Specialized- Think twice

TerryT

I have always received great service from Specialized and my local concept store. From my wife's R 6k rockhopper to my own R60k Stumpy.

Let me know if I can make you an offer for your Specialized bikes Terry, there are just too many tjops on Specialized bikes at present, It's not good for us guys who's been supporting the brand since before Burry made it the biggest bike brand in SA.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand your story. You were buying a second hand bike off the Hub and it's this second hand bike that was cracked.

Firstly, if the second hand bike is cracked, just walk away and look elsewhere.

Secondly, in the cycle industry, warranties do not transfer to the second owner. You should consider yourself lucky that you were offered any frame at all as a replacement as most brands would have sent you packing.

Take the white frame and run. You wouldn't get a deal that good from another brand.

Also don't understand why you are dealing with 2 stores... Great bikes, great brand, not so great representative. Leave Graham to sink his store, seems he is quite competent, and well on his way...

Why slate Specialized, when they offered to warranty the frame?

I am sure they would have supplied you the correct colour if you were prepared to wait.

Melrose Arch said they would even do the upgrade, so why not do it with them?

Specialized cannot supply the correct color,

Melrose Arch cannot do the upgrade as they did not process the warranty claim,

Centurion is just refusing to help, to do an upgrade,

The branch is representing the Specialized brand, they are acting on behalf of the mother company, the mother company should control their dealers,

The branch is representing the Specialized brand, they are acting on behalf of the mother company, the mother company should control their dealers,

Ok, the whole world is against you. Shame.

Congratulations though. Your solipsism has done what I considered impossible; empathise with Spez.

what is the old saying....

Dont speak to the guy that cannot help solve your problem. Go over his head...spez SA, spez US and then if you dont get results...straight to mike the main man himself. 

Your expectations are a bit heavy though...replacing in a colour YOU want..(no manufacturer can offer this)

Doing an upgrade as part of a warrantee...not standard practise.

I had my warranty done by Gert in the Centurion store, and had my new frame within a week. Yes it was a different colour to my original frame, but they warranteed it and I walked away happy.

I agree with everyone that you have a gripe with Graham, not with specialized. He did his job in processing your warranty as per their policy. 

Also don't understand why you are dealing with 2 stores... Great bikes, great brand, not so great representative. Leave Graham to sink his store, seems he is quite competent, and well on his way...

Actually, the OP is trying to claim on a bike that he doesn't own (the crack was discovered before conclusion of sale) and the bike was bought elsewhere. Can you blame Graham for his attitude?

Then my nightmare started when i had to deal with Specialized Cyclery Centurion-Graham in particular,

Cannot believe the rudeness of this person, his way or the highway….

Was negotiating a private purchase being advertised on Bikehub- a 2014 Orange Epic Expert World,

Noticed before the sale was concluded a crack on the front steering/front arm as well as bottom of frame at crank section, because the bike was sold by Lynwood, Centurion branch processed the warranty claim(same dealer owners)

If I understand your story. You were buying a second hand bike off the Hub and it's this second hand bike that was cracked.

Firstly, if the second hand bike is cracked, just walk away and look elsewhere.

Secondly, in the cycle industry, warranties do not transfer to the second owner. You should consider yourself lucky that you were offered any frame at all as a replacement as most brands would have sent you packing.

Take the white frame and run. You wouldn't get a deal that good from another brand.

I would take Longbarns advice

Your last statement is like motorists saying ALL cyclists are inconsiderate aholes.....

Report the branch and person your are dealing with, and support the shops that give you good service.

Don't try and sink the whole company because of one difficult person

Actually, the OP is trying to claim on a bike that he doesn't own (the crack was discovered before conclusion of sale) and the bike was bought elsewhere. Can you blame Graham for his attitude?

There is seldom a good reason to have a bad attitude.

I'm surprised no one has asked for Graham's side of the story yet.... Sis the Hub is slacking!

I have been to most of the concept stores in the country

Charles Stander's store from KZN is probably the best,with the one in the Westrand in 2nd to me

It's really the staff who make or break a company ..

Wait till you deal with the Spec shop in Bedfordview, they the worst.

No prices on anything, they grunt odd quotes at you. All very odd.

I do agree that their pricing is a bit confusing.  Does this mean that you can negotiate? Seems so?? Kinda like Cajees

BUT

I've only received good service from Bedfordview.  I don't ride Spez bikes (yet) but loves the shoes.  They've been super when I had a warranty claim on a pair of road shoes - exceeded my expectations which are quite high.

Don't always agree with what they say (their sales talk), but I found them very accommodating when I looked around for a Cx bike the past few weeks.

Edited by Underachiever

I agree with Longbarn - you are lucky that they even entertained your warranty claim. They could easily have repudiated it with no further implications to them. If anything it sounds like Spez SA was inadequately advised by their claim handlers / advisers.

Bike stores do not owe you anything and do not misconceive good LBS service with entitlement.

I have been a Spez client for a few years now and Spez Lynnwood is awesome with some of the best service that I have come across. Them being the same owners of the Centurion branch I find it difficult to accept that what you are complaining about is not subjectively motivated and selfish.

If you honestly feel that you have been wronged, stop complaining and do something about it, but it will be at your own peril. 

If you are truly confident and correct in saying it is a brand thing, well, publish something formally on the social media networks and see how well that works out for you. Just save some money for legal costs!

Cheers guys and yes - it is almost Friday!

see attack any other brand /business every hubber packs on them alsoand thrashes them them with you

attack spazalised and everyone attacks YOU - its a lemming reaction :clap:

hahahaha they must put something in those spaz waterbottles other than water :w00t: