Electric mountain bikes

Rapunzel

Electric mountain bikes  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should electric mountain bikes be allowed on regular trails?

• Yes, I'm happy to share trails with them
    • Indifferent
    • No, they belong off singletrack

Your Honour.

May I present my Motion to merge this with the old farts thread?

Ag nee , please . Merge it with the old e bike thread.

Edit: Your Honour

Edited by Blokman

i have an e bike and love it

now i can cycle with younger wife and 2 sons and keep up

family also says i push them on the uphills so they get pushed to ride harder

most guys who anti e bikes are ignorant

most e bikes are not driven by a throttle but what ever you pedal the bike matches its pedal driven not a throttle

so you cant ride if you dont pedal

and if you pedal slow you go slow

also due to laws in europe most e bikes are governed to not exceed 25 kms an hour at 25 kms an hour the motor switches off

so yes on the flats you do 25 kms an hour and on the uphills you get close to that at about 21 kms an hour

but downhill all you get is what most other bikes get but due to weight and handling probably far less

so the whole fear of e bikes shredding the trails and been a danger is a fallacy

e bikes are awesome and i fully realise most hubbers will be anti e bikes but in my view its time attitudes change

any thing that allows more people to ride cant be a bad idea can it ?

Wow, you are like the anti-DIPSLICK

Cannot disagree with that bit in bold up there... glad you're out there enjoying riding!

If an ebike allows people to ride in places with people they couldnt otherwise, then its a good thing. I had a life changing accident on a bicycle 3 years ago, and an ebike will allow me to do the things i used to do. I will be sharing the trails with my mates on an ebike.

uhmm he wasnt the OP. he answered a thread that someone else started

just saying

dissing a guy for his views is okay

dissing a guy for something he never did is just churlish

I said he REVIVED a three year old thread. I didn't say he is the OP. You must have assumed that.

And my statement was a direct reply to his post. Where he inferred that you needed an ebike to go faster, have fun etc..

Lastly, it's possible to remove the speed restrictions on the ebikes. So that safety net falls away. And this is when it gets hairy. (I know this as I have ridden one of them.)

Screw it, I'm going to go ride my bike, I suggest you go do the same. Arguing on the internet about e-bikes is like having a pissing into the wind. You might win, but when it's done you can't remember why it mattered in the first place.

Edited by PhilipV

I thought we had solved this already?

Emotorbikes are cool for everywhere but races....

We had, but now it seems ebike riders feel they are superior and us mere mortals who ride bikes for the fun of it are ignorant and uneducated.....

The other day an Ou Ballie was climbing up to the Blockhouse, we just couldn't close the gap and we were pushing full gas. Once we got to the top I saw it was an e-bike, He bothered absolutely nobody and he was out there enjoying the view. I thought that was cool.

My brother did the Burger 50km and was dicing an ebike, oke got a heart condition so the ebike gives him the opportunity to still enjoy mountain biking.

I am in good shape, but I would be a fool to think I will stay like this forever, anything can happen and when it does, hopefully I can still enjoy mountain biking because of e-bikes.

So a Yes to me

We had, but now it seems ebike riders feel they are superior and us mere mortals who ride bikes for the fun of it are ignorant and uneducated.....

Don't judge all emotorbikers by the comments of a few :-)

And in direct conflict with my previous statement - ALL emotorbikers that don't have a valid medical condition are lazy arsed wimps :-)

They don't worry me one way or the other BUT I reckon they should have to have those long fiberglass poles with a little flag on the top like most kids bike have in Europe so idiots like me don't chase them around Thaba unnecessarily [emoji13]

They don't worry me one way or the other BUT I reckon they should have to have those long fiberglass poles with a little flag on the top like most kids bike have in Europe so idiots like me don't chase them around Thaba unnecessarily [emoji13]

ha ha, precisely what happened to me, but it was a good workout nevertheless, I probably would have dropped to zone 2 and gave up the chase if I knew it was an ebike.

In the morning on mountain commute, there is an ebike that gets me on the climb and then I'm sukkeling and the dude glides past, then I hate ebikes. :thumbup:

Went for a spin in Tokai this evening and got lapped by a guy on a Spez' ebike. Had a coil shock on the back and Fox 36 up front. The way he shot up the climb from the bottom of vasbyt was pretty incredible. Honestly by the time I was pedaling towards the bottom of AM he was just finishing that run. Had a chat to him briefly and he'd nailed a hell of a lot of loops already in a franky tiny time on the mountain. Seems he came from a MX background so the weight and different feel was no big deal and seems the stably was incredible. 

It made me think different about their uses and not just for old guys who need a bit of help. It seems a good solution to get more rides in. I'm focused on going down mountains and to be honest I'm pretty 'meh' about the slog up to the trail head (heresy I know. Earn your downs blah, blah). If I can nail 3 or 4 sessions on a ride compared to the one loop under my own power then I'd put my hand up and say it's something i'd be interested. With more core brands now having a ebike in their line up and more development happening it's going to be pretty interesting in the next few years.