Stolen: Santa Cruz Bronson 2015 (Cape Town)

Will I Am

Stolen: Santa Cruz Bronson 2015
When: 5 October 2015
Where: Cape Town, Western Cape

Parked my grey Jeep Wrangler in the Doctors Parking area at Cape Town Medi Clinic in Hof Street, Gardens just after 07h30 yesterday. I work there on a Monday in theatre (anaesthetist) and only got to my car around 15h00. My bike had been forcibly removed from the Thule bike rack despite 2 heavy duty cable combination locks, with part of the bike rack dismantled.

I have circulated a picture to various 2nd hand bike shops and Cash Crusaders in the Cape Town area.

Amazingly, the security guards saw nothing and the CCTV footage is useless (does not cover the doctors parking area).

Get further details about the incident in the Stolen Bikes section

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry bud,

Admin can we check stats on bikes stolen

Cape Town must be climbing to number 1 if it's not there already

I pulled some stats for a newspaper article late last month. These are as at 22 September 2015:

Reported stolen bikes in 2015 to date: 205

In the Western Cape: 124 (60.5%)

Compared to 25.4% in Gauteng and 7.3% in KZN over the same period. 

Considering that 48% of our overall site visitors come from Gauteng and only 35% from Western Cape the numbers suggest a definite spike in the Western Cape. 

Sadly that's what I thought, I think over the last 2 years it's spiked, the stats show a pattern, but I doubt IT shows the actual full picture

BE SAFE OUT THERE BOYS AND GIRLS

Sadly that's what I thought, I think over the last 2 years it's spiked, the stats show a pattern, but I doubt IT shows the actual full picture

BE SAFE OUT THERE BOYS AND GIRLS

It seems that the incidence of redistribution off Thule racks is also on the increase.

My mate had his Thule stolen with the bikes.Don't forget to lock the rack as well

My locked Thule rack was stolen off the back of my car, luckily no bikes attached, but even locked onto the car the racks are vulnerable.

Not to hijack the thread, but how does one actually prove to an insurer that the bike was locked on the rack and the rack was locked?

I'm asking because at the moment I don't leave the bike locked to the carrier out of fear that my insurance will deny my claim should something happen.  I just keep the bike with me at all times, which is crap because the policy does cover such theft when locked properly.  But, insurance companies.

Not to hijack the thread, but how does one actually prove to an insurer that the bike was locked on the rack and the rack was locked?

I'm asking because at the moment I don't leave the bike locked to the carrier out of fear that my insurance will deny my claim should something happen.  I just keep the bike with me at all times, which is crap because the policy does cover such theft when locked properly.  But, insurance companies.

I have been through the process of claiming for it, I think a lot of it has to do with luck to be honest, and your attitude and the investigator assigned to your case

Firstly they want your cell phone records, and who ever was with you(verify location) tracking your cell phone and calls made

Then they want possible CCTV of where your vehicle was standing last locked, or possibly where there was a pic of it locked prior to it getting knicked

Bank statements to make sure your funds are not indicating that you need cash

Inspection of the rack to check there is force able damage done

Quotes to replace

And a interview thar will make you feel guilty even if you have all of the above in order including the CCTV FOOTAGE

Then if they think you are not being honest I know a hubber who was submitted to a polygraph

Actually to answer your original question I found out during the process I had lots of luck involved in getting paid out

I personally would not leave it locked to my car again even if I could see the bike, I would break the bike down and carry it with me, that's how lucky I think I was

Also what most people do not know, unless their bike is sold by the insurers replacement shop, you not getting back what you claimed for

At the time cycle lab four ways were my insurers shop of choice, so walk in to the shop and see what's the closest make or model they have to your weapon you are insuring and see if you going to be happy, ;)

So if you got a expensive special once off YOU NOT GOING TO GET THAT REPLACED with the same unless it's in their shop, and as discussed many times before even color is not your choice,

I suppose the real moral of all this is ... leave your bike at home unless you are actually going out to ride on it and don't leave it on your bike rack if you have to stop somewhere other than to take it off to ride on it :ph34r:

especially in the western cape :oops:

Edited by velomonatiCT