Bike Theft: This is ridiculous

Guest notmyname

Next time you drive around your suburb checkout who is washing his car with the garage door open .Look inside and you will see the bikes in the garage.That is inviting trouble! Keep the bikes in the house.My family and friends  think I am nuts.Who cares!

snap I keep mine in house :thumbup:

and if I was crooked minded id have a bunch of nice bikes and stuff off my neighbours who just leave their garage open and wander away :eek:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any hubber subscribed to Tracetec's wireless device?

For R75.00 p/m, you get live tracking of the device (& recovery), on a bike / trailer / motorbike / etc. Apparently, its self powered, very small, and should last 3-5years, with a recharge.....

Sounds too good to be true...

I tried getting one installed, but installer wouldn't let me choose where I wanted to have it glued, so I politely declined. He wanted to glue it to the underside of the saddle to help with reception. It was a fair point, but I would have preferred to glue it into the seatpost or the fork steerer. The frame could be an issue, in case of a warranty claim down the line.

With enough interest from the Bikehub, we could possibly get a numbers discount, and try out this tech.... I would install it on 2 bikes right pronto.

Ideas / pros / cons?

I think many bikes are stolen in SA but not reported on. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle of going in to a SAPS station (except if your bike is worth a lot of course). I also suspect many of these stolen bikes are either kept for the thief himself or sold in the townships for a few hundred bucks. I've seen one or two gardeners in overalls riding bikes I really don't believe they could ever afford.. 

The idea of a tracker in/on your bike sounds great. But would the police really be interested in retrieving a bicycle? 

Have any hubber subscribed to Tracetec's wireless device?

For R75.00 p/m, you get live tracking of the device (& recovery), on a bike / trailer / motorbike / etc. Apparently, its self powered, very small, and should last 3-5years, with a recharge.....

Sounds too good to be true...

I tried getting one installed, but installer wouldn't let me choose where I wanted to have it glued, so I politely declined. He wanted to glue it to the underside of the saddle to help with reception. It was a fair point, but I would have preferred to glue it into the seatpost or the fork steerer. The frame could be an issue, in case of a warranty claim down the line.

With enough interest from the Bikehub, we could possibly get a numbers discount, and try out this tech.... I would install it on 2 bikes right pronto.

Ideas / pros / cons?

The Tracetec device is a radio frequency transmitter.

The Tracetec recovery device is not a GPS / GSM location device.

Tracetec works via a transmitter that continually emits its own unique identity signal that is picked up by our beacons (when one is close enough ) situated countrywide and transmitted to our control centre and database that contains the details of the asset and owner  -------- from tracetecs website

picture this : two blokes with a metal hoop stuck out the window of a bakkie driving around mamelodi saying im sure its around here somewhere

punchline :  Tracetec also offers a fleet management system that supplies live GPS locations of your vehicle. For more information contact us or go to our TracetecFleet website

(from a slightly larger more expensive and more conventional gps car tracker device)

these things only work if the unit is in range of a receiver and the object is to big to hide under a bush (like a truck) its the same technology as triangulation radio collars on rhinos etc which work well to find things as big and obvious as trucks and rhinos :eek:

but I think ill wait a while :whistling:

Edited by velomonatiCT

That's your thief right there...the "I bought it from someone else " is a BS excuse ....

Disagree. Plenty of Hubbers are selling things they bought from others, so ... your point IMHO is a BS argument.

Disagree. Plenty of Hubbers are selling things they bought from others, so ... your point IMHO is a BS argument.

as someone who worked in law enforcement etc my whole career and have heard it thousands of times , you might keep in mind that the " I bought it from someone else already "is the standard excuse for every single idiot thief who gets nicked on the planet with stolen goods in his hands

and while there are exceptions as you pointed out

its still a pretty good point /argument actually :ph34r:

There will be an exception to every rule....however. .if the dude has a room full of bikes and gets caught selling a stolen one..chances are those bikes are stolen as well...and he is probably a buyer of stolen bikes and other goods as well....I would like to know the name of that guy...and go and visit him....????

I accept your arguments, but how can you say there are exceptions and then start off such a discussion with 'That's your thief right there...the "I bought it from someone else " is a BS excuse ...'.

If you said check out the "I bought it from someone else " ... story first before buying, then point taken.

I accept your arguments, but how can you say there are exceptions and then start off such a discussion with 'That's your thief right there...the "I bought it from someone else " is a BS excuse ...'.

If you said check out the "I bought it from someone else " ... story first before buying, then point taken.

I called it a BS excuse 'cos he was caught with stolen goods....chances are he bought the bike at a bargain price ..and should have known it was stolen....also probably has a rep as a go to guy with stolen bikes....????

I have said it for years! the parts are being sold right here on BikeHub, just today I have picked up a gruppo for sale, in separate ads but you can kinda see its come off the same bike - either new or slightly used and this particular advertiser has other bikes and parts listed for sale so this leads me to think one of two things:

1: he is a legit person buying and selling on behalf of his friends/clients

or

2: This is all stolen goods that he is moving under the pretense of being an avid cyclist with too much stuff (n+1) - please don't see this as an accusation of any form as I would hope that he is point 1.

But seriously guys its time to wake up and pay attention - this is why the thieves have an incentive to steal because everyone looks for a deal and who will not ask questions when offered one (a deal)....you are supporting the crooks...I don't buy off classifieds as more often than not I would rather buy new and get some form of warranty or if I can't afford the latest and greatest I simply don't have it...the new 11speed XTR is not gonna make me go any faster so why buy it. That is MHO. 

Seriously, SERIOUSLY thinking of trading my a4 in for one of these. Ticks all the boxes, and I'm tired of breaking the bike down every time I want to carry it. With this, at least it can stay put all the time. http://www.cars.co.za/carimages_gen/Volkswagen-Caddy/Volkswagen-Caddy-2.0TDI-Maxi-panel-van_VolkCadd1fvl1l.jpg

Seriously, SERIOUSLY thinking of trading my a4 in for one of these. Ticks all the boxes, and I'm tired of breaking the bike down every time I want to carry it. With this, at least it can stay put all the time. http://www.cars.co.za/carimages_gen/Volkswagen-Caddy/Volkswagen-Caddy-2.0TDI-Maxi-panel-van_VolkCadd1fvl1l.jpg

Buddy of mine had the touran, while it was expnsive for parts etc. He could fit I think about 4 bikes in the back

Buddy of mine had the touran, while it was expnsive for parts etc. He could fit I think about 4 bikes in the back

yeah. I'm thinking of the standard SD (non turbo) diesel variant. Not sure if that comes in the Maxi, but it's worth a look. Touran is also a good option. Wheels on or off?

yeah. I'm thinking of the standard SD (non turbo) diesel variant. Not sure if that comes in the Maxi, but it's worth a look. Touran is also a good option. Wheels on or off?

I think he removed the front wheel for multiple bikes but for one it fitted. Then again he rode a small frame

I think he removed the front wheel for multiple bikes but for one it fitted. Then again he rode a small frame

with the caddy it'd be a case of just slotting the bike in and closing the door. No fiddling with seats or trying to find a place to store them if / when I've taken them out. 

Leaning more and more towards a caddy all the time. It's only me and the lightie that ever go in the car, unless I go with a mate or 2 to the trails. In that case, fit an extra seat in the back (there are mountings for one) and do that. 

The a3 is the "family" car... 

I'm convincing myself more and more...