Review: Wahoo KICKR indoor bike trainer

Iwan Kemp

Beyond 2000 was a documentary TV Show that aired from 1985 to 1999 and featured technological innovations that were meant to improve our lives and be widely available to the mass market soon after the year 2000. Most inventions and ideas were outstanding and, for the time it was aired, quite out there. Flying cars, jetpacks as daily transport - next level stuff.

Click here to view the article

The Tacx Bushido costs R11,450, a much cheaper entry to virtual training.

I dont have experience with either, but somehow the static cassette on the Kickr looks like a blocker for those that want to interchange bikes, where on the tacx you keep your rear wheel on.

What is also arguable is how real the power delivery is on the Kickr having removed the rotating mass of the rim and tire etc probably compensated on the devices algorithm but never true to the wheel you actually ride with. I would prefer to train on my exact setup.

The RFLKT+ is an iphone battery killer, as it still relies on the phone to be the brain for the collation of data, be careful when using on long rides.

I dont have experience with either, but somehow the static cassette on the Kickr looks like a blocker for those that want to interchange bikes, where on the tacx you keep your rear wheel on.

What is also arguable is how real the power delivery is on the Kickr having removed the rotating mass of the rim and tire etc probably compensated on the devices algorithm but never true to the wheel you actually ride with. I would prefer to train on my exact setup.

The RFLKT+ is an iphone battery killer, as it still relies on the phone to be the brain for the collation of data, be careful when using on long rides.

Hi Kom, 

To answer you on some of your comments. 

- The electromagnetic flywheel on the KICKR solves the "rotating mass" issue that you're referring to. The weight on the flywheel is made to simulate this very accurately. 

Your setup on the KICKR is more natural than most trainers where you require a block to compensate for height. When setting up your KICKR you can choose your frame size. 

- The RFLKT+ battery in the unit lasts up to two years due to the fact that it uses Bluetooth LE. This has the same effect on your phone and hardly uses any power. When using apps like Strava, the RFLKT+ simply reflects the data from the application.

The power hungry part is you phone using GPS, but with your phone's home screen "locked" your phone should outlive you on a ride. 

Cheers!

Some thoughts on your comments

Not apples with apples

I dont have experience with either...

Maybe try them both first

but somehow the static cassette on the Kickr looks like a blocker for those that want to interchange bikes, where on the tacx you keep your rear wheel on.

I don't know anyone who uses different bikes on their trainer unless one is in for repairs. Can't see any use or benefit in swapping bikes out.

TO ME it's a huge benfit to have 1) a quiet trainer and 2) not waste your tire away. So no need for an extra training wheel, cassette and tire which only add cost and get in the way when not in use. Factor those in and you're a lot closer to the KICKR's asking price.

Don't know of any power meter that measures power on the tire or outside of the wheel. The KICKR's flywheel compensates for the rotating mass effect.

I used other power meters on the trainer and as the review says I found the KICKR to be accurate and, more importantly (to me), consistent. Unless you're training for bragging rights I feel it's more important to have a baseline to work from and improve from there. 

Wasn't an issue on any of the devices used. No more than usual using my phone as my training GPS using Endomondo or Today's Plan. Just lock your phone's screen when using the RFLKT+.

All power meters take rolling resistance into account. The Kickr simulates the rolling resistance.

Tacx models takes into account the friction of the tyre at the drum hence the constant need to calibrate these at every opportunity.

When using an IDT its never going to give you exactly the same numbers as if you were on the road. Even then your PM is not going to give you exactly the same readings on two rides on the same route on different days. Since the Kickr strips out the tyre drum interface it is always going to be more consistent than any PM that includes  tyre to surface friction in the direct measurement

Add Zwift to the supported apps.

As far as I know the tacx vortex smart is the cheapest option for a smart trainer. Again not apples with apples.

Banged out a 3h40 ride on my kickr last Sunday on Zwift. Never managed a ride longer than 40 mins on my "Jet Black" also I can hear the TV.

Great thing about these smart trainers is you can put them in erg mode and watch 2 episodes of your favourite series for an "easy", convenient, and really importantly safe 100TSS session without really noticing that you're putting the hours in.

Got to agree, the Kickr is brilliant and has done as much as anything else to get me riding again on a regular basis - no two rides have to be the same, I have ridden 60Km+ on it, paired with a fan, dstv and the ipad app from cycleops virtual training it just works (so much so that I am trying to find a 2nd hand one for the other rider in the family)

Have used mine during winter and now with the very hot weather in Gauteng i can ride alp dheuz on my cool balcony and listen to music at the same time .Rode a 2hour french col on kinomap between 8 and 10pm last night .I find it great to train hard using the powermeter to keep wattage constant .I use an ipad and a Galaxy 5 with wahoo fitness and kinomap

Been using my kickr for over a year. It's awsome but don't kid yourself out it being entertaining. Effective yes, entertaining no.

You seem to be the exception. I live on table mountain, i go straight from my garage onto the trail with no tar between, convenience. I could not imagine, even when raining in the middle of winter, choosing a IDT over a morning ride up TM. I feel sorry for people who rely on bike carriers to enjoy the sport, perhaps the same for you leading to your comment?

Look, if you only use wahoo fitness app (in whatever mode) and just ride its not going to be entertaining. The various different apps make it entertaining (imo).

It's not as fun as riding on a mountain. It's not at fun as riding in a group on the road. But I think the comparison here is not that.... the comparison is that it is infinitely more entertaining than a standard trainer.

Another minor con is using a separate cassette to the 1 on your bike but the same chain. If wear is not even between bike and trainer then it will wear out the entire drivetrain quicker.