Newbie First Purchase Advice (Specialized Camber Comp 2015)

Muttley

Hi guys,

So I'm new to this forum and new to Mountain Biking in general.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me a bit of advice regarding the purchase of my first proper mtb.

Quick history:

Been to a few cycle shops and was most impressed by Complete Cyclist in Bedfordview- they invited me to the Modderfontein Nature Reserve this morning to try out some bikes (Specialized Epic Comp and Specialized Camber Comp). I rode both bikes and most certainly preferred the Camber Comp. 

Having said this, I realise that the bike which I rode was not the exact same bike which they've offered me- in fact it had slightly better components (Shimano Gears with Internal Cable Routing) than what they've offered me a deal on which is the Camber FSR Comp 29 - 2015 Model for R29 000. 

Is this a decent bike to start out with? When I usually make such purchases, I like to get something that's quite decent and something that I won't need to change for the next few years (considering that I'm keen to do casual riding at this stage).

I'm also not sure on the price that they've offered me or if I should consider the 2016 model which is going for +- R33 000. Having said this, their service has been excellent and it's the type of store which I'd like to build a relationship with cos I know that they'll take care of me.

I would really appreciate your guys input...

Thanks,

Martin

I would stretch the budget a wee bit, and get a 2015 Camber comp carbon. Quite  bit stiffer and lighter than the Alu, and much prettier. It is a great great bike. Thousands of riders across SA riding them. Cant go wrong.

And queue the Spaz haters. :ph34r:

I would stretch the budget a wee bit, and get a 2015 Camber comp carbon. Quite  bit stiffer and lighter than the Alu, and much prettier. It is a great great bike. Thousands of riders across SA riding them. Cant go wrong.

Thanks for the feedback... I've heard about these haters  :cursing:

Guest Hellrider

I would stretch the budget a wee bit, and get a 2015 Camber comp carbon. Quite bit stiffer and lighter than the Alu, and much prettier. It is a great great bike. Thousands of riders across SA riding them. Cant go wrong.

I agree with Johny B here. Just note that the 2016 comp carbon is 1 x 11 speed and the 2016 comp is 2 x 10 if I recall correctly.

Thanks for all the input- Is the Carbon version not overkill for an enthusiast in the making?

I'll certainly make enquiries in terms of the price... wee could be a lot  :mellow:

The alu model is a perfect entry into the MTB world. I had a 2014 Camber Comp and it was a fantastic bike. You don't need carbon - rather spend the extra R's on good kit and all the other necessities. 

There are obviously a lot of new and used bikes to consider, given your budget, but if you've got your heart set on the Camber, go for it.  :thumbup:

It's your bike and your money, not the bikehub's.

Post pics when you've got your steed!

The alu model is a perfect entry into the MTB world. I had a 2014 Camber Comp and it was a fantastic bike. You don't need carbon - rather spend the extra R's on good kit and all the other necessities. 

There are obviously a lot of new and used bikes to consider, given your budget, but if you've got your heart set on the Camber, go for it.  :thumbup:

Thanks for this... I'll keep you posted !

Thanks for all the input- Is the Carbon version not overkill for an enthusiast in the making?

Not really, it's more of a budget thing. If you have money to burn, go carbon (don't forget the plastic bike bragging rights), if not, there's nothing wrong with Al.

You should also test out the 2016 model. It's been redesigned: more travel, different frame geos, 27.5 wheel option, etc..

I would go for a 2016 model, if at all possible.

I would defn ride the 2016 before making up my mind.

the camber is a great bike - I own a 2014 camber comp carbon (same as 2015 model).

The 2016 model, however, is substantially different - updated rear sus, 1x11 (comp carbon and above), slacker head tube angle, wider rims, shimano brakes.

Very well said. (says someone who owns the same model bike you described).

I would go for a 2016 model, if at all possible.

I would defn ride the 2016 before making up my mind.

the camber is a great bike - I own a 2014 camber comp carbon (same as 2015 model).

The 2016 model, however, is substantially different - updated rear sus, 1x11 (comp carbon and above), slacker head tube angle, wider rims, shimano brakes.

Agree.  2016 model is a far more playful machine than 2015 and arguably a more "get on and go" build.  I would haggle the shop to chuck in a dropper at the full price point, then the bike is truly shred-ready ;)

Definitely go 2016 at that price difference. It's a new model cycle and not just a new colour scheme.

Also you will find that Specialized is actually good value in comparison to some other 'very big' brands. You don't get bottom of the range tyres and saddles etc from the comp models up.   

Definitely go 2016 at that price difference. It's a new model cycle and not just a new colour scheme.

Also you will find that Specialized is actually good value in comparison to some other 'very big' brands. You don't get bottom of the range tyres and saddles etc from the comp models up.   

Thanks for your feedback - all you guys are epic!

I'm going back to the store this morning so will go with lots and lots of questions. It would be great if the Specialized website allowed you to compare different model years of their bikes on their site..... WIsh me luck!  :eek: