Review: Darkhorse DH29 Carbon Mountain Bike Wheels

Matt

If you’re anything like me the idea of riding carbon mountain bike wheels is an unsettled one. Carbon is, well, carbon. It just seems cooler, faster and better. It’s alluring. On the other hand the I worry that it won't be as sturdy or reliable. Not to mention the cost of a decent set of carbon wheels is usually pretty prohibitive to begin with.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Testing a light carbon wheelset ( 1460gr) using pretty heavy tyres ( over 750gr per tyre) will not give you the best feel for this wheelset.

Horses for courses!

Maxxis Ikon ( 585gr) rear and Rocket Ron ( 605gr) front for this XC application, I would suggest.

Testing a light carbon wheelset ( 1460gr) using pretty heavy tyres ( over 750gr per tyre) will not give you the best feel for this wheelset.

Horses for courses!

Maxxis Ikon ( 585gr) rear and Rocket Ron ( 605gr) front for this XC application, I would suggest.

I prefer to run heavier, thicker tyres generally on any rim choice. If I were an XC race snake I'd certainly look at something lighter, but considering I have been running the same tyre on my everyday Crests it was a far better way to compare the feel without the influence of a difference tyre choice. 

I prefer to run heavier, thicker tyres generally on any rim choice. If I were an XC race snake I'd certainly look at something lighter, but considering I have been running the same tyre on my everyday Crests it was a far better way to compare the feel without the influence of a difference tyre choice. 

In the end, it is your opinion versus someone else's on tire choice. Carbon rims are the raciest of rims and should be paired with light tires in order to maximise speed.

You must remember that not everyone bashes about on a rigid SS, and we al have different needs :)

In the end, it is your opinion versus someone else's on tire choice. Carbon rims are the raciest of rims and should be paired with light tires in order to maximise speed.

You must remember that not everyone bashes about on a rigid SS, and we al have different needs :)

but carbon rims aren't all about weight. A good rim weight is in the same region as a set of Crests or Flows (420g - 520g) depending on the width, layup and intended purpose

The primary reason for going carbon on rims is because of the STIFFNESS they provide vs normal alu rims. 

In determining the difference between carbon & alu rims, should one not go for the tyres that one is used to riding? Or go for the highest amount of grip possible so that they can determine whether they are in fact more laterally stiff than other rims?

I think you're missing the primary purpose here... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Not always true, luke. You've fallen into your own trap here. 

I say again - stiffness. Not weight. 

You can still have an uber stiff wheel with a set of DH tyres and it'll be markedly better / stiffer / more responsive than a different, alu wheelset that weighs the same. 

I'd say the stiffness factor outweighs (pardon the pun) the weight factor when one really looks at the value offered by a carbon wheelset.

I run these, which happen to weigh only slightly less than a set of alloy Havens (which aren't heavy by standards, but just for example). Yes, it's cool that they're a contributing factor to my bike weighing in at 12.6kg even though it's a 155/160mm beast, but I don't think that makes them worth the eye-watering cost. It's the stiffness which sets them apart. Once you realise that when you pick a line into super-gnarly stuff, your line simply sticks, you begin to appreciate them.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

I'd say the stiffness factor outweighs (pardon the pun) the weight factor when one really looks at the value offered by a carbon wheelset.

I run these, which happen to weigh only slightly less than a set of alloy Havens (which aren't heavy by standards, but just for example). Yes, it's cool that they're a contributing factor to my bike weighing in at 12.6kg even though it's a 155/160mm beast, but I don't think that makes them worth the eye-watering cost. It's the stiffness which sets them apart. Once you realise that you when pick a line into super-gnarly stuff, your line simply sticks, you begin to appreciate them.

True. Even more so on 29ers which suffer more from wheel deflection than any other wheel size.

To echo Myles for me (and many who go carbon) it was all about the stiffness. The weight advantage over a decent set of xc/marathon alu rims isn't massive, but the difference in stiffness is the biggest gain. 

True. Even more so on 29ers which suffer more from wheel deflection than any other wheel size.

SQUIRREL!

BTW. That's a sign of how easy it is for a niner wheel to deflect, and why it's important to get a stiffer setup. Carbonz does this. 

To echo Myles for me (and many who go carbon) it was all about the stiffness. The weight advantage over a decent set of xc/marathon alu rims isn't massive, but the difference in stiffness is the biggest gain. 

That's what she said... 

:ph34r:

Okay. Seriously now... that's exactly it. You honestly have to feel the difference to appreciate it. Inputs are sharper, lines are held more easily, direction changes happen instantaneously and often take you by surprize with how they just HAPPEN with so little input. You have to readjust because everything is just that much sharper.