remember me, and then stay away from me. Last I saw him was on Smits when we came to a screeching halt and the bunch split. Worse of all, he was no rookie, doing his 26th Argus according to his race number.  :cursing:

After this split I sat up after a guy went into the back of me, had a bite to eat and just continued on my own pace. Whenever I ended up in a bunch and things got hairy, I just sat up and let them go. I have a few flat spots on my rear tire now, after a good couple of emergency braking and swerving to miss other riders.

At the foot of little Chappies I broke a spoke on my rear wheel (not sure if this was because of the oke rear ending me) and could not go into my granny at all as the spoke was cling-clinging like mad and I worried that I might end up with a derailer in the spokes. Stopped, had a look and decided to push on. Did Chappies and Suikerbossie in the 23t at the back.

I was so tense from stressing about the other riders around me, my neck, shoulders and back was so sore when I finished, it was almost in spasms.

But in the end I finished No. 14 off in a decent time (for me anyhow).

Sorry to hear about the mishaps other guys had, hope you heal up well, and that the bikes gets fixed without problems.

Raced with A1 with Pure Savage, I actually wasnt going to race as I have another MTB ride around WC starting next Sunday. I was worried about crashing.

The pace was very chilled, a few B and C guys beat our time.

Sprinted for the group win to take A and sub vets. Racetec have me listed as finishing mid pack though...

This was my second 'Full' Argus and first on my new road bike that I bought last year after ploughing several years worth of bonuses into my mountain bike. Joined up with with a couple of racing snakes from work for training rides since December and it really made such a difference.

Started in 3D and ended up doing 03:26 - surprised myself a little as I was originally aiming for sub 4. 

I was reminded while we were out on the road what a special day this is and how much of a good vibe it is. All in all a fantastic day and thank you to all the organizers and participants - with all the doom and gloom,about South Africa and our economy it's great to see events like the Argus still prospering!

did my first full argus. was on track for a sub 4. cramped so bad after chappies that I had to walk on the down hills. 4.26. not what I wanted but still happy.

saw a man lying at the top of suikerbossie with the emergency guys doing cpr on him. not a nice site. hope he is fine.

will be back next year for more.

Had a tough day in the saddle, but it was to be expected given an injury I'm carrying and only been on the bike three times this year.

But I wouldn't miss this world-class event for the world.

My only small gripe would be the loading procedure. There must be a smarter way to prevent a few thousand cyclists criss crossing each other to get into their shutes.   

That has got to be the funniest and most incredible thing I have seen in a long time.. damn, ostriches have stamina

max speed of 45 mph or around 70kph..that be one seriously fast angrybird. That vid was lank funny though, couldn't help giggling along with the camera man.