Clicking noise from cassette area

Fernando

Hi Guys

I recently bought a new bike and have just gotten delivery of it, but it makes an odd ticking over sound from the gears or cassette. Its like its struggling to change but im not changing. It doesnt battle to change gear and it gets particularly loud in the middle gears. Any idea what to do? Its 11 speed ultegra.

Sounds like you need to get the gears properly tuned. Sometimes the gear cable stretches or its not bolted on tight enough. Take it back and have it checked out

Had a similar issue with my 10 spd XT, turned out to be the free hub that wasn't running true (cassette having a slight "wobble"), causing one tooth of the bigger sprocket to catch the chain every revolution in the same spot. Didn't feel like replacing it, so I slacked off the cable tension a 1/2 turn, seems to have done the trick for now. So in a nutshell, yeah "tune the gears"lol.

problem is Iv taken this bike on holiday with me, to ride and have discovered the issue now while being away

Play with the cable tensioner. most times the cable is a bit tight so when you change up the chain is already starting to change up again  - so turn the cable adjuster in or clockwise when looking at it from the top this will slacken the cable and should fix it.

Only turn the adjuster 1/4 turn at a time until the noise is gone.

Ok have resolved the ticking over sound from the cassette area, using the barrel adjuster on the rear mech, but now the chain is rubbing against the front mech. Any ideas?

Ok have resolved the ticking over sound from the cassette area, using the barrel adjuster on the rear mech, but now the chain is rubbing against the front mech. Any ideas?

That depends on which gear/ring combination you're in. If you have a narrow front mech with no trim functionality, some rubbing may be inevitable at the extreme ends of the gearing (i.e. big:big, small:small). If not, adjust that one too, you should have an inline adjuster somewhere (I'm assuming this is a roadbike based on the fact that you have a barrel on the rear mech).

Edited by cairbre